Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 454 total)
  • These rail strikes then…
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Train drivers are part of a different union

ernielynch

There appears to be a debate concerning which is the most ironic quote from Lynch so far in this dispute.

It has been suggested that it’s “I don’t even know who you are”, although for me it’s “He’s the most evil puppet made out of vinyl in the world” remark made to Piers Morgan.

Apparently searches for “join union” on Google have increased by 184 per cent since the rail workers dispute started, according to an analysis by Workello.

rone

He’s on QT tonight. If it hasn’t already been flagged.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhoward

He’s just had the audience laughing at the Tory rep…

RustySpanner

Rachel MacLean has the expression of someone who’s finger has just gone through the toilet paper.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Who is the woman in the green jacket who is just pulling funny faces?

tomhoward

The Tory rep. Dept for transport apparently.

stanfree
    Free Member

As a Scotrail driver and member of ASLEF , and bear in mind we have just been balloted for our deal . It was always the case that the RMT ,TSSA and Unison always piggy backed our deals as we were always the strongest railway union as we are alll drivers. That said Mick Lynch is amazing and good on him for him the way he is fighting for the other railway grades. Dont believe the Tory BS about average Rail wages being 43k as It’s total nonsense. It’s closer to 31k which is still a good wage but why are they not entitled to try and get a wage closer to inflation.
    For anyone thinking train drivers are over payed just bear in mind the training , shit hours (3.05 start times If on backshift finish at 2.30) , 1 week end off in 3 , shite turn around in hours ( Can finish at 5 am sunday and start at 6 am monday and that is classed as a day off) not to mention the responsibilty with 700 people on most rush hour trains in big citys , If we **** up wee go to jail not the dole queue.
    The other thing that has struck me as a scary thing is the fact that on social media whilst 80 percent of people are behind us , 20 percents are of the ’55k , I only make 20 grand doing ‘X’ duty’

^ The point is if the rail workers get 5 percent , everyone has to get 5 percent. As no job is more important than any other and it Is still 4 percent less than inflation.

Rail workers , Bus drivers ,Cleaners , Teachers , firemen , the working man fight the power…..

rone

The audience clapping lower standards and wages for themselves.

RustySpanner

She’s the Tory who suggested recently that if people were struggling to feed their families and heat their homes they should get a better job or work more hours.

thegreatape
    Free Member

She’s a **** idiot, that much is clear.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

For anyone thinking train drivers are over payed just bear in mind the training , shit hours (3.05 start times If on backshift finish at 2.30) , 1 week end off in 3 , shite turn around in hours ( Can finish at 5 am sunday and start at 6 am monday and that is classed as a day off)

Ever thought about freight driving? My stepson drives for Freightliner & although he does shifts he does nowt like that.
    There again, he’s only on about 55K, which is 22K more than a basic grade prison officer. (My old job, don’t even get me started on what that bastard Grayling did to HMPS)

rone

Green Tory lady did at least sneakily admit how else does the government get out of the pandemic without government spending. She let that slip.

An admission the market can’t function without the state, especially in black swan events.

Business Brexit Party chap is about 50% correct in sentiment, but doesn’t understand anything about tax and spend/government borrowing. Wonder if his staff embraced furlough?

Thinks the only route to success is tax cuts. Just like thicko Tice.

ernielynch

Lynch missed a goal when he failed to point out the problems created by privatisation, the franchise system, and the multitude of different companies it created within the railways.

It took the ticket office RMT member to make the point. I got the feeling that Lynch didn’t want to be too hostile towards a member of the public/audience.

I do like how he doesn’t let go when he pierces an opponent’s defense though eg when he kept repeating “it doesn’t say what you said it says”.

rone

And that woman with big hair is why there’s always a hardcore of Tories willing to never give in.

rone

got the feeling that Lynch didn’t want to be too hostile towards a member of the public/audience.

