Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • These energy price rises…
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

on average only £68 per customer per year. Doesn’t sound particularly outrageous.

Well of course not when written that way which is why you did it
    20 p per day* per customer would not sound that bad either till you realise how many millions of customers they have and that they are raising prices again to make more money. Many folk are in fuel poverty and will go cold this winter and some will die as a result

* its actually 18.63 p

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Where are the “massively increasing profits”?

Are you after headline grabbing figures ?

Stoner
    Free Member

massively increasing profits for the energy companies year on year,

Really?

EDF, current Net Profit Margin of 4.37%. 5yr average of 4.38%
    SSE, 1.73%
    etc etc

British Gas

(yes I know that is BG marketing material, but the accounts back it up)

The Dividend yield for these company’s is low, c.5%, there are not greedy shareholders growing rich off price gouging.

We’re not even that expensive in the European market for electricity in p/kWh.

djglover
    Free Member

Seems like its very easy for you to ignore anything that does not fit with your view and then accuse others of diversion…oh the ironing

Well I certainly think that there is more to be done to help the vulnerable and less able to pay. But telling the energy companies to collect more revenue on ALL bills to pay for it is not the fairest way to achieve that.

I also happen to think that per minute profits figures are meaningless at worst and misleading at best, without the context of the revenue, margin and the amount re-invested.

konabunny
    Free Member

We could get cheaper bills though by scrapping emissions and climate change programs and increasing reliance on coal for energy production.

You could get cheaper bills by burning car tyres in your fireplace.

Junkyard
    Free Member

there are not greedy shareholders growing rich off price gouging.

I think the regulation may be the reason for that rather than the fact they are nice and dont want to. I assume we both agree they own the shares to make money rather than out of altruism or philanthropy – so yes they are growing rich or they would buy other shares- IIRC that’s how capitalism works

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We’re not even that expensive in the European market for electricity in p/kWh.

France is cheaper. I wonder why that is ? 🙂

France Allows EDF to Raise Electricity Prices 5% in 2013, 2014

“finding a balance between the conflicting goals of protecting households and maintaining EDF as an economically viable company”

It’s almost as if the fact that EDL is a “French state-controlled power utility” makes a difference.

TooTall
    Free Member

Centrica’s adjusted operating profit rose 9% to £1.58bn for the six months to 30 June, up from £1.45bn for the same period in 2012.

El-bent
    Free Member

The Dividend yield for these company’s is low, c.5%, there are not greedy shareholders growing rich off price gouging.

British gas is owned by Centrica, I think you’ll find that as a whole their profits are rather tidy, granted that this sort of business doesn’t yield large dividends for shareholders, but still.

Just think that those profits could have gone into the coffers of Government like EDF and it’s main shareholder instead of idiot privatisation.

TooTall
    Free Member

EDF

Profit by that measure rose 6.9 percent in the first half to 9.7 billion euros ($12.9 billion), beating the 9.24 billion-euro median estimate of five analysts surveyed by Bloomberg. Net income advanced to 2.9 billion euros from 2.78 billion euros.

Stoner
    Free Member

You will find that most electricity companies like other utility companies are owned almost wholly by pension funds for their steady but modest rates of return. Of course Pensions are horrible capitalist concepts and all, but it’s not the same kind of capitalism as Private Equity/Hedge Fund asset plays or financial market jiggery-pokery.

The energy market actually works pretty well. As markets go it’s a transparent one. Regulation hems in returns. Green levies effectively nationalise the country’s environmental costs. We could of course just get rid of those, ignore the pan-European legislation that is due to come in Q2 2015 which will see the shutting down of a lot of the UK’s coal fire electricity production. They could also pull out of the biomass conversion support pricing that will see the re-use of the old coal plants rather than their mothballing. OR how else should it be paid for? As above it’s not like there’s any room in the current EBITDA.

Stoner
    Free Member

TT – you do know the difference between a change in profit percentage and profit percentage dont you? And also that when rates of profit as a percentage are low, percentage changes in that figure can be very much more volatile than if the profit were a high percentage to start with?

Stoner
    Free Member

Scenario A

YEAR 20XX
    £110 Revenue
    £100 Operating costs
    £10 Profit
    10% Profit

YEAR 20XY
    £120 Revenue
    £100 Operating Costs
    £20 Profit
    20% Profit
    100% increase in profit

Scenario B

YEAR 20XX
    £100 Revenue
    £50 Operating Costs
    £50 Profit
    100% Profit

£120 Revenue
    £50 Operating Costs
    £70 Profit
    140% Profit
    40% Increase in profit.

