Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • There'll be trouble ahead – Swinley Forest content
  • thepurist

Latest I heard was 28th or 29th March – but maybe not all the new stuff will be fully open.

ralph1471
    Free Member

Whilst searching for this thread on google I found this article, date 19th Feb, which says more or less the same thing. Interesting that they sold everyone on the idea of new trails but were not very forthcoming with the news about the old ones. I guess we should have expected it really, given that even from the start they said the reason for building new trails was that the old ones are ‘unmanageable”. Personally I’m gutted as I’ve spent a lot of time up there in the last year and even though I expect the new ones will be fun, its a shame to lose some great trails.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-21499732

Jason
    Free Member

Does anyone know when the official opening day is?

The last I heard was that the 28th April was the planned day to open the trials, although the wet weather over the past couple of week might have delayed that.

soundninjauk

I don’t want to predict doom and gloom until I’ve been there. I know where my favourite riding is, but unfortunately I live in London and the Lake District isn’t somewhere I can get up to regularly. Swinley was good because it was near, fun, and I didn’t have to gear up for that ‘epic adventure’ type of affair that can occur up north.

I’m still hoping that it’s going to be the same, just with easier to find trails from now on. I can see how all this uncertainty could not be great with people who have been used to having the run of the place for years though.

rattrap
    Free Member

With the trail starting at the discovery centre I reckon theres a lot of potential for user conflict- everyone is going to use the loop, I predict, from families with kids on balance bikes and mums on shoppers, through to the fully committed flying along in the big ring using it to access greener pastures.

‘T’was ever thus’, surely – but at least now they’re not spending the first half a mile dodging between dogs on stretchy leads, pushchairs and prams, plus all heading in the same direction (one way loops)

The user conflict in and around the user centre and the first few hundred yards of trails in every direction was ridiculous beforehand.

br
    Free Member

Luckily I don’t live down there anymore, but what we use to love doing was just exploring.

Off the established ‘trails’ are hundreds of yards (and more) of singletrack that folk just don’t use. And this is what I think is the loss.

ralph1471
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

Don’t be so defeatest. Fallen trees and debris can be moved, bracken can be cut, wardens can be politely ignored. Keep on keeping on.

Love this. Fight tha power!

mattjg
    Free Member

Personally I’m gutted as I’ve spent a lot of time up there in the last year and even though I expect the new ones will be fun, its a shame to lose some great trails.

Give it some time Ralph, these issues often turn in cycles, the boundaries move one way then the other. It’s rarely static.

stanleigh
    Free Member

There’s a ‘ Mega Train ‘ opening ride on Good Friday posted up. This group are involved with CE , so I think we can take it that’s the official opening day.

Alas , it still can’t be guaranteed that all trails will be fully opened cus of this shitty weather.

MrAgreeable

What kind of dickhead would sue the estate after crashing on their bike?
    Jeez.

I’d say that the chances of stopping insurance claims entirely by putting in a purpose built trail are very low. They might be able to defend them more effectively, but you can’t stop numpties from suing you.

stanleigh
    Free Member

Some people are reminiscing about the old off piste trails that might be lost.

Regular riders might agree that it’s all been so over ridden & the weather so foul , barely nothing is ridable at the moment , a complete bog.

The new trails will at least give some ‘ all weather ‘ options.

Remember , Swinley forest is but a small part of the ridable area.

If you want natural , there’s Crowthorne Woods , Bagshot Common , Broadmoor , Sandhurst ect , all without crossing a road !

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d say that the chances of stopping insurance claims entirely by putting in a purpose built trail are very low. They might be able to defend them more effectively, but you can’t stop numpties from suing you.

True, I’d guess tho CE have a pre-prepared defence, they’ve likely already done it as part of this process. This means the cost of initial, and hopefully usually successful, rebuttal of the ambulance chasers will plummet to a letter.

In which case the ambulance chasers will move on to other low-hanging fruit. They’re not in it for the benefit of the injured party, it’s a numbers game to them.

wwaswas

In which case the ambulance chasers will move on to other low-hanging fruit

So next time you overcook it on that high consequence off camber section and all you can see as you high side the bike is a sea of blokes in suits proffering business cards you know it’ll be time to find a new favourite riding spot.

tonyd

the estate was currently facing a £50,000 out-of-court settlement to an injured rider.

Wow. If only I’d thought of that when I broke myself on the double in the jump gulley a few years ago. I foolishly put a dislocated shoulder and chipped elbow bone thing down to my own stupidity and inability to jump higher than 2 inches.

I’ve mixed feelings about the direction things are taking at Swinley, but ultimately CE have to make some tough choices and I’ll be giving them a large helping of benefit of the doubt. If it turns out rubbish, well there are other places to ride.

MrAgreeable

This means the cost of initial, and hopefully usually successful, rebuttal of the ambulance chasers will plummet to a letter.

If only. I used to work in PI law and the firms that instructed me would never be put off by a strongly-worded letter.

The end of the recoverability of ATE insurance premiums will probably reduce the number of low-value claims massively, not sure whether the same can be said of the the new generation of purpose-built trails.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Does anyone have a good idea how long the new red and blue trails are?

shortcut

Surely people are missing the main advantage of this initiative.

With nice all weather one way trails we won’t have to endure the following threads again:
    What tyres for Swinley coz its raining?
    I got lost in Swinley last time I went – anyone around to guide me?
    What are conditions like in Swinley after the rain yesterday?

On a serious note – this seems like a good thing. One way trails is a great thing for the area and some of the new (open) trails are pretty good. Also they have kept Stickler which is just brilliant.

sugdenr
    Free Member

This what we were all waiting for, and in the circumstances it is not unreasonable. For the masses it is necessary, enforecement has to be seen to be done, but relatively few people rode corkscrew, bombholes, rollercoaster etc. Watson’s wander was a rooty bog not a trail.

