Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • Things in sports you don't understand
  • matt_outandabout

Why so many road riders have such high gearing in the hills.
    Why divers have such undersized cossies or budgie smugglers.
    Why slalom kayakers/canoeists use such old designs of helmet.

kayak23

Why slalom kayakers/canoeists use such old designs of helmet.

Yeah I always wondered that. Must be some regulation or suttin.

I don’t understand much track cycling or roadie races for that matter.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why horse dancing is a sport, and monkey tennis isn’t?

nickc

why the women gymnasts where so much make-up.

bearnecessities

Why anyone would want to be a football referee.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Why horse dancing is a sport, and monkey tennis isn’t?

It’s to do with how many people are involved. Playing tennis with a monkey (i’m thinking more as doubles partner than as a racket) would be a sport. Two monkeys playing with each other would YouTube sensation but not a sport.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why people who pay a small fortune for a season ticket, £100 pcm for satellite TV and many hundreds of pounds on reploca shirts and half time beer & food every seasom complain when football players act like over paid premadonnas who fail to perform for a national side when comparatively they earn nothing for playing for their country.

jam-bo

Helmet list.

http://www.canoeicf.com/sites/default/files/icf_csl_equipment_register_june_2016.pdf

But I guess from my slalom days, if you’re cutting it fine on gates, you want the lowest profile helmet &BA you can get away with. Not the standard WW hero sweet rocker or playboater sweet strutter.

garage-dweller

How people whose job is not in sport manage to know and regurgitate a range of statistics, sports people’s career histories, underwear preferences etc. About a range of sports that they probably don’t even play and still have brain power for their day job.

wallop

Rugby (which way can you throw? I always forget)

Cricket (how can you play for five days and still draw!? :?)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Why golfers can’t carry their own clubs?
    Why tennis players spend half the match sitting down having a rest?
    Downhill/Bmx pyjamas.
    Why heptathletes cant do 10 events?
    Why people pay money to watch overpaid footballers underperform?
    Why so many people hero worship F1 drivers when they are in vastly superior cars?
    And yes, dancing horses…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Why are all Badmington Club Treasurerers are called Clifford.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cricket is the greatest sport in the world. Unless there is another sport where you stop for lunch and again for afternoon tea, in which case cricket is the equal greatest sport in the world.

garage-dweller

What are the two jacuzzi/ bath things that the Olympic divers get into after each dive.

ton

why footballers get more money than a brain or heart surgeon.

skaifan
    Free Member

Why the bloke in the keirin thinks no one will notice that he’s on a motorbike. Every time he gets disqualified just before the finish but he relentlessly tries to get away with it every time.

Golf.

Why schools never do snooker or darts on sports day. We’re quite good at it in the uk.

Why cricket has never got past the test match stage. Surely they’d know how to play it properly by now.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Why the customers at work you see every day are perfectly civil Monday to Friday become total animals when they’re in a football shirt on a Saturday afternoon.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

garage-dweller – Member
    What are the two jacuzzi/ bath things that the Olympic divers get into after each dive.

They’re to wash off the green algae

DezB
    Free Member

People who pay to see a live sporting event (which is televised, you know wiv proper camera and angles and quality and that) and watch it through their phone. Filming it. On their shitty little screen.
    I really don’t understand that.

nosedive
    Free Member

Why golf is in the olympics but downhill mountain biking isn’t

mikey74
    Free Member

To keep the muscles warm.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

RESPECT

Unless, it’s ironic

slowoldman

why the women gymnasts where so much make-up.

Have you seen them without?

Currently wondering about dads on kiddies bikes as mentioned elsewhere. Dancing horses are OK though.

aracer
    Free Member

Do they? What do you think is wrong with what they use?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How the Chinese manage to keep their female gymnasts in a child like stasis.

aracer
    Free Member

Why a local English football match is more important than the Olympics 😈

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Steve McLaren. WHY?

matt_outandabout

Do they? What do you think is wrong with what they use?

Many are.
    It would be like comparing modern trail helmet level of protection with 1980’s helmet protection.

Coyote
    Free Member

Tribalism.

I’m a Wigan lad and Wigan Warriors* fan, Apparently I’m supposed to HATE St. Helens, despise Leeds and show a healthy disrespect towards Warrington. Sorry but I don’t get it. I am a passionate Warriors fan and love watching the team but I can’t hate another set of players simply because of where they come from. Half the players aren’t from the towns anyway.

Same with the football. Why hate another fan because of where they come from? Sounds a bit like an acceptable form of bigotry.

*Proper rugby. Not that kick and clap stuff.

jam-bo

Olympic level Slalom is in such a safe, controlled environment paddled by such skilled paddlers I’d say they could safely paddle without a BA or a helmet.

Northwind

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKGVaAfJM0I[/video]

crikey
    Free Member

It would be like comparing modern trail helmet level of protection with 1980’s helmet protection.

A casual glance at helmet protection standards would suggest that modern trail helmets offer less protection than 1980s helmets because of a change in testing.

Cycle helmets sold in the UK
    today generally offer a lower level
    of protection than those sold in
    the early 1990s. This is due in
    the main to the introduction of
    the European EN1078 standard,
    which is weaker than the Snell
    standards then used (see below).

From http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf

zokes
    Free Member

*Proper rugby.

Yer right. Come back when you find the correct number of players, can scrummage properly, and have learned how to win the ball from the opposing team, rather than getting it by default after six hugs.

fasthaggis

Why John Inverdale is still on the telly and has more makeup than the women gymnasts.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

What Coyote said, all of it.

Wookster

zokes – Still not a customer
    *Proper rugby.
    Yer right. Come back when you find the correct number of players, can scrummage properly, and have learned how to win the ball from the opposing team, rather than getting it by default after six hugs.
    POSTED 38 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

So so true….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Where all the Man City fans were 10 years ago. 😐

aracer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go that far, but neither are they going to be bouncing their heads off rocks in a way which demands huge amounts of protection (arguably neither are most recreational paddlers). I certainly can’t remember any head injuries due to helmet failure back in the 80s – not even on “natural” rivers like the Trywerwyn, which I’ve navigated with my head nearest the river bed on occasion.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

why footballers get more money than a brain or heart surgeon.

+1

lunge

Why DH and BMX riders don’t wear Lycra that is clearly quicker and more comfortable. Same applies to recreational MTBers in truth.

Why England football fans seem to think the team will win every tournament they enter despite them being consistently average.

Why female tennis players don’t play 5 sets.

Why there are apparently no performance enhancing drugs in football and rugby (yeah, right).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Things in sports you don't understand’ is closed to new replies.