Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Theresa Mays battle plan
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Shall we debate the likley incumbents approach to governing this fair isle over the next few years? I shall kick off the “row”
    1. Protection of the establishment –
    Evidence – guarantee of the Farmers subsidies, no referendum for Scotland, Grammar schools, triple lock
    2. Placacting the right/left UKIP Brexiteers
    Evidence – Boris, Fox, Davies, Verbal commitment to Brexit
    3. Borrow to build stuff?
    Evidence Hammonds statements
    4. Reduce external relationships
    Evidence Hinckley
    5. No election till 2020?
    6. Removal of tax credits and child benefit?
    7. Cut Corp tax?
    8. Cut VAT
    9. Agree Norway style EU deal
    10. Continue to raise minimum wage

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Fixed term elections would mean that’s when it happened.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Aren’t they privatising the NHS or have they done that already?

jam-bo

10 Print “Brexixit means Brexit”
    20 Goto 10
    Run

You missed a line

15 do nothing and hope it goes away

fourbanger
    Free Member

9. Agree Norway style EU deal

Oooh are we entering Schengen as well? How exciting!

fourbanger
    Free Member

In Norway now as it happens. Do you think we’ll adopt their beer pricing? £10 a bottle.

sbob
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

They’ve been destroying the NHS since before I was born, they’re just obviously not very good at it.

ninfan
    Free Member

You missed out the new police uniforms

Junkyard
    Free Member

its pretty obvious a minority of tories dont like the NHS
    Its arguable that tories in general don’t love it like the rest of us
    Its definite you wont get any admittance of that from the Torybots on here but most folk dont really trust the tories with the NHS

Is this anymore factual than them not trusting labour with the economies
    Who knows but a biased bish bash insult troll fest on STW , masquerading as debate, is no way to find out.

Personally be a little bit more insular /dislike of foreign “intervention ” on say the human rights we gave to Europe and china re Hinckley. Lots of inclusion speeches, no significant policy on the ground as the aim is to break the nasty party image not actually do anything about helping the needy. Some sort of attempt to get some of Maggies iron legacy tough persona rub of on her.
    I dont think she will be that much different from Dave except more isolationist/distrustful of foreigners

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Reduce external relationships
    Evidence Hinckley

If you mean kill off projects that have financial and technical disaster written all over them then I’m all for it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They’ve been destroying the NHS since before I was born, they’re just obviously not very good at it.

Correct, they have hardly destroyed anything have they? Itsstill going strong (envy of the world) with protected funding. What are they thinking about? Come to think of it I haven’t even seen a prospectus yet. Odd bunch these Tories, they will be pretending that they are into austerity next…

Northwind

uponthedowns – Member

If you mean kill off projects that have financial and technical disaster written all over them then I’m all for it.

Cancelling Hinkley and replacing it with something rational is a great idea. But right now it’s standard Theresa May fare, mismanagement by design- send conflicting messages to partners to undermine the key relationships, set false expectations, change direction erratically and without warning so that even your minister responsible has no idea what’s happening, kick decisions forward and leave everything in limbo. And no word of a plan B.

This is how she’s run the home office for years, it should come as no surprise. It’s quite effective short-term in that you can get things done without ever admitting that’s what you’re doing, but it’s no way to run a country. I actually used to think she was just spectacularly incompetent but you actually have to be pretty good to make this work. Not good at your actual job, though.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Just announced more funding for apprenticeships

P-Jay
    Free Member

Has she said anything yet?

As far as I can tell she’s been PM for a month as of today and I don’t even know what her voice sounds like (shrill I’m guessing).

I genuinely haven’t a clue, yeah we supposedly have fixed term parliaments, but that law was decided by the people who make the laws, they can simply just change it back.

As per usual, I suspect the collective fate of Brits and to a slightly lessor extent the rest of Europe is in the hands of a few dozen people and their paymasters and they’re driven more by personal gain than what they think is best for the majority. At the moment the form book is out the window, I wouldn’t bet on her doing or saying anything.

She’ll aim for Brexit without the messy business of actually doing it in anything but name.

She’ll call a snap election if she is almost certain she’ll win AND increase their small majority because she won’t bet a 4 year term for a 5 year term lightly. If it wasn’t for the state of labour at the moment she’d never call one.

Brexit is a ready made excuse to ignore all and every pre referendum promise on the economy, and anyway all the people who made them are gone.

There won’t be a second Scotish referendum, there won’t be a second EU referendum, there will never be another referendum on anything, ever.

Northwind

oldmanmtb – Member

Just announced more funding for apprenticeships

Yup, but modern shite apprenticeships.

