Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Things I found out today
  • Cougar

What about a non-aggressive No Parking sign?

Brilliant.

Should the need ever arise, it’s written into my house deeds that I have legally entitled passage down the back street for my horse.

rhinofive

tu es Parisien et je réclame mes cinq euros

jambourgie
    If I had my way, all cars in cities would have to be tiny hatchbacks with massive bumpers. And you’re not allowed to claim from other people for twatty little knocks and scratches. That should be seen as part of the consequences of using your personal possessions in the street.

johnners
    Free Member

I found myself having to drive to the stereotype because no bugger gives you an even break, you indicate and rather than letting you out people accelerate to close gaps.

I’ve heard that a lot but I found no difference in how I was treated in my 10 year old Mondeo and now in my 10 year old BMW. Maybe it’s just new cars, or they’re all being horrible to me all the time and I’ve not noticed.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My fake 60’s sports car gets let out of junctions and given way more courtesy than the Range Rover ever was.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Whilst Jon is (sadly) correct regarding kerbs etc and there’s no law against parking on the pavement (unless you’re in London where there’s a bylaw), it is I believe unlawful to wilfully obstruct the highway / footway. So if you can’t get a wheelchair past, they’re breaking the law.

In Scotland it is or will be soon illegal to park on a pavements. If people do it near my I just pop all the wing mirrors in and lift the windscreen wipers. If I was pushing a pram I’d probably test the gap left my getting a run up.

onehundredthidiot

Are parking rules different on a Sunday? I don’t mind church goers going to church but the abandoning of cars is weird. We had one park in the end of our drive and they were parked on an area that is council owned but narrow so in effect blocking it. But that had to shuffle passed a half empty car park to commune with their diety.

zippykona

I left school in 1981. There were absolutely no kids getting dropped off in cars.
    What has changed, why can’t they walk/cycle
    anymore?
    Edit,we have a friend who is a teacher and she’s glad that due to covid ,mums can no longer take their kids into school and hang their coats up for them.

multi21
    Free Member

zippykona

I left school in 1981. There were absolutely no kids getting dropped off in cars.
    What has changed, why can’t they walk/cycle
    anymore?
    Posted 58 seconds ago
    Reply | Report

Many families now have both parents working. You’ll find a lot drop the kids at school then dash straight off to work.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s too dangerous to walk to school with all the idiot drivers dropping their kids off at school.

Cougar

I started high school about then. I was dropped off by a mate’s dad for a while, but it was about 37 kids stuffed into the back of an Astra Max van.

slowoldman

Speaking of footpaths, I discovered today that people are getting quite militant about proposed advertising boards in Manchester.

After a bit of Googling.

“JCDecaux UK is expanding its national digital street furniture channel into a new major city…”

“In phase one, JCDecaux has begun installing 17 communication hubs…”

Digital street furniture channel? Communication hubs? Newspeak?

matt_outandabout

Try living in a tourist hotspot with house drive/parking overlooking the finest view.

We had multitude (like 10x a day) ‘only going to be a few minutes’ parked vehicles, from motorbikes to coaches.

The finest however was the day a Landrover/ off Road Owners Club day out saw two 110’s parked in my back garden, on the lawn. They assumed it was thier pals, so drove 6 more vehicles in and set up a little ring of camp chairs.

They then argued with me that it wasn’t thier fault that I didn’t have a gate on our entrance…no apology, only grumpiness.

supernova

I am constantly amazed by how near to the school gate people insist on parking and causing a problem when there’s plenty of space a hundred metres away.

40 years of neoliberalism have turned large parts of our society into an incredibly selfish collection of individuals who will not consider anyone else.

jamesoz

Our offices are behind a posh estate agents, convenience store and handily a cycle shop. There is a driveway to access our yard next to the estate agents.
    Quite regularly folks block the entrance, which is quite frustrating when loading and offloading. Especially if I’ve had to work a Saturday.
    Before now I’ve blocked the driver in, so they bang on the office door demanding I move the van. So I make them wait, causing lots of anger and really busy, got to pick up/drop off kids etc.

There’s a free carpark over the road.

The most angry tend to be the visitors to the estate agents with massive posh cars. A surprising number don’t lock their cars, so I let off the handbrake and roll it into the road.

nickc

I don’t mind church goers going to church but the abandoning of cars is weird.

It’s so bad near us at a Catholic church, the junction nearby is referred to in our house as “Our Lady of Perpetual Traffic Chaos”

Car use and the perceived danger has increased a hundred fold since then. I will take bets that a good 90% of parents don’t want it to be like this, and would, if given half a chance, choose a different way. But schools are under pressure to maintain budgets and cycling or safe walking provision (something our parents and teachers didn’t have to think about) are surprisingly expensive to maintain. It’s easy for a head to swerve the whole thing by ignoring it and letting parents just carry on and it becomes it’s own monster

richmtb

no apology, only grumpiness.