Yeah. He can’t kick back the same as he does with a media pundit.

tomhoward

he’s only on about 55K,

Only 60% more than the National average full time salary? Why’s he not striking?

thegreatape
    Free Member

when he kept repeating “it doesn’t say what you said it says”.

And he was absolutely right – she read out verbatim the part of that letter that completely contradicted her claims 😀

dazh

Never mind Newcastle I think the people of Stratford-on-Avon (apart from the railway worker obvs) need to be put up against a wall and shot.

ernielynch

I thought the food bank lady was exceptionally good.

dazh

Yes she can have a pass too. 😀

binners

Grinning gammon guy was quite scary.

Clearly getting his ‘news’ from GeeBeebies.

I’m sure grinning gammon guy would love that

ernielynch

she can have a pass too

Yeah you need to be a little less casual with your executions. Not so much of the scattergun approach.

dazh

I shouldn’t watch QT, it stirs the psychopathic side of my personality.

Anyway, away from murderous fantasies, I don’t think Mick Lynch did himself any favours tonight, largely because Fiona Bruce (who also should be shot) wouldn’t let him finish his points.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Only 60% more than the National average full time salary? Why’s he not striking?

I dunno, but considering his missus is on double what he is, he maybe doesn’t feel the need.
    He’s coming over in the Aston on Monday, I’ll ask.

ernielynch

I don’t think Mick Lynch did himself any favours tonight,

Telling a Tory politician or an ignorant TV interviewer that they are talking twaddle is one thing, but if he had appeared on QT all combative and started accusing members of the audience of talking twaddle whilst it might have entertained you it is unlikely that it would have amused his executive as they carried a postmortem into the RMT Question Time PR disaster.

dazh

but if he had appeared on QT all combative

No what I meant was he shouldn’t have gone on in the first place. He did as well as he could in the circumstances, but could have avoided it.

Fiona Bruce is a f****** disgrace BTW. Since she took over it’s more like The Jeremy Kyle show than a serious current affairs programme.

muckytee
    Free Member

It was frustrating to watch as some of the points raised by the audience weren’t shut down by Mick, but rightly so in the setting of the show, telling idiot ignorant members of the public they are idiots won’t go down well and would only be used by the Tory press to fuel the culture war, Mick had to be there otherwise it would have looked like cowardice, but being there everything he said would be used against him, the agenda is the create an us and them divide between rail workers/unions and the public/Torys.

I loved the comments from the guy on about how it’s archaic that Kings Cross staff can’t work at Euston and drew comparisons with his own job, the stupidity was spectacular, I have a job so all other jobs must work the same as mine does. The west coast and east coast main lines were built by different companies will have different equipment, features and risks, let alone have different train operating companies running out of them, just because something is close doesn’t make it the same.

When you talk to joe public they have zero understanding or experience of infrastructure and national scale industry, they think repairing a set of points at Euston is like calling out a plumber, the Torys use this dumbing down oversimplification to make out staff are being awkward and hiding behind Elf and Safety, just use some good Ole Common Sense.

ernielynch

No what I meant was he shouldn’t have gone on in the first place.

Of course he should have appeared on QT. There’s a national dispute going on which is headline news and causing a lot of public inconvenience.

The issue would have been discussed whether he was there or not. Refusal to appear would have been cast as, cowardice, contempt, and not interested in the general public’s opinion.

I thought he put the RMT’s case well, although as I previously said he should made the point the RMT member made about the failures connected to the fragmentation of the national railways due to privatisation.

Had he not been on the panel I am sure that there would have very little support for the RMT from whoever took his place when the issue came up and it was extensively discussed.

muckytee
    Free Member

Hey ernie ‘lynch’, not going to have an Old Ben and Obi Wan moment here are we..

Turns out Mick Lynch is an avid mtber and a long time forumite

Northwind

I think clearly Mick Lynch should have gone on QT but Fiona Bruce shouldn’t have.

igm

When you talk to joe public they have zero understanding or experience of infrastructure and national scale industry,

Working for an electricity distribution grid, I find that an interesting comment. Probably true, but equally they probably don’t understand how the cloud works. Maybe that is infrastructure these days of course.