However as long as there is Gorrick and races at Swinley, there will be sneaky off piste left from the races that can be used by the few.

‘ Over the wire ‘ Bagshot Heath

I heard there may be a rideable route through the back of pennyhill, does anyone know? Else where do you normally go, up Maultway or climb over under the pylons?

Jason
    Free Member

Also they have kept Stickler which is just brilliant.

Has someone hi-jacked your login Shortcut? I didn’t think you could get your big wheels around Stickler?

gee
    Free Member

“its a shame to lose some great trails”

You aren’t!

I think there is a lot of precious behavior over all the redevelopment. No need really… It will be fabulous for the sport if more people can access fun trails. Good news.

GB

theotherjonv

No more racing in swinley, from what I understand

allthepies
    Free Member

The Enduro’s still on the Gorrick calendar for May.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Just move further North and/or West. There are far better places to ride 😉

sarge
    Free Member

As someone who has actually checked out most of the new stuff I can report that this is def a good thing for Swinley. The best old stuff made much better and lots of excellent new stuff built by someone who clearly knows what they’re doing.

Unless I’m missing a bigger plan of everyone moaning so it doesn’t get used much, I’d recommend stop whinging and get down there.

Email today was written in a negative way ‘cos those guys got cut out of the process and are unhappy.

cinnamon_girl

Of course we just have to take their word for it that they’ve been sued.

It’s plausible though. I doubt they’d lie, they’ve no reason to.

Do you believe everything you’ve read/been told? 😀

andymc06
    Free Member

Muppet – the new blue and red will be 15 miles combined.

Which bits are open now, and are they signposted?

I’m taking a group of kids there on Sunday and I haven’t been for about a month. Last time most of it seemed to be shut.

Straightliner

As JonV points out, no more racing (at least for now) in Swinley. The Gorrick Enduro is NOT in Swinley this time round, although the website still says it is. It will be hosted at Porridgepot/Windmill Hill (Deepcut).

The creation of the new trails is a good thing for 80% of the people using the forest. The locals who ride it at odd times fo the day, and spent hours learning the random sections and knew the little bits of trail to connect other areas are the ones who will feel let down by the developments. I’m not saying they won’t enjoy the new stuff, but the ability to vary your route each time is going to be removed or reduced considerably and that will probably reduce their enjoyment.

Yes, there is plenty of other riding in the local areas, but there have been issues with riding on the MOD land so the risk may be that these areas end up with more riders on them as they seek variety away from a pre-defined loop.

thepurist

Which bits are open now, and are they signposted?

Officially I think its w9y, stickler, tank traps and the labyrinth area. If you see plastic mesh pushed to one side at the start of a trail that means its still closed but someone who thinks they know better has ridden it anyway. If you see plastic mesh at the end of an apparently open trail then you must immediately repent and strangle one kitten for every time you thought you were enjoying yourself.

br
    Free Member

Muppet – the new blue and red will be 15 miles combined.

Well that’s the morning sorted, with a late start…

cinnamon_girl

I think riders are worried that the trails will become crowded with perhaps little opportunity for old girls like me to pull over for a fag and a breather.

Absolutely detest anyone on my back wheel, it can be quite intimidating and offputting.

Would be interesting to know what the percentages are of locals and those who travel further afield.

Officially I think its w9y, stickler, tank traps and the labyrinth area.

Thanks. That lot added to some of the fire roads and Crowthorne should give us plenty of riding. Is it obvious which way round they have to be ridden or are we still going both ways?

mattjg
    Free Member

Do you believe everything you’ve read/been told?

@cg no but neither am I as cynical as I once was. Most people are just trying to do their jobs as well as they can, just like we do.

I don’t see CE making up a bare faced lie, they’ve no need to. They’d just say “we’re scared of being sued” rather than quite specifics.

stanleigh
    Free Member

@somewhatslightlydazed , sign posted & one way.

fibre
    Free Member

Went the other day and everything I rode last year was still there, with added packed down kitty litter. The new reservoir trail was fun, just needs to dry out lower down, the top is quite quick already. I don’t know the locals secret stuff so cant comment on that. I normally take a weekday of work to ride it, so I’m not going to worry about traffic as there isn’t any then :).

mega
    Free Member

Can Swinley still be ridden at night?

Wondering what happens if you were to get lost off the exceedingly well signed trail. I imagine it would take quite a bit of exploration to get back to the exceedingly well signed trail.

FieldMarshall

Wondering what happens if you were to get lost off the exceedingly well signed trail. I imagine it would take quite a bit of exploration to get back to the exceedingly well signed trail.

And you might accidently ride a section the wrong way by mistake………

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think riders are worried that the trails will become crowded with perhaps little opportunity for old girls like me to pull over for a fag and a breather.

Absolutely detest anyone on my back wheel, it can be quite intimidating and offputting.

Would be interesting to know what the percentages are of locals and those who travel further afield.

I dont want to appear unkind but you arent forced to ride at Swinley..

kimbers

I rode some of the new stuff last week its a lot of fun, as long as the play areas are still accessible it should be fine

Im happy to drive 2.5hrs to cwmcarn for an xc loop with no off piste, im just as happy to drive 45mins for the same

boobs

I think the new stuff looks great. I do hope there is a settling in, rebuild time. Some of the new stuff, (eg off the tank traps) may erode quite quickly. There is, from what I have seen, plenty of opportunity to bin it and land in a crunpled heap. Stuff near the reservoir had my grinning but I am old and slow ( :wink:)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘There'll be trouble ahead – Swinley Forest content’ is closed to new replies.