People in cars are never wrong. Nobody anyone does with a car can ever be rationally argued against.

CountZero

Eh, by ‘eck, I can remember walking to school, about half a mile or so, in the snow in the winter of 1963. Wearing shorts. I was the first lad at school to start wearing long trousers because it got so cold.
    For those who can’t remember/didn’t know, it started snowing on Boxing Day, and the snow didn’t start to melt until March. I was eight at the time. I think there was only one family in the street who had a car, and they ran a taxi service.
    As someone pointed out, a large part of the problem is working parents, probably working some distance from the home, needing to take the kids to school before work. Once kids get to a certain age, about nine/ten, they should be perfectly capable of getting to school on their own, either on a bike or walking, I see lots of the local kids walking, some of them walk about a mile or so, without needing to be driven.
    In rural areas it’s not so easy, because many of the small schools that served villages closed years ago, so it’s necessary for parents to drive them to the nearest school, which might easily be five, six or more miles away, along narrow, dark and dangerous lanes with no footpath or lighting. Any child in Nettleton, which is out the other side of Castle Combe, would probably go to school in Yatton Keynall, and having walked part of that route, it’s bloody scary! Steep, with barely room for one car in places, and banks that drop straight down to the tarmac, not unlike South Devon. And public transport is a joke, don’t get me started on how inadequate that is!

franksinatra

Many families now have both parents working. You’ll find a lot drop the kids at school then dash straight off to work.

This doesn’t explain though why they need to get to within 100m of the school gate. If they need to dash to work, why not drop them off 10 mins earlier and a short walk from school. Better for the kids, better for the congestion and gives them more time to get to work?

fossy

Don’t ever suggest a school mum/dad should set off slightly earlier, rather than complaining they can’t park right outside the school as it’s in a 30’s cul-de-sac where the resident’s have to park on the street. Oh noo.. resident’s are in the way. We ended up with police outside the school to stop the fights.

Olly
    Free Member

This stuff winds me up so much more than it should. It mind boggling the entitlement and thoughtlessness of so many people.

Theyve part pedestrianised the culdesac at the juniors entrance at school, with a bollard and everything, and parents just squeeze past it

“im just dropping my kids off”

OBVIOUSLY DICKHEAD, does the massive red No Entry sign not apply?

Ive seen one hurried abandonment on the zig zags that actually blocked the pedestrian gate!
    Returned to their stupid car to a queue of people waiting to get around it.

The solution is easy. Cars are to Brits what Sacred cows are to Hindus. Nothing shall impede them, They are what Guns are to Americans, a God given right.

There should be a specific exemption passed into law that render Cars the objects they are…

leffeboy

“In phase one, JCDecaux has begun installing 17 communication hubs…”

folks in Brussels are sick of them so there is an anti-publicity game going on in November, various categories such as number switched off on one night, best alternative sign etc

Libération de panneaux

I kind of like this one:

and 😀 at theoatmeal cartoon

mikejd

For those who can’t remember/didn’t know, it started snowing on Boxing Day, and the snow didn’t start to melt until March

That brings back memories. I was 13, just moved from London to Kent, A20 blocked by 10′ drifts…

TiRed

Two young children orphaned and the suggestion of a parking dispute 🙁

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/22/two-arrests-after-man-and-woman-die-at-house-in-somerset-village

shermer75
    Free Member

Where I live they’ve solved the problem by banning cars near schools during school hours. It works because everyone is within walking distance of their school

https://hackney.gov.uk/school-streets

multi21
    Free Member

franksinatra

This doesn’t explain though why they need to get to within 100m of the school gate. If they need to dash to work, why not drop them off 10 mins earlier and a short walk from school. Better for the kids, better for the congestion and gives them more time to get to work?

fossy

Don’t ever suggest a school mum/dad should set off slightly earlier

I can only speak for my own child’s school but getting there early doesn’t help with this.

You wait with your child until their class gets called in. If you park 10 mins away, obviously it adds 10 mins to the time you get into work.

I don’t know why some people insist on parking on the same street as the school though, laziness probably, or a lack of parking available elsewhere.

thepurist

Whatever happened to the consultation document on pavement parking that the DfT put out a while ago? I recall lots of comment about it but guess it’s been held up by Covid. IIRC that was proposing to make pavement parking illegal, with a fixed penalty fine for transgressors. Obviously that’s worked so well for mobile phone usage…

jambourgie
    Free Member

tu es Parisien et je réclame mes cinq euros

🙂

franksinatra

I can only speak for my own child’s school but getting there early doesn’t help at all.

You wait with your child until their class gets called in. If you park 10 mins away, obviously it adds 10 mins to the time you get into work.

Understood but this is surely only a thing for the youngest of kids, any older kids can walk to the playground themselves without parents.

jambourgie
    Free Member

left school in 1981. There were absolutely no kids getting dropped off in cars.

