• This topic has 34 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • These Deal Extreme Lights…
  • the-muffin-man

…are there any UK based company doing similar lights?

I'd rather pay £10-£15 more and get the stuff within a few days than wait weeks and weeks for stuff to be 'packed'!

Ta

CountZero

No, and usually they take a couple of weeks. 'Course, you could pay £245 for a Lupine Tesla which is almost identical, and uses the same P7 emitter.

Toddboy
    Free Member

I bought mine from an online dealer here in Oz. Cost $110 at the time, but has now gone up to $120. There is also a couple of dealers in the States, that sell them. May be a quicker option than buying through DX.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

There are 2 very similar to the magicshine at 'reasonable' cost.

Chain reaction do a 'Nuke Proof' with a P7 head and a 4 cell battery. £200 I think.

On-one do the same light under the name LUU. Around £150.

nickc

On one also do the Airbike lights, £135, perfectly acceptable light, delivered next day (well, probably not now).

roughneck
    Free Member

whats the rush

nickc

I wanted to ride next day, not in 6 weeks…

mboy
    Free Member

If you read the MBUK (I know I know) bike light review in the latest edition, they have reviewed the DX light in that and given it an 8/10 score… But under a different name, from a UK importer, priced at £150!!!

So the answer is yes, you probably can buy it tomorrow, but it will cost you £150… Me, personally, well having dealt with Deal Extreme before, I'd just get and order one from them now and expect delivery within a couple of weeks. But then I don't need one, I bought an Airbike SL2 from On One last Christmas for £125… Which I'm perfectly happy with!

roughneck
    Free Member

Better eat some carrots till it turns up then.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I have to say a couple of blokes turned up with DX lights on our last night ride, and I was impressed. Very impressed. They just don't look 'cheap' at all. And there's plenty of light 🙂

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

There's a few in the UK on ebay, try '900 lumen light' but 2 are auctions and one has a BIN of £120 😯 I'd rather wait 3 weeks than pay that though (offer them £50 as that what it costs), and some listed in Hongkers at higher than DX prices – but they might be in stock or ship faster?

z1ppy

it's hardly fair to complain about there delivery time, last year and (for me this year) was a week to 10 days, hardly the end of the world, definitley not 6 weeks quoted above.

This years they've had unprecidented demand, due to there fantastic price for this type of performance. So they've run out of stock, would the detractors still be complaining if this had been Hope? I doubt it.
    MTFU and just place the order and wait as they will get it together or go spend 3x the price to get the same thing from elsewhere or try paying for the 'express' delivery option.

As an aside, if you look at what happened when Trout and other reported the 'poor' quality issues (swarf & lack of heat paste), they dealt with it. I have no doubt they will be ramping up the production of the Magicshine units and the delivery time will go back to normal soon if it hasn't already.

roughneck
    Free Member

Here, Here, Thats what I was thinking, my P7 lights only took 10 days to come last year.

Entonox
    Free Member

Mine arrived yesterday and took just over 3 weeks to arrive. V pleased for the cash.

There's more on ebay now – search for "900 lumen light" as previously stated.
    £65 'buy it now' + free delivery is the cheapest I see.

Jamie
    Free Member

I am half tempted to order 2 and sell one ebay to recoup the cost of the light i keep.

CountZero

Given a choice between paying £50 and waiting a couple of weeks, and £150/200 and waiting… well, who knows, just to go riding at night on a particular date, well, I know exactly which option I'd go for, and that would involve keeping £100 or so to spend on something else I really wanted. The ride can't be that important. How did you manage up to this point?
    I am continually impressed with my DX light, I can't believe a bike light can be that good for that amount of money. I look at Exposure lights like the Toro, which is beautifully made, but isn't any brighter, and costs £245!
    FWIW, I'm waiting for a Troutelight LL to be delivered next week, around £215 with battery, assembling it myself, and I get 2000 lumens.
    Which is nice. 8)

snaps
    Free Member

I've had stuff from DX in as little as 5 days

the-muffin-man

MTFU and just place the order and wait as they will get it together or go spend 3x the price to get the same thing from elsewhere or try paying for the 'express' delivery option.

Where in my original post did I say I was prepared to pay 3x's more!!! I just wondered if the same stuff was available in the UK for a little more. FWIW I already have a Lumi HID and would just want one of these as a helmet light, so I'm in no panic, it would just be nice to be using one now than in god knows how many weeks time.

Thanks for all the replies though – looks like Deal Extreme are the only option!

Crag
    Free Member

4 weeks and waiting here.

mavisto
    Free Member

Just come across this light.

Eagle Eye SSC P7-D LED 900-lumen 4-mode Bicycle Light

CLICKY

A bit more expensive than the DX light but has more features and a longer battery life.

If only I hadn't just got my DX one

z1ppy

kmavisto, fair play for linking to an alternative, but thats down right nasty/ugly in comparison to the Bastid.

AlexSimon

FYI. Ordered Oct 8th. Shipped today. Hopefully delivered in a week or so.
    So probably a 5 week turnaround.

In sept the turnaround was about 2 weeks.

paul4stones

So it's not worth buying an old tech Hope Vision 1 from Ribble for £67.60 then?

mavisto
    Free Member

z1ppy

Don't shoot the messenger.

How about the Bastid light body with the Eagle Eye battery pack? I liked the charge indicators.

z1ppy

paul4stones – not IMHO assuming you can wait.

Mavisto, I was trying to be as polite about it as possible, though it not as ugly as the bike they've displayed it on 😈

mavisto
    Free Member

z1ppy, Agreed, real fugly bike.

I'd not seen any other 'cheap' lights approaching the DX power until I found that one this morning. Looks a bit like a home made job where someone has cut the front off a torch.

I wonder if it can be modified easier than the Bastid?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Battery meter, waterproof battery pack…..only slightly ugly but it could be effective

teambpl
    Free Member

If anyone's interested, as somebody said previously I decided to order a few extra of these and sell the spares to recoup slightly.

The set up I got is dx mte p7 torch for the bars with mount and ultrafire c1 with mount for the helmet.

I am just waiting for the ultrafire torch coming as they were on back order but have now been despatched and I expect them any day.

So the full set up includes p7 torch, c1 torch, bar mount, helmet mount, 4x 18650 batteries so you have a spare for each torch and of course a charger.
    you will just need an adaptor for the jap plug.

I'll do the full set up for 100 posted next day

post back here or e-mail in profile, cheers

Pippalarge
    Free Member

definitley not 6 weeks quoted above.

Ordered 30th Sept, posted 25th Oct – hopefully be here this week (Royal Mail permitting). 4 weeks and counting…

haddock
    Free Member
    Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Does it matter if it's ugly? You are using it in the dark, after all.

tazzymtb

you can pay £150.00 for a DX light from these profiteering jokers if oyu want

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/luma-c-10-35357

bollard
    Free Member

check this site http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/
    all the same stuff as deal extreme and based in uk

I've got a T5 LENSER TORCH on my hat

http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/LED_Lenser_T5_torch_flashlight.html

does the job doubled with a hope vision 1 on the bars all under £150

(plus the bracket for your hat that comes with the hope can adapt to fit the torch)

Ewan
    Free Member

Bollard – that site doesn't do any of the same stuff as DX? Or even the same type of stuff, it's all low powered last generation stuff. Most I could find was a 250lmn torch; you can get one of those off DX for 14 quid.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘These Deal Extreme Lights…’ is closed to new replies.