Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)
  • Things that are just a bloody stupid idea
  • Premier Icon kelvin

I think there’s a misunderstanding between what you think they mean by contactless, and what they rest of the world understands it to mean?

You should be able to choose the contactless payment and no bags options by using the app.

Premier Icon zippykona

Lining perfectly breathable leather boots with **** foam and nylon.
    Just **** why?

Premier Icon b230ftw
    Free Member

Wooden worktop – got them, still look ace after 5 years and never sanded them, just occasional Osmo oil on them.
    Belfast sinks – agree. Complete waste of time. I have a proper SS sink on my wooden worktop.

Gravel bikes – I was a hater, swore never to have one then I bought one on a whim and I love it. Go figure.

Electric opening tailgates – if you are shorter like my wife then it’ll mean the difference between driving around with it open until she can find someone to shut it for her otherwise!! We have in the past fitted shorter gas struts to enable her to reach the bootlid when it’s open. Don’t have a huge car at the moment so not an issue though.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Gravel bikes – I was a hater, swore never to have one then I bought one on a whim and I love it. Go figure.

– Forming strong opinions from a position of ignorance 😉

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

those swing your foot under the bumper tailgates are a pain in the head when you are trying to get out of soaking wet PPE and the thing keeps closing on you.

Premier Icon fossy

Beware, not all granite worktops are the same.

My sister had a lovely kitchen put in, sparkling black granite tops. Except everything stains it. God knows what they got, but literally water, coffee etc stains the surface. You can’t see the surface as everything is covered in mats. What’s the point !

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

GU-10 light fitting.

#bastards

We had black granite worktops at our last house and they were amazing. I’m sure that they could have stopped an anti tank round if required. The only down side was that it would destroy anything that you dropped on it.

Premier Icon kayak23

12 speed on an ebike.

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

We have in the past fitted shorter gas struts to enable her to reach the bootlid when it’s open.

Bit of rope tied to something on the inside of the tailgate would sort that. My last two cars had a handle/strap to help reach the tailgate.

Premier Icon VanHalen

marble/stone workstops – **** hateful to fit, really sodding expensive, look shit and really **** noisy thereafter. just a **** terrible idea.

i love my wood worktop.

oh and boost spacing. **** off SRAM! – what a **** pointless load of shit making everything harder to fit together.

and 12 speed! – you can shove that up your arse as well.

Premier Icon nickc

don’t sit on fence VanHalen, tell us what you really think o0f 12 speed

Premier Icon Cougar

Admittedly they look nice, but only for about a week. And then they start to look crap

I think that’s the point of them? Folk want them to look rustic, lived-in. I have a friend who’s really into this stuff: repurposing old futons as a workbench; railway sleeper for a mantlepiece; reclaimed driftwood as a shelf; staircase banister fashioned from old rope that used to be on the side of her boyfriend’s dad’s old boat or something; etc etc.

Personally I’m with you, I think it looks crap. But she’s like “oh, that red stain on the table, that’s when Claire knocked over a glass of wine on my 40th birthday! That was a great night, remember when Dave drank half a bottle of tequila and threw up? You can still see…”

Her entire house tells a story, or at least it did until she moved about a month ago. Last we spoke she was building garden furniture out of a couple of pallets or something. Weird woman.

Premier Icon Cougar

My vote goes to touch screens in cars.

As a lover of technology generally I’m right with you on this one. Invented by Bloody Stupid Johnson. Why have a physical button you can find in the dark from muscle memory when instead you can have a function six levels deep in a menu system that you’re already a different six levels deep into and you’re doing 70mph in the middle lane of the M6 at rush hour and you know what I think I’ll just open the bloody window instead.

Johnson. /PTerry

I swear on my life that I typed the above before reading this.

I sort of get the waving your foot under the back ones

I had this feature on a car once. I read it in the handbook, thought “ooh!” and ran outside waving my foot about under the back bumper for a good five minutes trying to get the bastard thing to open, to no avail. Went back indoors, carried on reading. “… optional extra.”

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

I had this feature on a car once. I read it in the handbook, thought “ooh!” and ran outside waving my foot about under the back bumper for a good five minutes trying to get the bastard thing to open, to no avail. Went back indoors, carried on reading. “… optional extra.”