Yeah right! Plus, there was a resident peado on every street (don’t go near No37!). So if one’s school was say, a mile away, that means potentially getting nonced-up about ten times! And that’s just on the way in! Plus having to dodge killer dogs and those glue-sniffing skinheads that threw your mate off a roof.

pondo

Well, no sign this afternoon, despite me still being f***ing sad and there still being no car on the drive. Maybe he was going to be more than 30 seconds. 🙂

The thought occurs, I’ve reported a few of the yellow line parkers through the council website in the past – never heard anything back (which is fair enough), but I realised this afternoon that there were definitely repeat offenders I no longer see offending. Snagged a couple more this afternoon, interested to see if reporting them stops it.

IdleJon

Yeah right! Plus, there was a resident peado on every street (don’t go near No37!). So if one’s school was say, a mile away, that means potentially getting nonced-up about ten times! And that’s just on the way in! Plus having to dodge killer dogs and those glue-sniffing skinheads that threw your mate off a roof.

Every street had at least one dog lazing about the pavement, and every so often you’d get packs of dogs chasing cars down streets. Every few streets had an aggressive (meaning noisy) dog to avoid.

A school friend used to get beaten up regularly for being really tall. And obnoxious.

Another school friend got stabbed in the belly after school when he was a teenager. No reason for it, but he’d occasionally show the scar.

And, not a schooldays story just a nod to weird times, a work colleague once told me about being beaten up, early 80s, by a bunch of teddy boys because he was wearing his motorbike leathers.

Superficial
    Free Member

The thing about this I don’t get, is that I live in a well-to-do place, where quite a lot of people are concerned about keeping up appearances. Yet it seems like all the social etiquette goes out of the window when cars are concerned.

You’ve gotta mind your Ps and Qs in the Co-op lest you be overheard discourteous, But you can park dangerously around school, posing a threat to children and pissing off neighbours -and no one seems to care.

<Walter Sobjek>”Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one who cares about the rules?”</TBL>

MoreCashThanDash

Daughter gets a bus to school, but there’s no bus home. 2 days week she walks the 2.5 miles home with a friend, as the route includes a stretch of muddy unlit footpath where kids seem to get followed, harassed and occasionally attacked maybe once or twice a year.

The days she can’t walk home with a friend, one of us has to fetch her. We park 400 yards away from the carnage of parent parking to avoid any unseemly fist fights with fellow parents.

fossy

After today’s terrible news about possible parking dispute leading to two people being murdered, be careful. Some crazy folk out there.

snaps
    Free Member

Not just schools, my mate owns this Garage

All was going well until the pizza place moved in next door.

Barely a day goes by without his entrance being blocked, he’s had to put up extra signage, yellow crosshatching, phone calls to the police/council/Dominos

On Two for one pizza day the whole road is an utter no go between 5 & 7pm, pavements blocked both sides between the road junctions.

Yet drive 50 yards on & turn left – dozens of empty parking spaces.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

A few years ago I had a colleague who lived opposite a school and every morning there was a FAM (Fat angry man) who parked either on his driver or over his drive blocking him in. Complaints to the FAM lead to abuse and threats to do his windows in.

Well one morning FAM found a car parked on the dropped kerb outside his own house blocking his car in completely. He called the police who told him to report it to the council, he called the council who sent out a parking warden who put a ticket on the car.

The next day the car was still there. And the following day, and the day after. The car didn’t move for ten days and a new parking ticket was put on the car every day. FAM tried to move the car but the wheels seemed seized and the police told me if he damaged the car he would be guilty of criminal damage. The FAM sat watching the car everyday getting angrier and angrier getting ready to confront the person who had abandoned the car outside his house.

Then FAM got a letter from the DVLA. The letter was a new V5 for the car that was parked outside his house. Turns out he was the legal owner from about a fortnight earlier and he was liable for all the parking tickets.

Turns out “someone” had bought the car in his name (a complete banger worth about £10) and parked it outside his house.

Apparently FAM was very, very, very angry.

🙂

tjagain

“Modern life in the UK is stressful. We’re under pressure to get to work and get our kids to school etc and there’s no provision for doing this sensibly, ”

it really does not have to be like that – the stress and the difficulty is because of the choices you make.

tjagain

“Car use and the perceived danger has increased a hundred fold since then.”

Nonsense about car use. maybe percieved danger but real danger is less

the main reason for the car droppoff is the weird tory “choice” agenda for schools meaning for many its out of walking distance. We all used to go to the local school which was in walking distance

pondo

Then FAM got a letter from the DVLA. The letter was a new V5 for the car that was parked outside his house. Turns out he was the legal owner from about a fortnight earlier and he was liable for all the parking tickets.

That… That is one of the best stories I’ve ever heard. 😀

matt_outandabout

The FAM story is great. Please let it be true, not urban myth.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Things I found out today’ is closed to new replies.