Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • There's a design fault with most water bottle cages.
  • Solo
    Free Member

vorlich
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you people be working? 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interesting that they make a point of stating this.

All the steel frames I’ve had stripped and PC’d have had the bottle mounts brazed in?

Of my alloy frames my old merrida was welded IIRC, the cannondales were rivited (and one had issues), I haven’t looked at the Pitch (but suspect as they’re owned by merrida that they’re welded too).

The design flaw seems to be the rivinuts then, not the bottle holders? Anyone had any problems with welded/brazed bottle mounts?

who uses bottle cages anyway? Its all Camelback round here

Get back to MBR, we’re far too niche here.

On a serious note I stopped using camelpacks for shorter rides, and bought a 1.5l one for winter rides as it’ll hold about 750ml of fluid + battery and the usual contents of my jersey pockets. The big propper one still comes out for longer rides.

coogan
    Free Member

My Dakine back pack fits perfectly. And much better than a bottle cage.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you people be working?

this is work 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

I thought bottle cages on mtb’s were for light batteries.
    Do people only ride with bottles?
    If you do where do you put all the rest of the stuff?

Cubed
    Free Member

erm?? wouldn’t a brace between frame and cage make more sense. Protect the frame, reduce vibration and help spread load. Nothing worse than bottle cage wobble noise.

clubber
    Free Member

mtg, I think you’re an engineer ( are you actually an Engineer?) looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist in the real world…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you do where do you put all the rest of the stuff?

Jersey pockets (CO2, tool, patches, gel and a gillet)

Spare tube and spare brake pads taped to the frame/seatpost (makes having the right one easier too, rather than a backpack full of 26/29″ tubes)

Quick links inside the brake levers (same logic as above with, 9s, 10s SS bikes)

This does rely on you not following the MBR/MBUK trend for wearing DH jerseys for XC though.

kevolution
    Free Member

CAMELBACK

mtg, I think you’re an engineer ( are you actually an Engineer?) looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist in the real world…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bottle-cage-eyelet-loose-in-frame

😛

stuarty
    Free Member

Spare parts ,shocked with people taking spare pads
    Does no one give there bike a quick check before taking it out

Am I not going long snuff runs ,never worn a set of pads out on a run.

Sticky patch and a co2 and bank card for breakfast water bottle that’s it
    Nine times out of ten I forget the patch

PS my giant and the missus felt are both welded bottle bosses

andyl
    Free Member

I would prefer there to be clearance between the bottle cage and the frame as it is easy for dirt to get trapped in there and the thing will flex and move around with the weight of a bottle of water so there is a high risk of abrasion damage to the frame – regardless of the material. Also clearance gives the opportunity to have pump mounts. If anyone has a cage that contacts or comes very close to contacting the frame then put some protection tape on the frame where it could rub.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘There's a design fault with most water bottle cages.’ is closed to new replies.