• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • There’s a hole in my bucket, dear STW, dear STW…
  • IHN

But how shall I fix it, dear STW, dear STW?

I have two 23 litre homebrew fermentation buckets. They each have a tap at the bottom, threaded through a 25mm hole in the buckets. I want to remove the taps and bung up the holes so that they are sealed watertight.

I’ve Googled and eBay’d ’25mm blanking plate’ but it’s not bringing back anything that I think looks like the right thing. Any ideas? Straw etc. being a given, obviously…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just leave the taps in and don’t open them?

davidr

Whack in a rubber bung firmly?

stumpy01

25mm Bung Google Search

Stick a bung in & then silicone/hot melt glue around them? Depends what you want to use them for.

Ideally, you could find a bung with a threaded nut on the other side & a gasket to help keep the water in.

Or, as PP say – just leave the taps in.

IHN

Ideally, you could find a bung with a threaded nut on the other side & a gasket to help keep the water in.

Yep, this is what I’m trying to find

Or, as PP say

I’m not falling for PP’s ideas about hole-bunging again, not after last time.

gobuchul
    Free Member

What are going to use them for? If you are still brewing with them, whatever you patch with will need to be food grade.

As others have said, just leave the taps.

Or but some new ones? You can get 2 new ones from Ebay for £13. Ebay food grade búckets

IHN

If you are still brewing with them, whatever you patch with will need to be food grade.

Yep, still going to be brewing with them. what does ‘food grade’ actually mean (serious Q)? I kind of assumed that as long as the bung was plastic and not, I dunno, lead, it’d be fine.

timba
    Free Member

BSP tank outlet nut, sealing washer and a BSP plug

nickjb
    Free Member

Will one of these fit? You can get a few different sizes but this is the most common and about the right size

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-blanking-off-plug/65267

slowoldman

With straw – obviously.

IHN

Will one of these fit? You can get a few different sizes but this is the most common and about the right size
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-blanking-off-plug/65267

I think we have a winner

munrobiker
    Free Member

Will that be able to withstand the pressure that builds up whilst brewing?

tomparkin

Yep, still going to be brewing with them. what does ‘food grade’ actually mean (serious Q)? I kind of assumed that as long as the bung was plastic and not, I dunno, lead, it’d be fine.

If it were me I’d be using something food-grade. Non-food-grade plastics (depending on the plastic) may leach toxic chemicals into your beer. Some of these are known carcinogens. So for the sake of a little bit more searching about, why not go food-grade?

IHN

Will that be able to withstand the pressure that builds up whilst brewing?

The only pressure is the static fluid pressure of 23 litres of water/beer in the bucket. Any gaseous pressure goes out through the bubble chamber at the top.

Non-food-grade plastics (depending on the plastic) may leach toxic chemicals into your beer.

So what’s a ‘safe’ plastic then? Plumbing stuff all seems to be polypropylene

maccruiskeen

I’m not falling for PP’s ideas about hole-bunging again, not after last time.

Taps aff

benp1

Can you turn them around so the hole is at the top?

Or how about a champagne cork wedged from the other side?

WillH

If you’re still using them for the post-boil side of brewing you’ll want something removable so you can give it a good clean between brews, otherwise it will be a great hiding place for all sorts of stuff that could ruin the next batch.

IHN

Yep, which is why something like the blanking plug above will be perfect, can just unscrew it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘There’s a hole in my bucket, dear STW, dear STW…’ is closed to new replies.