This isn’t actually a purely Tory scam, the last Labour government seriously devalued apprenticeships, but Cameron ripped the arse out of it. Standard company training schemes suddenly became subsidised apprenticeships, all Train To Gain opportunities were rebranded as apprenticeships (even though it was designed from the ground up to fill a gap that apprenticeships were unsuited for). And so on.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Less is more I think, she will do very little I think certainly nothing significant then claim any progress was her doing and any disaster down to Brexit. I don’t think I have ever seen a government in power that can frankly do nothing and prosper.

binners

Considering that their are about 500,000 people in the entire country who would presently vote for the Labour Party. And they’re all just delusional corbynite nutters, trots and Marxists, I’mgobsmacked how restrained she’s been. I thought she’d have immediately called a general election, wiping out the running joke that is the Labour Party then privatised air and re-introduced slavery.

Tonight I’ve spoken to a lifelong labour voter who said that if there were an election tomorrow they’d vote for her. So she’s doing something right by not doing much

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Doing nothing has the worst possible consequences for average Joe, I. E. It’s all slightly worse than it was a couple of months ago. We have NO opposition asking or pushing for change Theresa can put her feet up and have a cuppa

Happy days….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Less is more I think, she will do very little

That woud be a great change.

theauthorities
    Free Member

usual tory wealthfare i imagine
    no reason
    to think otherwise

bearnecessities

6. Removal of tax credits

Tax Credits is going 🙂

br
    Free Member

I wonder how many folk who voted leave are happy that it’s resulted in May as PM, 50% – or less/more?

Be a good example of ‘unintended consequences’ 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

She wont be able to get a deal out of Europe with out free movement of people, I cant see Europe giving in on that so the whole Brexit mess will continue, all well and good Jamby banging on about how good this is and we can trade with the rest of the world, all we have is banking and sod all manufacturing. Yes great idea lets trade with China and Australia but ignore the people 35 miles away 🙄

I can see her coming back to the country saying something like we have tried to get a deal, we cant get one what do you say about staying? Oh and lets start a war that always rallies the country together. We can hide bad news behind it.

Chancellor guaranteeing farm subsidies till 2020, then what? Tory track record on subsidising isn’t good unless it benefits wealthy owners and party contributors oh hang on huge landowners would fall into that category. Train operators as well.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

No announcement on removal of intention to remove tax credits, however the Torit’s fundamentally want rid of benefit subsidies for the employed (Tax credits Child benefit) this is part of the reason behind the continual rise of the tax allowances and Osbournes minimum wage increases they are eroding those benefits. It’s interesting that the farm, infrastructure and research subsidies are only retained until 2020 this will allow a election platform for the Tories to continue to promise ongoing support (objection handling) also this means that any opposition in a GE can at best only match the offers made by the Tories after all its difficult for any opposition to shout down minimum wage increases, creation of jobs in research and infrastructure even if I reality it benefits the well off and big business

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

It’s just all too easy for the Tories at the moment

Dibbs
    Free Member

Learn how to spell Hinkley. 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

It’s just all too easy for the Tories at the moment

Indeed, they can pretty much do as they please apart from things that are massive vote losers like kill of the NHS which I’m sure many would like but dare not say.

zippykona

They are closing a hospital in Epsom as Chris Grayling reckons it’s too difficult to get to.
    Well , for those of us that live near it , it is a piece of piss.
    He really is a grade 1 ****.

julianwilson
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

We all play the game don’t we?

c.f. ‘theft’ and ‘ponzi’ 😉

hora
    Free Member

Interesting article in today’s Observer on pg38/39. Partly reaffirms why I voted leave. No the majority didn’t vote based on a bloody slogan on the side of a bus.

Italy, Spain, Greece all have massively high public debt. Greece isn’t recovering.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

How high is the UK debt hora?

Are we in the same currency union as those countries?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I am sure various factions had various reasons to vote leave, not sure how many read the Observer? I think the spilt was aso follows
    10% because they know they will make money
    25% because they thought enforced repatriation of “foreigners” would happen
    10% because the Daily Mail told them to
    7% made a mistake (retrospective judgement)

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Oldmanmtb you forgot those who voted out because it’s undemocratic, corrupt and costs a fortune!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Unlike the uK parliament which costs more per MP , has a greater civil service, has completely unelected members within it and an unelected head of state appointed by birthright

The criticism of the EU on those democracy/cost grounds was deeply ironic and deeply idiotic

bearnecessities

No announcement on removal of intention to remove tax credits

Tax credits is being replaced by UC.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Not sure many voted on the undemocratic theme and as Junkyard points out our system is significantly less democratic on just about every level (let’s start a proportional representation thread)

binners

Proportional representation will be back on the political agenda again, as official Labour party policy, when it loses 150+ seats at the general election in April.

Theresa will of course tell them to **** off and set about whatever it is that she plans to do, unopposed for the next 5 years.

I think the only thing I’ve heard her say is ‘Brexit means Brexit’. And considering nobody knows what on earth Brexit actually means, it forms the vaguest statement of intent in political history

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

The politics of doing nothing….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As a Brummie,, interesting to see Newsnight follow up on the FT with the influence that Joe Chamberlain has on TM and her main adviser. Might shock a few if that is correct.

Parking the bus right where the voters congregate. Oddly refreshing approach..

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Theresa Mays battle plan’ is closed to new replies.