these 24 hour race things..
You can enter a team usually 4 but you can have pairs and some allow 3s and 5s.
Entries for MM are usually in the spring and it fills up usually within a few days.
CLIQ, Sleepless in the Saddle, Bontrager 24/12 err that mad one in Scotland in January….
Lots of 12 hour ones which are just as much 'fun' 🙂Posted 8 years agostumpy01Member
DezB – don't you all have to do at least one lap (well, that was the rule at the 24/12) although I am not sure how they police this rule.
The 24/12 is a great one to do. There's also lots of 12hr events like the Gorrick 12, Dusk 2 Dawn etc. and shorter ones like the Wiggle Enduro 6.
For 24hr races, I can thoroughly recommend the 24/12 although depending upon your location it can be a real drag to get there – it's in Plymouth & is a 5.5 hr drive for us. Worth it though.Posted 8 years ago
sounds like great fun then, i'll have a look at the ones mentioned. I'm in the lakes so would probably try and enter one in the midlands or the north if there are any.
How long is a lap then usually? And is there some kind of thing you stick on the bike that lets them count your laps? I assume in a team you can use your own bikes (like not all riding the same bike)Posted 8 years agoOllyMember
ive found that come 2-3am in the pissing rain, it sucks ASS.
so the group of 4, tend to choose a 12hr in pairs, rather than a 24hr in 4s.
that way get a a good few dark laps in, the same amount of riding, and get to ride around with someone you know. (and if its a 10 till 10 say, while still knackered, the bar is still open at the end 🙂Posted 8 years agostumpy01Member
meeeeee – laps vary. I think the 24/12 this year had a lap of about 7 miles. The D2D is nearer 11 miles, I think.
Timing-wise you generally get either an ankle bracelet to wear with a chip in it, or an RFID tag stuck to your race number (you all get race numbers). Make sure you put it in the right place – a bloke in the pit next to me on the Wiggle Enduro 6 forgot to put his bracelet on his ankle and left it on his stem – he did two laps before realising that weren't counted.
Yes, you use your own bikes.
With respect to how many in a team & how you do your laps – it's normally up to you.Posted 8 years ago
For the 24/12 this year, we (4 of us) did a lap each in the day and then at night time we did 2 laps each to give everyone else a decent amount of sleep.
For the D2D, I anticipate we'll do a lap each to start, then switch to two laps, then back to 1 lap for the finish.
well i know nothing about them, so can you enter them as a team and take turns or are they for full on mad people who can ride for 24 hours 😯
if you can enter as a team (how many is a tem, 2, 3, 4?) then which are the best ones? I quite fancy trying something like this next year.
When do the entries usually open?
I've heard of the mountain mayhem one but not sure what others there are
ThanksPosted 8 years agocrazy-legsSubscriber
24, 12, there's a few 10hr events (run by the excellent and lovely folk of No Fuss), a few 6hr enduros as well and the slight variation on a theme of 100-mile (or 100km) MTB rides, the Merida 100 or Gorrick 100 for example.
24hr race starts at anytime between about midday and 2pm (depending on race), one rider must be on course at any one time, each rider must do a minimum of 2 laps (unless you injure yourself spectacularly), how you arrange the laps is up to you.
Entry forms are usually linked to from here, the threads start on here several weeks beforehand, gives you plenty of time to enter and prepare.
You need good lights and a sense of humour. At times it will be fantastic fun. At other times it will be the darkest hour of your life.Posted 8 years agonjee20Subscriber
Do one, they're great. 5% of people take it really seriously, the other 95% are just there for a bit of a giggle and to have a good weekend.
The biggest ones (Mayhem and Sleepless) are on rubbish courses, particularly in the wet. The latter is in Catton in Derbyshire though, so probably the closest to you.
24/12 is excellent fun, and the Newnham course holds up well in the wet. Proper mission from the Lakes though!Posted 8 years ago
The topic ‘these 24 hour race things..’ is closed to new replies.