Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • There are no stupid questions…. single ring to multi ring ( I know, I know)
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

The GF has just splashed out on her first full suss….
    a Nukeproof mega tr in the sale.

It seems almost perfect for what she wants, the only downsides are it has avid brakes, that we will swap for shimano…

and its a single ring (Chainset: Truvativ Descendant 1.1 GXP, 170mm, 36t)

she currently runs a triple on the HT, and I cant see her coping with a single ring, none the less ive got a 32t to pop on for her to try.

If/when she decides she wants to change to multi ring set up, what do I need to know?

obviously I will need a front mech/shifter/cable, and new crankset…

I hear bad things about SRAM front mechs, can I fit a shimano front mech and use a SRAM shifter (so it matches the rear) without messing, or are we better just using a shimano shifter as well?

will any new multi-ring crankset just plug into the BB once I have removed the single ring crankset?
    thinking, race-face/sram/shimano are they all cross compatible, or do i need a matching bottom bracket….

we could take it to a shop, but then we will never learn 😉

Conan257
    Free Member

Chainset: Any *should* fit the BB assuming it’s an HT2 and you get an HT2 crankset to go with it. Current cranks might well be 3 ring compatible which might be a better option (just buy new rings).

Front Mech: Shimano and SRAM pull the same amount of cable so are cross compatible. Get whatever front-mech suits your budget (I run SLX front mech with X9 shifter)

pixelmix
    Free Member

BB / crank arms aren’t cross compatible generally (although you can get adaptors for some standards).

Basically, if it is GXP, you want SRAM crank arms, and if it has an HTII BB, you want Shimano crank arms. To be honest, BBs are so cheap, you might as well get a new one to match the crank arms you want.

Have you considered whether there is enough clearance for 2 or 3 rings, and there is a suitable mount for a front mech? Some frames are now designed with 1×10 in mind. Might be worth sticking some borrowed cranks in to check there is ample clearance for the inner ring.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Frame had a direct mount adaptor, that we have ordered also, so I’m assuming it’ll be fine for double or triple with a direct mount mech…

I thought the cranks might not be compatible across bottom brackets, thanks for confirming.

z1ppy

Never got an answer as to why, but for reference, the Mega (non-tr) couldn’t run a triple (though you don’t say if it that or a double you’d fit TBF) so doubt the TR does either..

honourablegeorge

Conan257 – Member
    Chainset: Any *should* fit the BB assuming it’s an HT2 and you get an HT2 crankset to go with it. Current cranks might well be 3 ring compatible which might be a better option (just buy new rings).

BB is a SRAM one, will only fit SRAM cranks, won’t take Shimano or Raceface

Descendant cranks are single only, can’t convert to triple/double.

Think the mega only takes a single or a double, something about clearance, not sure.

honourablegeorge

fitnessischeating – Member

I hear bad things about SRAM front mechs, can I fit a shimano front mech and use a SRAM shifter (so it matches the rear)

Yeah, you can.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘There are no stupid questions…. single ring to multi ring ( I know, I know)’ is closed to new replies.