Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • thin-walled "DH" inner tubes ??
  • scaredypants

need one or two to cut up and use for waterproofing batteries – anyone know what brand is too thin for riding DH on (and dirt cheap, of course)?

scaredypants

😥

jackal
    Free Member

It’s not very clear what you mean, as if it’s standard/thin thickness inner tube your after then it isn’t a DH tube…

Do you mean a large volume but standard thickness inner tube??

Maxxis do their freeride range which are a decent size but not mega thick, I think i’ve had some decent spesh ones too that were pretty big but standard thickness…

scaredypants

Thanks for the reply,
    Yeh, I want “DH”-sized tubes that are too thin to merit the name but do have a nice big diameter so I can stretch ’em easily over a battery (so maybe 2,8 or 3 inch nominal size)
    I’ve seen the spesh ones (2.4-3) but a bit worried they might be sensibly thick rather than dangerously thin
    (perhaps I could buy some durex extra-safe instead ? 😳 )

matt_outandabout

scaredypants

MOAB, thin plaggy bags don’t do it for me, I want it tightly packed which is why I like inner tubes (also convince myself they’re a bit vibration absorbent 🙄 ) – I’ve been looking at thick polythene tubing though

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wheelbarrow innertube.

scaredypants

Thanks TR <resists “yer mum” joke>, but they’re probably quite thick & not very flexible, at a guess ?

ever used plastidip from a rattle can ?

Karl33to
    Free Member

Hate to be another one of those people recommending alternatives to what you asked for, but have you considered self amalgamating tape, it seems to fit your needs. About 3 quid a roll on eBay.

scaredypants

No, I like alternatives – I’ve only seen amalgamating tape on my satellite dish and it’s sticky and horrible. Is that not typical ?

Militant_biker

The Specialized ones are ‘normal’ thickness, just wider. (They’ve been my tube of choice for years now.)

matt_outandabout

My suggestion was to wrap tightly in tape, then pop in bag, and you can also wrap that in tape as well if needed. If you want some ‘cusion’, then use duck tape.

Simon

I wrapped my cheapo Magicshine-a-like battery in self amalgamating tape, did the job nicely and wasn’t sticky and horrible.

lunge

After a suggestion on here unused a balloon stretched over and then zip tied at the cable. Seems to work well and is obviously cheap. Took a couple of attempted before I managed not to split the balloon mind.

coatesy
    Free Member

Try checking RS Components for heatshring sleeving, they’ve got a massive range of sizes, colours, shrink ratios, thicknesses, and a choice of adhesive backed too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘thin-walled "DH" inner tubes ??’ is closed to new replies.