Thick Thin Chainrings – Don't believe the hype

Home Forum Bike Forum Thick Thin Chainrings – Don't believe the hype

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Thick Thin Chainrings – Don't believe the hype
  • spidersexual

Surely a top chain guide would solve your problem of dropping the chain as the top of chain ring is where it begins to come off then wrap it’s way round your bb unless your pedalling a lot backwards on badly set up gearing.

whatnobeer

patriotpro – link?

PinkBike Test

Chisel

http://absoluteblack.cc/xx1-style-shimano.html

From what i have read on many sites it seems they are optimised to use the inner profile of a 10 or 11 speed chain the 9 will work but it would appear the same issues stand as you are having. They may be the same size internally but it seems it is the profiling that does the work. By all acounts a 10 speed chain will work ok on a 9 speed set up.

russ295

Wolf tooth – standard 10spd xt mech. Never dropped chain yet.

nwill1

Not Thick Thin but clutch mech, short chain, no guide…trail riding fine, DH course useless, was running that set up until I could get hold of a Think Thin, don’t believe the hype so brought an E13 Trail guide.

Cultsdave
    The answer seams clear to me. You should buy a bronson!!!!

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

FS – 30t race face narrow wide and a Zee mech. No dropped chains.

HT – 32t e13 G-ring (i.e. just a single ring specific, not narrow wide) and a Zee mech. No dropped chains.

Brown

If you’ve got a lower roller fitted then, unless I’m missing something really obvious, a clutch mech won’t make a blind bit of difference, so don’t worry about that.

patriotpro

Raceface skinny/fat and clutch – had a dropped chain with said set-up tonight. Reached down to put chain back and realised the clutch was switched off 🙄

Just goes to show it’s not all about the skinny/fat up front but the clutch also…

pinetree

OP- how old is the rest of your drivetrain?

messiah

I’m rocking a RaceFace thick/thin with nine speed with no problems on my hardtail… but I have a dinky wee saint rear mech out the back 8) : and that baby pulls serious chain tension compared to SLX and XT.

Big bike has XX1… which has not dropped a chain on me yet despite some huge riding :mrgreen:

patriotpro

I have a dinky wee saint rear mech out the back : and that baby pulls serious chain tension compared to SLX and XT.

But nowhere near as much tension as a clutched Deore/SLX/XT if it’s clutchless.

From my one chain-drop, my view is that it’s the clutch-mech that’s the main chain-retainer and not the fat/fin ring.

Gonna try the same section again with clutch off to see how it goes…

Will probably try a none fat/fin ring up front too.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I’ve been thinking about buying the Works components one to use for a 1 x 9 setup on my HT with a (non-clutched) SLX mech, I had assumed that anyone using a Thick/Thin ring needed to make sure the chain length was minima, and that the lack of clutch would always make derailments more likely…

I suppose the other sensible questions might be, just how old and baggy is your rear mech and what’s the chain line like OP? could there be other contributing factors?

I have a dinky wee saint rear mech out the back : and that baby pulls serious chain tension compared to SLX and XT.
    But nowhere near as much tension as a clutched Deore/SLX/XT if it’s clutchless.

I didn’t think clutch mech had a “Stronger spring” applying more tension, just that the clutch prevents them form “paying out” slack chain and aiding a derailment…

All musings of course, thick/thin rings and clutched mechs seem to have made a new dark are of chain retention…

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

patriotpro – Member

From my one chain-drop, my view is that it’s the clutch-mech that’s the main chain-retainer and not the fat/fin ring.

I had the lucky opportunity to test this after I broke a chain device mid-ride… Standard E13 Guide Ring (ie not thick/thin) and XT clutch mech. Without the chain device, it dropped all over the place, even on pretty smooth trails (glentress blue!). Just unworkable.

Throw thick/thin Works ring onto the exact same setup, no other changes- chain hasn’t dropped since, and it’s been worked a lot harder too.

YMMV of course but I’m pretty sure the ring is doing the heavy lifting, the clutch mech no doubt helps too, glad to have both

mudmonster

Thought I’d try 1×10 on my work/commuter bike. So bought a Zee clutch rear mech, xt 10 speed shifter, 105 cassette, 40t salsa unramped chainring and KMC 10 spped chain. It would fall off during rapid downshifting and sometimes on rough bits of road. Now I’m using an ancient (13+ years) xt mech with a 42t FSA downhill chainring and a cheap 9 speed cassette. Bought a chain device but never got around to fitting the cage. Don’t know why but hasn’t fallen off once, not even bouncing down steps. 10 speed chains also seem to wear out very quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Thick Thin Chainrings – Don't believe the hype’ is closed to new replies.