Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • They didn't muck about with kids swings in the olden days
  • wwaswas

😯

This is believed to be the world’s first playground swing at Wicksteed Park in Kettering, UK

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, is the ladder at each end so the nippers can walk across the top?

wwaswas

It’s the two little girls wandering around at the bottom I’m worried about – do they know the risks they’re taking?

I assume the two blokes are the guys who put it up giving it a test?

sharkbait
    Free Member

jeepers 😯

wwaswas

the ladders seem to be part of it – set up like monkey bars at each end.

It’s Health and Safety taken the day off and gone on a bender, I tell you.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s the two little girls wandering around at the bottom I’m worried about

Sorry to tell you this, but, they died.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

awesome,… no wonder kids are soft as s@*te knowdays

richc
    Free Member

looks like the ladders are for you to use before or after the rope.

That does look a bit high!

Vern0n
    Free Member

Hopefully a concrete floor under there …

matt_outandabout

I want a go….

molgrips
    Free Member

awesome,… no wonder kids are soft as s@*te have a greater life expectancy knowdays

I do think that little girl is about to get taken out in dramatic style. We’ve all been taught not to run under swings, but they probably weren’t.

gavmtb
    Free Member

I live just around the corner from Wicksteed Park. Still has lots of the old metal swings in but they look a little safer than that one!

Harry_the_Spider

The kid on the monkey bars looks like he’s just done a couple of minutes in a George Formby grill.

Kids were so much harder back in the day. I bet if I shoved my lad in a waffle iron he’d only last 10 seconds.

scuttler

The swinger on the right is doubled over cos his pipe just slipped out of his mouth.

AlexSimon

Don’t show Hora!

Swings seem to be proper rubbish these days. Getting shorter and shorter.
    🙁

Harry_the_Spider

The guy on the left swing has got his “old chap” out.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

this thread has brightened my day 😆

fasthaggis

Kids were so much harder back in the day. I bet if I shoved my lad in a waffle iron he’d only last 10 seconds.

😀

That kid on the right swing is going to go for miles when he lets go.

stumpy01

Sorry for the daily mail link, but there’s some great pics here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2131790/When-playtime-wasnt-ruled-elf-safety.html

The pic of the girl hanging off the end of the group in pic 3 is great.

We had a Witches Hat in the park near us and it was bloody lethal. It was much bigger than the one in the pics linked to above and I was often too scared to go on it.
    All the ‘big kids’ used to make it go really fast and it seemed really high. Kids use to regularly be flung from it.

rogg
    Free Member

I do think that little girl is about to get taken out in dramatic style.

No, she was pushing a kid on another swing, she was well clear of the other two. It was when she tried to get from the top of the ladder to the rope that she fell and broke her neck.

takisawa2

Imagine what their Black Runs were like…!!!

maccruiskeen

Sorry to tell you this, but, they died.

I’d imagine pretty much everyone in the picture has died at some point in the last 90 years 🙂

The little girl in the background bought it when she fell out of the witches hat in the playpark behind the Kettering Sunset Retirement Home in 1996

maccruiskeen

good old daily mail – any excuse for an up-skirt photo

molgrips
    Free Member

I read that DM link.. only they could make some fun pictures into an idiotic rant against nothing at all 🙁 I had to try not to read the text.

soobalias
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member

when you have a proper playground, you dont need that nonsense

tonyd

[quote]I’m sorry but we don’t allow direct links to the Daily Mail on our website as we find it an abhorrent publication.[/quote]Made me smile, bravo STW!

soobalias
    Free Member

its been so long since ive tried a DM link, that i didnt know STW blocked them

good work

DezB
    Free Member

We had a Witches Hat in the park near us

My big brother broke his leg on a Witches Hat. Trapped underneath it when it went down low. I can still hear the snap.

DezB
    Free Member

I tell ya, nowadays you can’t even take photos of kids in the park without some nosey do-gooder coming over and telling you to move along an then threatening to call the police if you don’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

when you have a proper playground, you dont need that nonsense

No, cos everyone’s too crippled from dangerous playground equippment.

tang
    Free Member

Wicksteed park! Used to go there as a kid. I’d love a go on those. We compensated for rubbish swings with dangerous rope swings on steep sided woodland.

aracer
    Free Member

The ladders are surely so you can get down when you attempt to loop the swings and don’t make it.

scuttler

These spinning see-saw things are pretty good in the 21st century damage stakes – plenty of opportunity to get flipped if you’re boarding, flung if you’re riding or battered if you’re pushing – Probably due for a government banning. Still not quite up to standards of the OP though.

Bunnyhop

The kid on the monkey bars looks like he’s just done a couple of minutes in a George Formby grill.

Kids were so much harder back in the day. I bet if I shoved my lad in a waffle iron he’d only last 10 seconds.genuine lol here. the lad does look like george formby too.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Jeebus…don’t let hora see this thread, he’ll explode!

mt
    Free Member

Im old enough to remember swings like that. Also really tall slides that you could polish up so that the terminal velocity on departing the end of the slide could be shattering, of major limbs.

IA

Also really tall slides that you could polish up

“Fond” memories of my very first burst lip as a child…..

wwaswas

I’m sure that wearing polyester trousers helped with slide speed.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Im old enough to remember swings like that. Also really tall slides that you could polish up so that the terminal velocity on departing the end of the slide could be shattering, of major limbs.

…rrrrr the smell of burnt flesh on a boiling hot day on a metal slide…

molgrips
    Free Member

My two year old went down a slide in the snow, where the end of the slide was the same height as the snow. I could see a very long packed polished section of snow at the bottom.. but I didn’t say anything… hehehe 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘They didn't muck about with kids swings in the olden days’ is closed to new replies.