Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Thermarest Sleep Mats or Alternatives…..
  • wombat

I’m in the market for a new sleep mat for camping, it needs to be comfy, lightweight and pack up small.

I really like the look of Thermarests but am less keen on the price, are there any cheaper alternatives I should look at?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Try Alpkit, I have 2 and found them well made, they had them on offer recently too. Here

Cougar

+1 for Alpkit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iDave
    Free Member

+2 Alpkit

Tiger6791

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-x-lite-mattress-782042

Not expensive, but think I paid £15 for mine a sale. For the money very good

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Vango do decent ones too – we have three. Cheap too.

Chew
    Free Member

+3 Alpkit

Depends what you want.

Got the Dirtbag which is super comfy, but doesnt compact down very well.

Also have the predecessor to the Airo which packs down very small with a bit of practice.

Both very well made and the guys at Alpkit are great.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Another one for Alpkit here, have an Airic, which is a predessor for the current range, and more than happy with it, comfy, easy to inflate, and actually keeps me warm too (when teamed with my old Snugpac)

Anthony
    Free Member

Cheap and light?

Google ‘balloon bed’ for the extreme end of the spectrum. 90g and £20!!

They are ace, but not really for ‘normal’ camping duties.

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmm, ‘pends on the ‘carrying’ bit. I use either a Neo Air or Thermarest Pro Lite for backpacking or an Alpkit Fat Airic/Dozer for valley (car) camping. I had a Fat Airic that failed at the seams. Alpkit changed it for the Dozer that has superceded it which was a painless experience.

My Thermarests haven’t missed a beat. For backpacking, I’d take the Neo Air anyday. ‘Someone’ will be along in a minute to convince you to take a half length ensolite mat at ~200g (but zero comfort)…

carlosg
    Free Member

Bought my Thermarest in ’98 and have used it at least 2 or 3 times a year. Always get a good nights sleep with it no matter how cold it is outside the tent, yes they’re expensive but they are very good. I don’t know if it’s still the same but mine came with a lifetime guarantee.

having said that the £15 Vango one that my 5 year old uses is pretty comfy it just doesn’t pack down as small.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

My Thermarest has outlasted 5 alternatives that the missus has had in the same amount of time.
    I’ve just bought her a Thermarest…

Buy cheap buy twice

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I have had the basic full length thermarest for over 12 years now have used it for at least 1 month each year. It has never let me down. My wife has the super delux which is very posh and about as comfortable as it gets.

petrieboy

Alpkit Dozers for car camping (more comfortable than a lot of beds if slept it) and an aero where I need to carry it. Food value and great service from the Alpkit guys.

boblo
    Free Member

I used my Fat Airic for approx 120 nights before it failed. When I called Alpkit about it they confirmed the failure as a known manufacturing fault and replaced it with a Dozer without question.

On reflection, I’m very happy with their service but would have preferred not to have had the failure part way through a 30 night trip.

Cougar

My Fat Airic’s still going strong after a few years, it’s been to countless festivals and camping trips, and serves as a spare bed when I roll in at silly o’clock in the morning wearing a beer overcoat. Really can’t fault it.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

For lightness/smallness the Thermarest Neoair is brilliant. I find it quite comfy to sleep on aswell – just don’t inflate it up too much. I’ve also got an original thermarest that must be about 10 years old which is still going strong, but when space is a priority it’s always the neoair.

jools182
    Free Member

Cougar, you’re not allowed in bed if you come in drunk?

anonymouse
    Free Member

Another Fat Airic going strong as a spare bed when the kids come bed-hopping here.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Thermarest Sleep Mats or Alternatives…..’ is closed to new replies.