Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Theresa May speech…
  • crikey
    Free Member

She appears to be standing for the head of the Labour Party too…

ton

wouldnt be a bad idea, a prime minister looking out for the good of the country, instead of looking out for themselves and their friends.

jekkyl

likes cycling does she?

tomhoward

a prime minister looking out for the good of the country

And the rights of the people that live and work in that country? Rather than opposing most of them?

MoreCashThanDash

She was far more “pro rights” than Ledsome – supported maternity rights, gay marriage etc.

Sad day when May is the lesser of the evils….

moneytrain81
    Free Member

A prime minister looking out for the good of the country??! Hahahahaha. Well that is just not gonna happen at all.

ton

obviously. but it would be a good idea…like i said

poah
    Free Member

another tory toff with no clue about anything outside london. wants a police state and has a dubious gay rights voting record

PolisherMan

…and open access for cyclists…?

Klunk
    Free Member

didn’t realize she was married to Arthur Askey 😕 😯

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Trouble is they all make the right noises then do the opposite. A bit like the public they represent eh!

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are a few of us who have been saying for some time that the Tories will move to capture the middle ground which has been vacated by Labour and the demise of the LibDems.

The likely composition of the Cabinet with respect to the portion of women will further embarrass Labour.

andyl
    Free Member

Congratulations Maggie! oops I mean May 😉

I am quite looking forward to seeing what she does. I have faith and I think she might do some good.

theotherjonv

It was a good speech, plenty for all sides in it.

However, as with all politicians it’s not what they say they’ll do, it’s what they actually do.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Congratulations Maggie! oops I mean May

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T5hYlUsQ0s[/video]

Makes you think…

ninfan
    Free Member

another tory toff with no clue about anything outside london.

An Anglican vicars daughter who spent twenty years in banking?

The standards of silver-spoondom appear to have slipped somewhat..

wingnuts

Reminded me of Thatchers opening gambit – “Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope”

Well I’m still waiting for …… Oh yes Harmony, truth, faith and hope!

epicyclo

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    She was far more “pro rights” than Ledsome – supported maternity rights, gay marriage etc.

Indeed, very pro rights. Wasn’t she the one who supported allowing paedophiles to adopt?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the Tories will move to capture the middle ground

True but they wil do it by simply posturing rather than by actually moving.
    I imagine it will be fairly successful with their media friends in tow, Labour self destructing and the public’s penchant for empty rhetoric that will never be delivered on.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Boris Johnson as foreign secretary? I know we want to leave the EU, but piss on the rug on the way out?

Kryton57

Anyone else just got the email? A new party name!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Good satire 😆

Theresa May & Philip John – do these people not know the tradition of having surnames?

igm

That bit about clamping down on tax avoidance by big companies – she may need to start by talking to her husband (allegedly)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@igm that story about her husband was scandalous – the “accusation” is that his firm invests in Amazon, Google and Starbucks. If that’s tax avoidance we are all guilty for shopping / using these services

oldnpastit

jambalaya – Member

The likely composition of the Cabinet with respect to the proportion of women will further embarrass Labour.

Probably the least of their worries for the foreseeable future, until such time as they decide to become electable again.

igm

Jamba – It’s robust on day one agreed, but it’s a fair story if she is going to preach the line on tax that she has today. Perhaps a little inexperience showing – or hypocrisy on the Mays’ part. That said no one is saying he is avoiding tax, and it is up to her to set the rules to properly tax these companies (if she actually means it) rather than crying at them like the previous Tory government.

She’s stepped into a high focus job, she should expect people to examine her words and actions very carefully (and those of those around her – wasn’t it dear old Denis who was an arms dealer?)

PS I do occasionally use Starbucks and i find it difficult to avoid the Google search engine, but I try never to use Amazon mainly because I have found them a shocking company to deal with

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thatchers son allegedly full on crook imho …

As may have seen from my posting history I would very much like to see these companies dealt with, Apple are shocking too

Edited 😉

igm

Arguably

ninfan
    Free Member

Great reaction from Albatross to the BoJo announcement:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/cb7cf4ab-5a04-4941-b7dc-e59869efa8a6

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s neither a fair not a scandalous story. It’s a non story and very poorly written and badly argued. But given that it started by describing Capital Group as a little known investment company in the first few words, it was obviously not a serious piece of journalism.

No wonder the independent struggled.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Actions speak louder than words, or at least they used to before journalists stopped doing research and started concentrating on presenting. Anyway… the civil service is about to be tied up with Brexit related work for the next decade so unless there is an expansion of the public sector, making real changes is going to be very difficult.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well the middle ground is there to be won and that’s what in reality delivers a government. I don’t think either May or Cameron lost any sleep over those who in reality wouldn’t piss on a tory if they were on fire.

another tory toff with no clue about anything outside london.

An Anglican vicars daughter who spent twenty years in banking?

The standards of silver-spoondom appear to have slipped somewhat..[/quote]
    The tory toff line really says more about you than them doesn’t it. It’s an equal opportunities world 😉

anagallis_arvensis

[Quote] The tory toff line really says more about you than them doesn’t it. It’s an equal opportunities world [/quote]

Great, sorted.

poah
    Free Member

The standards of silver-spoondom appear to have slipped somewhat..

I said toff not rich, my PhD supervisor’s parents where farmers but he is most certainly a toff

martinhutch

Toff is aristocracy or landed gentry. May is neither. She’s a middle class vicar’s daughter who went to Oxford University.

Boris is a toff, I’ll give you that. He’s descended from royalty.

igm

Well to be fair to Theresa May (I always hear OMD singing Enola Gay, but that’s my problem) she has lifted the world’s collective post-Brexit gloom with that appointment of American born Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson as Foreign Secretary.

All over the world they’re all laughing now

Apparently…

‘I’m so sorry’: Boris Johnson’s first words as he leaves to start work as Foreign Secretary

Daily Mirror so treat with caution.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

andyl – Member

I am quite looking forward to seeing what she does. I have faith

Bless.

sbob
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Theresa May speech…’ is closed to new replies.