• This topic has 33 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by tang.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • they are on to us
  • roundwheels
    Free Member

just recently received a letter saying that i have been down loading illegal music from p2p sites.sky and some other mob claiming to be part of the British music industry have sent a letter to me and the evidence was pretty accurate .now who’s in the wrong here have i been spy-ed on? are they in breach of my privacy ? or should i just put my tail between my legs and move along

MrNutt
    Free Member

who is your ISP?

druidh
    Free Member

roundwheels – Member

just recently received a letter saying that i have been down loading illegal music from p2p sites.sky and some other mob claiming to be part of the British music industry have sent a letter to me and the evidence was pretty accurate .now who’s in the wrong here have i been spy-ed on? are they in breach of my privacy ? or should i just put my tail between my legs and move along

Who’s in the wrong? well you know youare.
    Have you been spied on? you can call it that if you want
    Are they in breach of your privacy? nope

roundwheels
    Free Member

not sure how do i find that out ,but my broadband is with sky

roundwheels
    Free Member

i do expect some digs in the ribs for this druidh

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

have a google for a free app called ‘peer gauardian’

IanMunro
    Free Member

.now who’s in the wrong here
    Well you know the answer to this one. It’s a bit like a bank robber complaining they’ve been nicked because the police have invaded their privacy by tailing them 🙂
    But I take your point. I might be worth further investigation as to what counts as privacy and ownership of data. I suspect that most of these go out the window if you’re commiting criminal activities. Now how you detect criminal activities could be a breach of your privacy, but I suspect they’ve got this covered.
    BTW how much music had you downloaded?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d stop now if I were in your shoes and you’ve just had a warning.

You don’t want to be one of those poor saps who gets made an example of.

andywhit
    Free Member

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4948602.ece

Welcome to NuLab Britain.

druidh
    Free Member

I knew they were doing this, but only hitting the “mega” uploaders?

retro83
    Free Member

have a google for a free app called ‘peer gauardian’

Only blocks suspected IP ranges, the investigators could run their logging tools from any IP they wanted to. All they have to do is connect to the tracker and they can get a list of all the IP addresses in the swarm.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Committing a crime over the internet is a really dodgy thing to do. You leave a very nice audit trail that comes straight to your door.

You’d be better off shop lifting for the CDs you want. The penalties for being caught are far less severe.

roundwheels
    Free Member

I knew they were doing this, but only hitting the “mega” uploaders?

if i told you i have only down load one album in the last four weeks and mabe 10 albums in total and i was new to the torrent industry 😳

tang
    Free Member

try the listen only for free sites, these are legal and have an amazing catalog to choose from. i cant recommend spotify.com enough.
    tinyurl.com/spotifylink

druidh
    Free Member

Eek! Unlucky! How much had been UPloaded off your machine though?

scaredypants

yeh, wot druidh says

I don’t think downloading is illegal (yet) is it?

it’s the uploading/sharing that gets you into trouble

MrNutt
    Free Member

I only download what I’ve got on CD but scratched to buggery in the car or I can’t find, or I’ve ordered on Amazon and I’m waiting to arrive on vinyl 🙂

roundwheels
    Free Member

i deleted all torrents from my PC unless they can up load from you library (if that’s possible)but the letter stated that i down loaded a certain track, date and time

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll admit to downloading stuff. Usually to listen to, see if I like it, and then order through Amazon or Play. Like Mr Nutt, I’ve also downloaded some things I already own on vinyl.

roundwheels
    Free Member

druidh

and you took the morral high ground with me as well shame on you 😉

kona_uk
    Free Member

Its theft, come on everyone knows its illegal, so why do it ???

At least you have had only a warning and not a law suit…..

imnotamused
    Free Member

My god! How good is that Spotify? I’m guessing you can only listen to it while online though, but otherwise there’s so much music on there I don’t know what to search for 😯

All we need now is a film equivalent…

How is it legal?

druidh
    Free Member

Not the “moral high ground” – just telling it like it is (as I suspect you knew before you posted). It’s been a handy wake-up call though – I was under the impression that DOWNloading wasn’t actually illegal. Doing some googling this morning and I’m reviewing that opinion. Looks like it’s the 3 Strikes rule – 1) warning, 2) suspension of service, 3) termination of contract. I’m still not sure there’s actually any legal penalty involved…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I think scardeypants has it; downloading is not illlegal, I understand (in a similar way that listening to an illegally broadcast radio station isn’t), but uploading is.

An interesting article.

Seems that an increasing number of people are getting letters about ‘illegally downloading copyrighted material’. I suspect that the IPs are simply registering that people are using torrent sites, and passing that information on. The ‘music industry’ is probably paying the IPs a nice little sum, so that they can get hold of people to sue them.

Theft? Theft? Charging money for most of the shite that’s out there atm, that’s theft…

kona_uk
    Free Member

It is theft, over priced, charging money for crap…..then dont buy it !!! 🙂

nickname
    Free Member

I also recommend spotify – http://www.spotify.com. It’s free but you get the odd commercial ad. Can’t say I really notice them though.

dobo
    Free Member

so is downloading a radio one essential mix via torrent illegal? obviously you upload & download

Sandwich

Usenet people, usenet. Downloading is not a crime yet, uploading is. If there is more than one computer attached to the modem it is nigh on impossible to prove which person was doing the uploading. If you have very deep pockets you could probably prove breach of privacy in Europe as the European Court is not particularly happy at unauthorised data sharing by the ISPs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If I was to do this then I would only do it for things that are so expensive that I would NEVER buy a legit copy ….. that way they have not realy lost a sale just gained a customer 😆
    Change ISP i think it is only ones involved in owning copyright SKy (FOX), Virgin etc that are sending the letters.

firestarter
    Free Member

spotify is the dogs pods cheers 😉

Zedsdead
    Free Member

could someone send me an invite for spotify please?

nickname
    Free Member

Some invites for spotify 🙂

mgRid7RmZ8Jj9FDn
    x2LK46Z4DeeShVd9
    NapGDAs8uRHEcALE
    F4ZJLS4c2PAH9jPg
    kUPgx2uAEB5UKTLU

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Many thanks nickname.

I used the first one on your list and it worked.

As soon as I have some invites I’ll post them up.

Cheers

tang
    Free Member

follow this link for sign up with no invitehere

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘they are on to us’ is closed to new replies.