Thetford Winter Series 1 – anyone doing it?

Home Forum Bike Forum Thetford Winter Series 1 – anyone doing it?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Thetford Winter Series 1 – anyone doing it?
  • stumpy01

I’m looking forward to it, but the entry limit has gone up from 500 (i think) to 700! On a 6-6.5 mile lap. I predict bottlenecks & 1st lap carnage. Over 100 riders/mile.

I might even have to alter my normal ‘sit back & let it settle’ tactics for a more vigorous first couple of miles.

I’ll be the one at the back on a carbon FSR (with burgundy highlights, dahlinks), completely inappropriate tyres & red cheeks.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

I’ll be there, fighting my way through the first bottleneck. Brandon is an ace course, looking forward to it

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

I’ll be there on the Spearfish. Or I might ride a size too small SS Chameleon if the weather looks to be really awful.

I’ll be there with about 5 others from the Hitchin / Stevenage area. Some very good & serious & others less so – all with different expectations. Did 2 last year which was the first racing I’ve ever done. My target was to beat those of my age(edness)and ideally get into the top 150 in the over 40 2 hour race.

See you there!

kerv

I’ll be there too. Just sharpening my elbows for that first bottleneck. ๐Ÿ™‚

bigbloke

I’ll be there, my first ever event at 41 yrs old. Not sure what to expect really although concerned about the numbers in the 2 hr race the start will be ridiculous around 400 last i looked.

jd-boy

The course is 7.04 miles and you do a mile before any singletrack with some fetures in it to spread the field, We put the course up today and its got lots of bits in that folks will never have riden. fingers crossed the rain holds of on Sunday till late afternoon like its forcast to. ๐Ÿ˜€

bigbloke

Whats the trails like soft n muddy or just damp? ๐Ÿ˜‰

rbrstr

cant make round 1 but glad theyve upped the entry capacity, ive done many a round where 3 1/2 hours in ive felt like im the only person riding,bit lonely almost!

hh45

ive done many a round where 3 1/2 hours in ive felt like im the only person riding,bit lonely almost!

I quite agree although I guess its different for the 2 hour people.

I shall be on my new Turner, (possibly also with inappropriate tyres).

stumpy01

Can’t bloody wait now. Need to give the bike a sploosh tomorrow & all set. Looking forward to new trails.

Might use me little camera to record some action…

earlanderson

Hi, I’m there. Rode over there Wednesday and its quite dry. Hardly any rain since so hoping for a dry one this time.
    A lot of riders I agree, hopefully it will stay friendly….

stumpy01

Gah! Stupid weather. Just been watching BBC news and the forecast that has been dry all week now shows a mass of rain over the whole of East Angular from early Sunday until gone midday…

bigbloke

What tyres for bbc weather forecasts… ๐Ÿ˜†

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

earlanderson – Member
    Hi, I’m there. Rode over there Wednesday and its quite dry. Hardly any rain since so hoping for a dry one this time.
    A lot of riders I agree, hopefully it will stay friendly….

Hmm, didn’t stay dry for long! Last hour of the 4 hour race was bit of an epic, not quite as bad as this years mayhem mind….

When 2/4 hour was on at the same time it was a bit frantic but once all the softy walters had cleared off the last couple of hours were calm again!

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

One of my better decisions not to enter this year, if the rain here was anything to go by.

Well done – Johnystorm!
    I was one of the ‘softy waters’ on the 2 hour race…..After 2 laps in the piddling rain the course was pretty much a mud fest and my last lap (3rd) was just for survival.

So well done for going on and doing another 2/3 laps. I exceeded my target of bettering 150th & beating those older than me (I think..)and came 102nd – which is better than lasy year – and not bad for a 58yr old who only really rides on Sundays….

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

Not sure of my finishing place. Nowt on the web page yet.

Anyone that finished today in any category wasn’t really a Softy Walter, it was hard but glad I went rather than sat in front of the telly.

kerv

How do you know your result john, I’ve looked on the website and can’t see them?

Hi Guys – No problem Johny – I don’t even know what a ‘Softy Walter’ is anyway.

The results are on the Time Loops website page:
    http://www.timelaps.co.uk/results.aspx

Our top guy got 12th in the 40+; & another 52nd in the under 40.

A good start to the Series – it can only get better from now on!

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

I’ve been bumped to 18! I’m sure it said 17 on the laptop!

C’mon, everyone knows who Softy Walter is, don’t they!?

bigbloke

Well that was my first ever event, enjoyable, hard and frustrating. I got knocked off my bike in the first 100 metres in a 4 bike pile up at the start of the over 40’s which was rather annoying but picked myself up and completed 3 hard mud slogging laps to finally finish 105 in 40+ category. Overall glad i did it and looking forward to a drier second round.

kerv

I was in that pile up too bigbloke, in fact I think I may have caused it! ๐Ÿ˜ณ I caught someone’s bars as I tried to avoid something at the side of the track and down we went. If it’s any consolation I was dead last by the time I had straightened my bars got the chain back on etc’. Sorry ’bout dat.

bigbloke

Kerv ….That was you ๐Ÿ˜† , you hit my bars on my right side as you squeezed through (i was on a white Whyte 19 ). Didn’t take much contact for us to go down on the slippery start, i did ask if you were alright at the time, my bike was surprisingly fine apart from a bit of weird gear changing. No hard feelings , just racing stuff. Nice meeting you briefly ๐Ÿ˜€

Hi Bigbloke

105th? Are you one of the Silly Grinners?? I’m from Hitchin Riders & have riden with you guys a few times.

Looking at your lap times we must have been running pretty close together for much of the race. I was bolwn out in the last lap however & was just trying to keep upright in the mud. Pirton – & riding in Herts is good training…

I dnt know how the 4 hours (6 lappers) do it…

kerv

Was good of you to ask after I’d taken you out like that! My gears jumped for the rest of the race and the crash busted one of the straps on my camelback so that was hanging off for the rest of the race too. Still it was a great course and race as usual, despite the conditions. Managed to get up to 29th by the end. I’ll keep an eye out for you at the next one! ๐Ÿ™‚

bigbloke

I am indeed one of the Grinners, i don’t think i’ve been out with yourself but am sure we have had a chat outside the Motte n Bailey in Pirton as your group (if its your group ๐Ÿ˜ณ ) have passed by on a sat/sun morning whilst i was getting ready for a ride.

Yes the third lap was brutal on my legs , particularly the latter half, last couple of miles i had nothing left in them even on the fire roads trying to up the pace seemed futile. Who said Thetford was flat??!!

There was another sillygrinner in the 18-39 group, think another lad is joining us for the second race.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Thetford Winter Series 1 – anyone doing it?’ is closed to new replies.