Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • These prepaid currency cards
  • geoffj

Do you have to pay fees to use them in restaurants etc. or to withdraw cash from the ATM?
    There is a certain attraction, but it seems too good to be true. What’s the catch?

gary

Depends on the conditions for any given card, currency that it is based on vs local currency, etc.

Bear
    Free Member

Have used the Thomas Cook one in Spain and my son just took one to Barbados. He’s 15 and completely disorganised and he managed to make it work with no dramas (other than spending too much!)

nuke

Just used one for the first time in France: would definitely use again and recommend them…got the Post Office one. Got a good exchange rate for the Euros, used the app to check balance, worked everywhere from restaurants to supermarkets that took Mastercard and only charges were when we took out cash out at an ATM (2eur per transaction regardless of amount) but we knew this so took out larger amounts rather than making several smaller tranactions

scuttler

Presumably you can’t overspend and the retailer can see the balance. If so, is it possible to pay up to the balance on the prepay card and make alternative arrangement for the remainder or does it not work like that?

robbonzo
    Free Member

I believe there is a fee if you dont use all the money on the card and want to get it off in the uk afterwards.

BillMC

I’ve used Fairfx in Australia, HK,US and Central America and Africa. It works well and is not expensive, I think it was recommended by Martin Moneysaver. I don’t remember a fee for switching money back.

Cougar

I had a Thomas Cook one. Only ‘gotcha’ was if you keep it after your holiday and don’t use it, after (6? 12?) months they start billing you monthly for it. Nicely buried in the small print that no-one reads, that was. Card was fine, just give it back to them when you get home.

geoffj

Thanks folks – looks like a good option.

edhornby

As others have said, read the t’s&c’s carefully and make sure it’s empty by the time you finish your holiday…. Personally I would just take cash and travellers and be organised and street smart

grantway
    Free Member

Unsure but have been considering the Easy Jet card
    EasyJet card has it gives you
    the VISA Benefits.

other than that when you use your link card to take out money
    make sure when your asked if you want to be billed in Euros or GBP
    click Euros as you will be charged less. Where as last year you was advised to press GBP.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have also used the Post Office one. Worked fine. Except in Germany where it hardly **** worked at all. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘These prepaid currency cards’ is closed to new replies.