I think my car has autonomous emergency braking but I’m not game to actually test it to see if it really does. (If it does, it’s a good idea though.)

Premier Icon Cougar

On the sink theme, for my Room 101 offering I give you: over-engineered sink plugs.

I mean, this was already a Solved Problem, right? But no, we have to **** about with something that’s worked just fine for centuries. It’ll be electronic handbrakes in cars next, mark my words.

You’ve got the remote control ones beloved of hotel rooms, a little lever or a turny-dial connected to a complex series of Heath Robinson levers which are broken more often than they are functional. I must’ve rebuilt the one back at my girlfriend’s old house a dozen times in as many months. The plug itself has a height adjuster bolt which the entire goddamn world seems incapable of adjusting correctly so even when the stupid mechanism works it either doesn’t lift high enough to actually drain the sink or doesn’t drop low enough to fill it.

Then you’ve got the spinny-disc ones. Have we all seen those? The plug is captively mounted on a diametric axle, so you push one side of it down to open / close it. Because, what, sink plugs are highly expensive and often stolen? So you fill the sink, wash your hands / face / armpits / knob / whatever, dry yourself up, then realise you’ve got to go and fish about in the grubby water again to empty it. And there’s no drain-side / sink-side demarcation, the face of the plug sitting in the drain for the last week could now be face-up as you’re getting washed.

And then we’ve got the ones we have in here, arguably the worst of both worlds above. They’re clicky-downy clicky-uppy like the button atop a pen. Stupid height adjuster which for added LOLs is in the throat of the drain and near-impossible to access; fish about in the sink after you’ve dried your hands once, check; the stupid thing seals with a rubber ring which slides inside the throat (ooh, Matron) rather than any sort of taper so it constantly dribbles water out (they write themselves, don’t they).

Ridiculous.

Premier Icon Cougar

I think my car has autonomous emergency braking but I’m not game to actually test it to see if it really does.

I resemble this remark.

I’ve (allegedly) had it on the last two cars I’ve had. On my current car it’s linked with the adaptive cruise and I know it works because every now and again it’ll spy a parked car I’m about to drive around or a car in a right-turn filter lane waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic, then in response promptly shit itself and try to bounce my head off the steering wheel.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Bathroom sinks that have a non-sloping profile behind the taps, preventing any water from naturally falling into the bowl.

Premier Icon jimw
    Free Member

I found out that my last car had autonomous brakes when driving up to a very narrow bridge with stone parapets in Northumberland, the road turned sharply left to go over the bridge, but the car clearly thought that I was going to hit the wall. Slammed the brakes on and a big warning sign on the dash. Scared the crap out of me ad the car behind. Luckily as the bridge was so narrow I was only doing about 15mph anyway and the other driver was paying attention so no collision. He probably thought that I was an idiot though

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

And glass shower screen that “seal” against the flat edge of the bath with a strip of silicon? Why not have the side of the bath sloping or stepped, or the screen mounted inside. Then physics and gravity can do the work instead of that nasty mouldy green/black “sealing” strip.

Premier Icon franksinatra

Things that are a bloody stupid idea?

A lion, in a side car, on a wall of death. I can’t decide if it is a bloody stupid idea or one of the best things that has ever happened in the history of the world.

And Brexit.

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with wooden worktops and Belfast sinks. But they belong in artist’s studios and workshops. If you’ve got them in your home because they look good but you get stressed by a few chips and dings, well… I don’t know what to say. I bet you can’t even reach the washing-up at the bottom can you? Eh? Can you? 😉

See also: people getting stressed about tiny scratches and dents on their cars, which are kept on the street and spend all week jostling in the city traffic. Madness.

Seeing as this is a sink-heavy thread, I’m going to go with those **** little wash basins that are too small or not deep enough to be of any use for anything, with added bonus of high pressure/large volume tap which immediately rushes over the stupid low-angle slope of the stupid little sink and all over your trousers. Plus non-removable plug which gets blocked round the sides every time you have a shave.

Premier Icon IdleJon

A lion, in a side car, on a wall of death. I can’t decide if it is a bloody stupid idea or one of the best things that has ever happened in the history of the world.