Scenario C

YEAR 20XX
    £110 Revenue
    £109 Operating costs
    £1 Profit
    0.9% Profit

YEAR 20XY
    £120 Revenue
    £100 Operating Costs
    £20 Profit
    20% Profit
    2000% increase in profit

Utility companies working on thin margins are much more like C than B,

Flaperon

Well of course not when written that way which is why you did it
    20 p per day* per customer would not sound that bad either till you realise how many millions of customers they have and that they are raising prices again to make more money.

You’re using evocative language to try to make your point, but ultimately they are raising their prices to maintain a 4% profit margin. It’s a business. That’s how they work.

You could, of course, switch to a provider like Co-Operative Energy which is owned by its customers, and save a fortune because all those big nasty energy companies are gouging customers for profits. Oh, wait. It’s actually slightly more to use Co-Op Energy. Who’da thought it?

Flaperon

Oh, and the reason France is cheaper is because they don’t have to import their electricity. Instead, they lovingly hand-craft it and then flog it to us.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Without fail, any media discussion about price rises includes an expert who suggests we make sure we don’t leave the tv on standby.

It’s my bloody gas bill that’s getting out of hand, not the leccy!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You will find that most electricity companies like other utility companies are owned almost wholly by pension funds

Pensions for who ? Three of the big six energy companies are foreign owned. The company that made the gas connection on my site recently is owned by a Canadian teachers pension fund ffs.

As markets go it’s a transparent one.

MPs slam UK’s ‘Big Six’ energy firms and regulator over lack of profit transparency

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’re using evocative language to try to make your point,

I responded to your spin with similar. You should have just commented on what you did rather than “blame” me for acting like you

Stoner
    Free Member

Im sure some part of your pension pot comes from Canadian pockets too Ernie 🙂

As for the “MP’s report”…
    It’s written by MPs. Just because they dont understand something, doesnt mean it is beyond comprehension.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well if the House of Commons Energy and Climate Change Committee doesn’t understand how the energy companies make their profits, what chance have I got ?

I’m out…

robdixon
    Free Member

France is cheaper due to the proliferation of nuclear power stations i.e. they have more than enough capacity for france’s needs AND enough left over to export some.

When Labour took power in 1997 one of the key tasks in hand was to make decisions on how to replace the significant number of coal and ageing nuclear powered stations that were scheduled to be shut by 2010.

Somewhat predictably no new power stations were approved so the only tangible thing that Labour / Ed Milliband as energy sec did was to sogn up to decarbonisation plans that were more “ambitious” (costly) than the rest of the world and also agree rates for renewables at a cost of 400% the cost of existing supplies.

The combination of lack of supply and the additional costs on suppliers (and retail customers) of decarbonisation / home insulation have come home to roost. The only surprising thing has been the re-writing of history by Ed Milliband who seems to have forgotten the decisions his government failed to make and his own complicity as Energy Sec for decisions that were made and have significantly added to retail bills.

And in other news, National Grid have forecast a record number of black outs this winter due to lack of supply…

dragon
    Free Member

El-Bent: you realise Centrica are making good profits on their Upstream business, not so much downstream.

Higher international upstream gas and oil production and profitability; continued good nuclear performance; UK gas-fired generation loss making in weak market conditions

&

British Gas Residential operating profit marginally higher than in 2012, with significantly higher environmental and commodity costs offsetting the impact of increased consumption due to prolonged cold weather

They made around £600 million profit from residential customers in 2012 & 2013, compared with over £1 billion paid in direct corporation tax.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

More nukes then eh? Hey nuke fans:

Q: What electricity consuming appliance do you own that justifies it’s emissions of nuclear waste?

djglover
    Free Member

I quite like the lights on and hot food.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

France is cheaper due to the proliferation of nuclear power stations i.e. they have more than enough capacity for france’s needs AND enough left over to export some.

And what invested and built those power stations, the state controlled energy sector or the private sector?

It’s a bit like explaining that French railways are cheaper and more efficient than British railways because the French have invested more.

Northwind

ooOOoo – Member

Q: What electricity consuming appliance do you own that justifies it’s emissions of nuclear waste?

Bread machine. Any price is worth paying

matt_outandabout

My whole point of this thread is that we consume too much energy – if we used less, then these price increases would not be such an issue.
    As an added ‘bonus’ we would also have more capacity in the system, would not need to build as many power stations and sources in the future.
    And efficiency measures (compared to generation) are usually maintenance free – insulation, draft proofing, solar gain, closing the curtains etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And efficiency measures (compared to generation) are usually maintenance free – insulation, draft proofing, solar gain, closing the curtains etc.

