Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • They went up a mountain, came down a hill.
  • doh
    Free Member

In the news today about a mountain in Skye having been found to be 6.5 inches under 3000ft and is now getting reclassified. Will less people climb it as a result, and will they have to take it off their Munro lists.

Couldn’t someone go up it with a few bags of cement and make it a mountain again?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Munro Baggers = Trainspotters of the outdoors

rene59
    Free Member

It was a Munro top, not full Munro. Presumably it will now be a Corbett top instead, but all these different classifications never seem straightforward.

Are trainspotters not the trainspotters of the outdoors? Or do they only operate indoors, in that case would they be trainstationspotters?

unknown
    Free Member

It was only a Munro top anyway, so not on the main list. FWIW I pretty much only climb Munros, I’m not bagging them as such but it would be nice to look back one day having done them all. Doing so has taken me to some great places I may not otherwise have gone to. Can only be a good thing in my book. In these days of instant strava gratification there’s plenty to be said for a long term goal.

matt_outandabout

Couldn’t someone go up it with a few bags of cement and make it a mountain again?

You need to read up about Ben Lawers.

scotroutes

Nope – it’s now just unclassified peak.

Nowt wrong with compleating the Munros…

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/p/compleating-my-munros.html

rene59
    Free Member

Well just had a look at all the classifications and their requirements and it’s as clear as mud to me, so will leave all that funny business to the boffins.

I’ve done 102 out of 282 so got some way to go yet.

athgray
    Free Member

I think the descent/reascent requirement for corbetts is higher than that for a munro, so Corbetts tend to be more stand alone hills. Don’t know if this is correct but I don’t think a munro top can be downgraded to a Corbett. Nothing wrong with bagging Munros. Can get you into parts of the countryside that are quite remote and distant from crowds. I love that!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with compleating the Munros…

yes but to not climb something because it’s now not on a list is a bit sad

rene59
    Free Member

I think the descent/reascent requirement for corbetts is higher than that for a munro

A Corbett requires 152.4m/500ft drop on all sides, whereas a Corbett top only requires a drop on all sides of 30m/98ft. A Corbett top can be a subsidiary top to either a Munro or a Corbett. I don’t think Munros and Munro tops have a defined drop on all sides requirement, instead it is decided by committee (which probably accounts for all the arguments and remeasuring that goes on).

Northwind

Yep, no real standard for what makes a munro top- it’s a sort of fudgy combination of prominence and how hard it is to get from one summit to the other. Which kind of makes sense but you can see why trainspotters don’t like it.

I don’t know if it’s true but someone once told me that if you applied a comparable rule to the furths, half of what England and Wales consider their tallest mountains would end up just being tops. But that seems a bit harsh really.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Met an old couple one day out on the bike who were Marilyn baggers. Mad a box of frogs they were. Nice to have a hobby with goals as someone already said.

kcal

1122. that is all.
    My dad managed to get around a bit more –
    http://www.smc.org.uk/Munros/MunroistsCompleatists.php?T=1&L=S&ShowPage=4

scotroutes

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Comte on now folks, mikewsmith is trying his bestest trolling lines, and no one is biting. Someone throw him a bone.

GrahamS

Irrelevant side question: why does one “compleat” Munros?

Is the archaic spelling just a tradition?

gt900uk
    Free Member

scotroutes just having a look on your blog only to see my cousin in one of the pictures very random.

duckman

Yup,in 16 Munros time I will be a fully fledged trainspotter;and pround of it. Does doing all the tops as well make me an uber spotter?

uphillcursing – Member
    Met an old couple one day out on the bike who were Marilyn baggers. Mad a box of frogs they were. Nice to have a hobby with goals as someone already said.

Posted 9 hours ago # Report-Post

Both short and grey with Ron hills on? If so it was the Simpsons from Forfar,and yes;mad as badgers. Started their Munros when he retired 😯

scotroutes

?? Do tell!!

gt900uk
    Free Member

I am David’s cousin. My mum is his dads sister. Awesome effort on the Munros BTW been doing the odd one with my wife, don’t think I have the stomach to do the likes of the stuff on Skye though!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘They went up a mountain, came down a hill.’ is closed to new replies.