Well, the lion seems to be enjoying itself!

Premier Icon Cougar

Oh.

Printers. They can get in the sea as well.

I got my first computer in 1983. Back then it was a prick of a job to get a paragraph onto a piece of paper, and almost 40 years later little has changed.

Premier Icon Cougar

Poor thing must be knackered. I bet it’ll sleep tonight!

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

Electric opening tailgates on cars.

The need to hide boot release from the owner of the car – lets disguise it as a badge or hide it under the ledge above the number plate – but if you have to find it my touch –  lets make it indistinguishable from any of the other vague lumps and bumps under there too.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Oh.

Printers. They can get in the sea as well.

Printers have clearly been invented by someone who has never actually had to print something or ever seen a piece of A4 paper. How can something that is relatively simple be such a total utter nightmare to use?!

I mean, OK, the idea of a printer itself is not stupid however the design and implementation of said printer has always been very very stupid indeed.

Same with vacuum cleaners. Great idea. Usually a woeful design, like the people who invented the motor and attachments have never met the people who design the bags.

Premier Icon feed

Poor thing must be knackered. I bet it’ll sleep tonight!

Probably thinking
    “I’ll sleep tonight,
    It’s only a spin away,
    a spin away,
    a spin away”

Premier Icon zippykona

Double rant.

Premier Icon mrchrispy

I’m assuming someone has already said Brexit ?

Premier Icon cakefacesmallblock

Wooden toilet seats ( see also wooden worktops).
    White upvc door cills.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Pretty sure the story goes that the lion was terrified and pissed itself, which in turn, rotted the wall.

Premier Icon franksinatra

I’m assuming someone has already said Brexit ?

I said Brexit but worthy of a second vote.

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

Electronic/electric hand brakes…..
    No fun in snow covered car parks, and completely crap for hill starts when you ‘automatic brake hold’ decides it’s too hot and doesn’t want to play…..

A cable handbrake saved me & my car when I was in my early 20’s and the master cylinder seals decided they wanted a day off – not helpful on a national speed limit road coming up to an island… Imagine doing that with just an on/off switch!!

Premier Icon fasthaggis

Leaving an Ex’s phone number as the contact on a crash detection app 😜

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Reversing cameras in cars. Yes I’m talking about you lady who reversed in to my house because you were looking at the camera and not using your **** mirrors.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

I think my car has autonomous emergency braking but I’m not game to actually test it to see if it really does.

I resemble this remark.

I’ve (allegedly) had it on the last two cars I’ve had. On my current car it’s linked with the adaptive cruise and I know it works because every now and again it’ll spy a parked car I’m about to drive around or a car in a right-turn filter lane waiting for a gap in oncoming traffic, then in response promptly shit itself and try to bounce my head off the steering wheel.

I’ve got it, it’s triggered twice, at exactly the same spot in Builth Wells (I think) 12 months apart. My Wife’s triggers when someone decided to pull out on her on a narrow road.

As for bloody stupid ideas, lane assist. It works well on a simple road like a motorway and will gently stop you straying out of lane, but on rural roads, or worse roads that have been redrawn and there are old markings about, it’s not much fun when you’re driving and suddenly it’s tugging the wheel because you’ve driven over a bit of white paint or something.

Not fit for purpose.

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

I agree with lane assist – if you can’t drive between the lines you shouldn’t be driving!

Premier Icon tomhoward

Reversing cameras in cars.

Not quite the same, but MrsTH has had a number of bumps from hitting stuff because she didn’t trust the (screaming) parking assist beeps…

Premier Icon scud

hand dryers in toilets that don’t dry your hands, they move the water around a bit, then you wipe your hands on trouser legs…

my Apple Smart watch that tells me having ridden 100 miles that day, that i have done enough exercise but i have failed my targets as i haven’t stood up enough..and then nags me to breathe correctly.

Premier Icon Cougar

Wooden toilet seats

I quite like a wooden toilet seat. They don’t get cold. Terrible idea in places like pubs where, well, y’know, wood is a bit on the absorbent side. But at a home not filled with animals…

Pretty sure the story goes that the lion was terrified and pissed itself, which in turn, rotted the wall.

“I’ll wee my way, I’ll wee my way…”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.