But most people do that anyway. Who the hell hasn’t got loft insulation or has howling gales blowing through their houses ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bread machine. Any price is worth paying

They make really poor bread in my experience and you lose the joy of kneading – simple though to use.

Northwind

I’d rather handmake, but it gets laborious when you’re doing it all the time (gluten free- doesn’t keep well, and tbh even at its best is not amazing! Oh, also the dough I use can’t be kneaded, it’s more like custard)

That’s a wee bit off topic though. But I would burn the world if it would power my shitty Kenwood in order for me to have a substandard cheese sandwich for lunch on monday.

matt_outandabout

But most people do that anyway. Who the hell hasn’t got loft insulation or has howling gales blowing through their houses ?

No, no they don’t. I am in a rented house this year with lovely new kitchen and daylight round the door…
    And even those who have installed, have not installed to a high enough standard / done enough.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So you live in a house with a badly fitting exterior door, it doesn’t mean that everyone else in the country does. Nor does it mean that ‘daylight round the door’ is the normal standard of installation in the UK.

Most people have done as much as they can to minimize heat loss in their homes, often too much imo. People often end up with damp issues, with the health complications it can lead to, precisely because they want to live in a sealed heat retaining environment and never open a window.

Perhaps more people who live in old Victorian houses should replace their old sliding sashes with new uPVC double-glazed units from Everest, but that costs money, and it is those who are struggling most with their heating bills who can least afford to carry out major renovation work to their homes.

And as you have pointed out, some people live in rented accommodation, why would they replace badly fitting doors – are you going to replace yours ? And why would the landlord care if their energy bills are high ?

footflaps

Perhaps more people who live in old Victorian houses should replace their old sliding sashes with new uPVC double-glazed units from Everest, but that costs money, and it is those who are struggling most with their heating bills who can least afford to carry out major renovation work to their homes.

I can highly recommend the uPVC sash windows from Anglian. Had mine fitted about 14 years ago and they were worth every penny – no condensation, no draughts, match the house nicely. House still loses heat like a sieve mind, just not through the windows….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Youd be surprised ernie.

Amount of rentals ive walked away from due to substandard and down right horrific insulation and over enthusiastic ventalation is crazy – yet folk still rent em.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But I would burn the world if it would power my shitty Kenwood in order for me to have a substandard cheese sandwich for lunch on monday.

every persons ethics has a limit 😉
    Never made gluten free so cannot comment

Can you eat Polenta that makes nice bread?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

yet folk still rent em

Isn’t that precisely the point I made ?

I thought I had when I said : “And why would the landlord care if their energy bills are high ? “

trail_rat
    Free Member

Land lord would soon care if people voted with their feet and didnt rent their crappy rentals.

matt_outandabout

Ernie – we have been suckered into building more and more energy sources: govt. grants and levies go back into big projects, not individual houses.
    Then, when you relatively compare the old houses, the poor houses with the ‘good’ or (gasp) ‘eco’ houses, they look OK. We have accepted that we need to heat our houses for many months a year. We do not do good/excellent levels of insulation, airtightness, water pipe runs etc.
    This is a reflection of government policy; of developers who want to build the cheapest houses they can, and of most people who would rather buy another holiday or kitchen than invest for a lower energy bill. It is a culture that says ‘consuming lots of energy is ok’.
    The few that insulate to a high standard are too few; more insulate a bit and think that is OK, and a bunch of people do not have awareness (or motivation).
    We also need to be ruthless in either flattening more houses and rebuilding to super insulated, passive solar gain, ‘continental’ standards (with mechanical ventilation) – or work with people to invest in more expensive retro-fit energy saving measures.
    I go back to my starting point: the energy companies have just made use of the market we created. The people to be cross at are our ‘leaders’, builders and ourselves.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Slight issue is matt

Alot of old houses were built propperly

Most modern housing withthe exception ofa few smaller builders are just not going to last.

You can do alot with an old building if your prepared to think and spend money on it – beylond just throwing insulation and sealing drafts – as ernie points out that creates more issues than it solves

Mines a 1950s ex cooncil but i spend less on fuel than many of my colleages thanks to led light bulbs ,good thought out insulation( not just heaps of rockwool piled in) – certain walls have been dry lined . thick curtains , blinds , bckdraft shutter on extractors , modern boiler with well thought out rad placements and pipe runs

matt_outandabout

I agree trail rat – hence the need to choose to flatten more houses.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘These energy price rises…’ is closed to new replies.