• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by snaps.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • These clear skies and solar panels
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

For me the skies look distinctly clearer than they did a couple of weeks ago. I noticed the same with the Icelandic Volcano incident.

Now the other thing I have noticed is that my solar panels are banging out more power than they normally do in March.

Is it just a bit sunnier this March?

Anyone else with solar panels noticed more power generation?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

It’s sunny and the sun is at the best angle for max power. We are in a country town, I guess smoggy cities might notice a difference.
    Ours are doing a good job of powering 2 laptops and 2 PCs for work and home schooling…

Denis99
    Free Member

Generated 24.5 kWh yesterday.

Probably the same today.

pedlad

Not a solar panel owner but curious – do you clean them often? I would imagine this has the potential to make a big difference?

Denis99
    Free Member

Never cleaned them in 5 years.

I haven’t noticed any fall off in performance.

The Solar Edge system allows you to analyse the individual panel output.

There is some variation in output, but this is mainly due to the position on the roof.

yoshimi

Noticed it massively but it does seem like these last few days are the first time I’ve sen the sun in 6 months.

Currently 2 laptops with 2 separate screens, washing machine, dishwasher all going and still pumping 400w back in the system (obv not during heating cycles tho)

sharkbait
    Free Member

the sun is at the best angle for max power

Well this really depends on the angle of your roof/panels – if they’re on a pretty steep pitch for them maybe but generally the best angle is during May.

It’s cooler temperature-wise though… Better for generation than mid summer.

CountZero

For me the skies look distinctly clearer than they did a couple of weeks ago. I noticed the same with the Icelandic Volcano incident.

Well yes, we’re not getting wave after wave of thick cloud and heavy rain coming across the Atlantic, causing February to be the wettest on record! There is certainly a fall-off in air traffic at the moment, I’ve been keeping an eye on AirTraffic24 and there’s less now than 24-36 hours ago.
    Current weather conditions mean that those aircraft still flying are leaving thinner contrails, which are dissipating rather than developing into Cirrus and then thicker rain-bearing cloud.

Denis99
    Free Member

22.8 kWh today

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Little off topic but I’m considering some panels for someone in the family. Does anyone know a site where you can calculate your estimated annual household energy consumption? And likewise a site you can calculate the size of system you need to supply X amount of kwh?

Denis99
    Free Member

You can check with your energy supplier annual statement to see how much electricity you currently use.

The output of an array of solar panels will depend on a number of factors.

How much roof area do you have?

South facing is best.

Angle of the roof.

Any overhanging trees, chimneys etc which may cast a shadow on the panels.

Best to contact a local solar panel installer, he should be able to answer all the questions, with some forecast of efficiency.

ian-r

Banging out up to 3.8 kW today. About 24kwh in total

damascus
    Free Member

@AnyExcuseToRide

I have solar panels and it all depends on how you use it.

For example I boil the kettle first, then when it’s boiled I put the toaster on. Rather than at the same time.

I never put the dish washer, washing machine or dryer on at the same time.

I try and use them during the day.

Basically, depending on your habits depends on how much you benefit from it.

The best energy return I’ve made is a solar iboost which charges tgr immersion heater when I have excess power. Since its been installed its used 3500kwh. (4 or 5 years in June)

snaps
    Free Member

This was what our system was putting out at midday (218 panels on a large warehouse roof)

I have seen 206 kW back in July!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘These clear skies and solar panels’ is closed to new replies.