Avid mtber

And there’s a juicy sticky piston joke in there somewhere.

rone

Why is it Tory voters’ loyalty to the UK is always disgusted by nationalisation? I mean it’s got national in the damn title.

Also, hated the small business bloke with 30 employees – there’s always one of them telling everyone else how they should all change to his way of doing business. Shaking his head etc.

Tories are programmed to not know detail but just keep repeating expired lies. And making analogies to dinosaurs, rather than knowing anything other than the ins and outs of inheritance tax.

ctk
    Free Member

Dimbleby was just as bad as Bruce.

v8ninety

Also, hated the small business bloke with 30 employees – there’s always one of them telling everyone else how they should all change to his way of doing business. Shaking his head etc.

I once worked for a carbon copy of this bloke at his haulage company. His foul attitude towards his drivers, his casual tax dodging, his rabid hatred of the ‘jumped up shop steward’ John Prescott, all combined to motivate me to get a job where making money wasn’t valued over people. I’m now twenty odd years into an NHS career, and am still massively triggered by that kind of self righteous, ignorant, arrogant attitude. Twunt. He’s dead now. Shame.

ernielynch

The blood of rebels flows through the veins of a Lynch muckytee

https://www.facebook.com/VivaCheGuevara/photos/a.303489703020139/1233201576715609/?type=3

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I get the feeling that a lot of people are disappointed that Lynch didn’t really seem to get in his stride last night. I kinda was myself but on reflection, I don’t think he had much opportunity. Bruce can cut his answers short and he was never going to get the chance to deliver the material he has these past weeks in interviews with news “presenters” and debate shows with politicians. QT just doesn’t work that way. (Of course it could be argued that QT doesn’t work at all.) Someone else mentioned it, but I agree that he was probably holding back a bit. Some of the audience comments were stupid, but he was never going to win anyone over by putting down a member of the public.

I’d love to hear more voices like him in the media. We just don’t hear enough of someone articulately arguing for more equality for workers and a fairer share of the pot.

Check shirt guy can **** right off. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s outed as some kind of plant later today. 😀

ernielynch

The Daily Mail has had a relentless and vicious campaign against the RMT, their report of last night’s QT suggests that in their eyes he preformed better than some on here think – the most they could come up with was that he “split the audience”.

Actually I thought their whole article was remarkably fair and in sharp contrast with some of the vile anti-RMT stuff they have been publishing. I can’t help thinking that one of their reporters might be getting a bollocking later today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10947589/Mick-Lynch-splits-Question-Time-audience-booed-Spanish-practice-maintenance-teams.html

rone

Actually I thought their whole article was remarkably fair and in sharp contrast with some of the vile anti-RMT stuff they have been publishing.

I reckon that’s because the mail knows that he’s got some public support so they’re not taking full-on sides at this point.

Mail might well be on the right, but it wants to sell papers as well as shape the stories.

Just like the Brexit MEP guy was making sure the narrative was about paying these workers – but tax cuts tax cuts, debt as a percentage of GDP and more economic bollocks…

I’m guessing the mail are frantically looking for something in Lynch’s closet.

David Lynch, Ernie Lynch and now Mick Lynch. All getting my attention recently.

Northwind

ernielynch
    Free Member

Actually I thought their whole article was remarkably fair and in sharp contrast with some of the vile anti-RMT stuff they have been publishing. I can’t help thinking that one of their reporters might be getting a bollocking later today.

Possibly they’ve noticed how the usual media hatchets just bounce off him? Suppose it depends how much they’re writing to the wider part of their audience rather than to the people that only need to hear the words “trade union” and hate him, and so don’t need any more attack pieces.

Or, to put it another way, some articles are to feed off opinion and some are to drive it.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 454 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.