Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Thick thin ring on a hardtail – chain device necessary?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

With no chain growth from suspension action further tensioning the chain, I’m finding my thick thin ring drops the chain on my hardtail, even with the shortest chain length I’m able to run.

Is this the case generally, or could it be down to the fact my ring has worn?

Do hardtailers run at least an XC chain device all the time? Is there then, no need for a thick thin ring on a HT?

faustus

Have you got a clutch mech? That should do it so I hear…

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t use a guide, and I’ve not dropped the chain in the 600 or so miles I’ve been running XX1, half expected to a couple of times, reckon at least in part it’s down to one’s tendency to pedal backwards, which is when you’re most likely to lose it.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Never dropped the chain on mine (no clutch or guide)…could be ware, or chainline.

NormalMan

faustus – Member 
    Have you got a clutch mech? That should do it so I hear…

^ beat me to it!

Edit to say: wow the posts are coming in thick and fast on this thread!

windydave13
    Free Member

Running a raceface one on my 456 with an old style 9spd xt rear mech and had no issues with chain drop whatsoever even coming down Jakobs ladder

shortcut

I have dropped mine once. Think it was down to back pedalling as I was going into a rocky corner.

Kunstler

I have a thick thin chainring with a clutch mech but sometimes forget to switch the clutch on after taking the wheel out. I’ve not dropped the chain in six months that I’ve had thus system.
    How much riding have you put into the chaining? I guess they’re going to wear Out eventually.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Took the only spacer off driveside as chain was dropping all the time. Have removed one link at a time until I can’t remove any more. Dropping has reduced along the way until now it’s just once a ride at most.

Don’t have a clutch mech (bought a new XT shortly before the clutch ones started coming out). Same setup transferred over from FS and it never dropped on that bike.

Suspect ring could be wearing now. It’s about a year old (a Race Face).

scandal42
    Free Member

Just back from a week riding in the lakes with NW and clutch mech on a 456c and didn’t drop it once.

Nor have I on a few rides in the peaks before that.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Clutch mech will help
    Also, I strongly suspect its chain wear not ring wear that is the problem. The ring doesn’t actually grip the chain, it can’t, it’d chain suck something rotten if it did. All it does is make it hard for the chain to swing far enough sideways to drop off the side in the length of a single link, which means that even when the chain bounces, it has to land back on the ring as it’s lined up. If the chain gets worn and more flexible sideways, it’ll be easier for it to move over and fall off.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Chain has got plenty of life in it (nowhere near 0.75 wear indicator yet). Suspect I’ll invest in a clutch mech at some stage soon – seems to make even more sense on a HT.

Are they proven yet? Heard one or two reliability issues with the tension wearing out quicker than the normal life of a mech.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Chain has got plenty of life in it

Oh, I’m sure there is, I simply mean that I don’t believe it’s predominantly the ring wear that causes the drop in performance. I could be wrong though.
    And yes, there’s been some issues with clutches breaking but in terms of wear, they can be tightened up on both brands.

njee20
    Free Member

Ah, no clutch mech, fair enough.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

10 months now, and dropped the chain twice, both in the same really manky ride, about 2 months ago. Ring is starting to wear, particularly noticeable on the thin teeth, but still holding up great.

I reckon forty quid for 10 months solid use so far is not bad. Raceface 32T btw.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m running a 30t Race Face NW ring on the Big Wig without a chain guide and haven’t had any problems yet. I was 1×9 to begin with, with a Saint mech, and I’m now 1×10 with a Type 2 X9 mech, and neither set up has given me any grief.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Thick thin ring on a hardtail – chain device necessary?’ is closed to new replies.