• This topic has 145 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • They've really got it in for this guy………
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

they cant even understand cricket, let alone knowing their place and only protesting where they dont cause a kerfuffle.

LOL

CountZero

He said he did not want to return to Australia as he did not feel comfortable living on Aboriginal land and that the country was still under the control of the Queen.

I wonder what his stance would be if Aus became a republic? Would he then happily return as the land no longer ‘belongs’ to the queen? Would he then happily indulge in stupid stunts designed to annoy his fellow countrymen, like disrupt the Ashes, because he’s belatedly discovered the land wasn’t ‘owned’ by the Crown, but by businesses and vested interests in Aus, who have no intention whatsoever in handing anything of any use back the the Aboriginal people?

imnotverygood – Member
    Frankly I would deport him on the basis of the ridiculous self-satisfied smirk he had as he was fished out of the Thames.

Pity someone didn’t just stand on the silly bugger’s head and keep him under the water, all the while keeping an innocent ‘what bloke in the water?’ expression on their face.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@atlaz yes it was meant to be ironic but we seem to have misplaced the irony emoticon.

If he has such a problem with the ‘occupation’ of Australia then why didn’t he protest and demonstrate whilst he was living there, why travel to the other side of the planet? I have some sympathy with his argument in this respect, but Australia is an independent country whose residents are at liberty to redress the wrong if they feel the need. Perhaps we should go and disrupt the TdF in protest at the way the Normans sacked the North of England. (tongue in cheek emoticon!)

allthepies
    Free Member

He’s an asshat.

Woody
    Free Member

Couldn’t bring myself to watch more than a few seconds of that video.

Is he a member of The Magic Circle?

jon1973
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYy4z2uky5M[/video]

nickjb
    Free Member

He’s on newsnight tonight to give his side.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I once competed in a rowing race in Cardiff and during training some kids fired rockets (fireworks, not RPGs) across the river and we had to duck for cover… was pretty scary at the time but I look back at it now and laugh.

Anyhow, the bigger picture is that the guy is a dude for sticking it to da man, sign this petition or you are part of the problem, not the solution:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/theresa-may-home-office-stop-the-deportation-of-trenton-oldfield

(if you disagree then at least admit that you are happy to be trampled by the elite and bail out Eton chums forever more… or of course you could assassinate the character of someone who has done something courageous which you are a bit jealous of)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He is still there? What sort of woolly leftist liberal government have you guys got?
    Prison gates to Heathrow if you mean it!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

r of course you could assassinate the character of someone who has done something courageous which you are a bit jealous of

I’m not jealous of an asshat. Courageous? Erm, yeah. Right.

Good to see the chips out in force, as per.

bencooper
    Free Member

Courageous? Erm, yeah. Right.

Whether you agree with what he did or not, it does take courage to do what he did.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And for such a courageous man who fled to the UK to be offended by the state he found then protest so courageously then to hide behind his wife to avoid the consequences of his actions.
    Courageous would be to accept his punishment, if he is so offended why stay?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Courage or selfish foolishness?

Courage is going in to a burning building to save a life. Courage is a mountain rescue unit. Etc.

He can be your hero for ‘sticking it to the man, man’ all you like. You can even have a poster of him on your bedroom wall if you wish to idolize him. I choose not to, as I think he’s just a prat.

bencooper
    Free Member

He’s had the consequences of his actions – he spent time in prison. This isn’t the consequences, this is being vindictive.

Courage is doing something risky – and he did that. Actually, I think he was protesting about the wrong thing at the wrong place so he’s not my hero, but he still had guts to do what he did.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

He’s taken his punishment: prison and he still has the balls to stand for what he believes in~ the chummy rah’s have thrown the dummy out cos he spoiled their knee’s up and gained publicity for the movement to expose them gold plating their silver spoons.

atlaz
    Free Member

BTW, what exactly is he protesting about? I have seen some mumbling about “elitism” but I’d like to understand what his manifesto is (so we can put it to the test-o, to paraphrase the Sultans of Ping FC).

Or is it a generic “Down with this sort of thing?”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

To be fair I don’t think he’s entirely made up his mind what his “protest” was about. It appears to be about a whole bunch of stuff which don’t necessarily have an automatic connection, including elitism and austerity cuts. I think he throws in suggestions as he remembers things which he doesn’t agree with.

All the classic muddled thinking of a middle-class liberal trendy who understands little about real class politics.

IMHO of course.

Edukator
    Free Member

I think they’ve done him a favour.

Edit: the way he has been treated shows his protest was perfectly aimed. Having made his point he should now vote with his feet.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I liked his optimistic approach to how he’s going to avoid deportation by hoping they forget. Going on Newsnight may have been a tactical error.

grum
    Free Member

I find it genuinely amazing that anyone thinks it’s justified to send someone to jail, then deport them, over delaying a university boat race for a bit. Seriously, WTF goes through your minds?!

Yes I ranted about it in another thread, but Lord Green oversaw and profited from large scale money laundering for terrorists, drug cartels and rogue states, and instead of jail he gets appointed as government trade minister. Meanwhile we jail and deport someone for going for a swim. 😕

atlaz
    Free Member

Yes I ranted about it in another thread, but Lord Green oversaw and profited from large scale money laundering for terrorists, drug cartels and rogue states, and instead of jail he gets appointed as government trade minister. Meanwhile we jail and deport someone for going for a swim.

Apples and oranges. I don’t know much about Lord Green but old Trenton is getting deported because he committed a criminal offence (whether you agree it should be criminal or not is not under discussion) and has made it clear he’d commit more to further his cause (whatever it is). That, unfortunately, puts him at odds with his visa requirements.

Just because one thing happens, that’s not a requirement for the other to happen.

grum
    Free Member

Yeah what you’re saying is logically correct. Doesn’t make it right though.

atlaz
    Free Member

grum – To be totally honest, if he showed a single iota of concern for his girlfriend and unborn kid in this (i.e. had tempered his statement to say he was prepared to go back to prison IF he wasn’t about to be a dad), I’d be more inclined to give him the sympathy you do. That interview he did made it sound like even though he doesn’t care about his family being split up from his own actions, the rest of us should care about the government doing the same.

duckman

The French seem to quite actively engage in protests, I don’t even think they ask permission from the authorities first, which might seem to be a rather quaint concept on the British side of the channel.

Swings and roundabouts as the French riot police then get involved.

Edukator
    Free Member

You need permission for a demo in France. An “authorisation préfectorale” is needed for any event in a public place whether it’s music, a sporting event such as a bike race, anti mariage pour tous or the CGT moaning. However, keep the numbers down and you’re just covered by the laws of what you can and can’t do in public.

That’s the theory but when the gouvernement really upsets people then cobbles start flying regardless.

A swimmer interupting race would get arrested, locked up for the duration of whatever he was protesting about, then assuming there was no “outrage à agent”, kicked out with a warning or a modest fine to pay.

sbob
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

I think they’ve done him a favour.

I think deporting him will do his unborn child a favour.

Viewing 26 posts - 121 through 146 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘They've really got it in for this guy………’ is closed to new replies.