Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Them there those inflatable canoes/kayaks?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Are they ALL just ‘toys’ or are some worth a look?

Not for serious stuff of course but wouldn’t mind something that could handle say, a sheltered Scottish sea loch.

(I did have a 16ft open canoe up till last year which I never even used due to the fact I had to lift it over next doors fence to get it out of our garden, so I sold it)

Any ideas?

scotroutes

Any length of cord will do but try not to leave it dangling in the water where it could get caught in a tree etc.

Oh. Pointers…

MrOvershoot
    epicyclo

Skitter all over the place in a bit of wind.

I prefer a proper boat.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sevylor Madison Premium. Its fantastic.

We use it loads during the summer round the beaches and coves local to us in Devon and Cornwall.

Sure a classic open boat would paddle better but for ease of transport and practicality it’s really very good.

It’s design for two adults but we often have two adults and two kids in it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I was looking at inflatables for the van for a while

And pretty much settled on a single sit on surf kayak…..

Seemed most of the inflatables are designed as disposable as the valves die.

The seveylor used to be great and got rave reviews and then we’re bought by Coleman who cheeped out the valves and it reads like the new valves don’t last and are not replaceable…..

How ever that Intex with Boston valves and at 90 quid is more palatable than the cost of a sevylor f it goes wrong.

Id love a alpAcka but 700 starting price is out the question. I just want it for paddling along side the wife as she wild swims.

julians
    Free Member

We bought a sevylor adventure from decathlon 3 years ago it cost about £200its been fine in the med for pottering about, not as good as a rigid boat but does the job just fine.

However it died at easter ( seams rotted ss i cant essily dry it out before folding it up) , so just bought a new itiwit 2 man inflatable yesterday from decathlon, which im sure will also be fine.

convert

Considered an Sup?

Im a ‘proper’ sea kayak kind of person and think I’d struggle to enjoy an inflatable variant. But I like the Red paddle co SUP we have almost as much as the proper rigid SUPs I’ve used.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Red paddle sup =more expensive than an alpAcka which is alot closer to a rigid kayak than most of the ones suggested in this thread which id place in the dinghy catagory (as in I’d only consider using them where I’d use a dinghy) where as alpAcka can be used in white water

RoterStern
    Free Member

We also have a Sevylor  and a more upmarket version from Decathlon. For an hour or so they are OK but they glide through the water like a tractor and you will get wet in them so only for fair weather unless you go padding in water proofs.

convert

Red paddle sup =more expensive than an alpAcka which is alot closer to a rigid kayak than most of the ones suggested in this thread which id place in the dinghy catagory (as in I’d only consider using them where I’d use a dinghy) where as alpAcka can be used in white water

There is that. Buying it was a gulp moment in terms of cost and I went for that one partly because of the shape but mainly because of the stiffess. The OP has not said  if cost is a factor in their choice. Also got to confess I’ve never tried an AlpAka so it could be they would work of me.  They look more like a one man white water raft and pretty cool. Still maybe not great for flat lochs though. It’s the thickness of the sidewalls I struggle with as it makes so much difference to stoke in comparison to a conventional kayak or canoe. That and vulnerability to cross winds. But then I dislike sit on tops too so maybe I’m just very fussy when it comes to kayaks.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Ive got the sevylor Wabash from decathlon it’s fine for pottering around on lake’s and I’ve used it on the sea just paddling around a calm bay it’s seems well made and has decent Boston valve’s .As a fair weather paddler it’s fine suppose it depends on how you intend to use it the only pain is drying for this I just leave it spread out in the garden or in the shed if it’s raining and use an old towel to remove the puddle’s inside the boat

julians
    Free Member

Just been out for the maiden paddle in the decathlon itiwit 2 seater, seems fine , will do exacty what i want from it – ie act as a tender to get me from the main boat to shore.

Id recommend it for general padelling about

senorj

I had a go in a friend’s one . From go outdoors. it was ace for a paddle under the shadow of snowdon. 🙂

i was glad I didn’t have to pack it away.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks for the info chaps! A ‘proper’ canoe is out of the question. For a start I’d have to shift the caravan off the drive to get one out of the garden every time, plus anything heavy-ish would be a pain for a shortarse like me to get on the roof of the car!

It would only be for occasional use but I’d like something half decent.

peakboy
    Free Member

I think a lot comes down to you get what you pay for. I have a Gumotex Swing 2 (http://www.gumotexboats.com/inflatable-kayaks). Great for lakes, canals and estuary paddles. Not ideal in windy, open sea conditions, but then neither are most sit-ons. We take out the sea kayak in those conditions.

Sevlyor, Gumotex and Decathlon, plus some others, seem to have some good options. I’d suggest checking that the seating position works for you (upright, snug, but not too tight). Inflatables tend to be wide and the seat positions low, so longer than typical paddles might be needed (we use 218 and 228 cm).

Good luck.

petec
    Free Member

we had a couple of those Intex Explorer ones in @mrovershoot’s photo. For use on the Thames in summer

First one split. Got a free replacment. Replacement punctured. Got a free replacement. Other one then split. Got a free replacement.

See the trend?

We gave the brand new one away to the school fete as an auction prize. We’ve still got the other in the garage.

We then bought some Tootega Pulse sit on tops. Two small ones, and a double.

Much better for pootling around. Incomparable. Superb in fact.

The inflatables take ages to blow up, take up almost as much room as a normal one, and you’re always fearful of roots/branches/gravel. Etc

However, they were only £80 each. A decent inflatable maybe a lot better…

km79
    Free Member

Not for serious stuff of course but wouldn’t mind something that could handle say, a sheltered Scottish sea loch.

I’m not sure there is such a thing as a sheltered sea loch when it comes to inflatables. The tend to sit on top of the water rather than in it and even the calmest loch can whip up in next to no time. Many a time I’ve been out in my 14ft inflatable boat (sib) in perfect conditions and been really glad I had an outboard 15mins later. Not that I’ve ever tried a kayak right enough and I have seen plenty out in them, I just wouldn’t fancy it.

AlexSimon

Our Gumotex Scout sits a little more in the water.
    The Palava we had before was a little more prone to being blown by the wind.

The quality is amazing and I personally wouldn’t buy the bladder type canoe. Unfortunately Gumotex are expensive.
    My brother donated mine so we could join him on canoe trips and I’ve very grateful!

nickjb
    Free Member

Very happy with ours. It’s an older sevylor. The quality is great. Proper valves. Been out many times in it over the years. Not as nice to paddle as a rigid but ok. Works in the waves. Does a good job as a tender or ferry. Ours will take two adults comfortably or squeees in an extra child and bags of kit.

The inflatables take ages to blow up, take up almost as much room as a normal one

Totally disagree with both those points. Ours goes up very quick. The two cells are up in under a minute each with an electric pump. A little longer with a foot pump but not much. The track pump style pump it came with was a bit slow, though. As for storage it packs very small. Goes under the bed in our camper and on a shelf in the garage. No way a rigid would do that, let alone a two man

winston
    Free Member

A few points to add

Sevylor bladders (the 3 inflatable chambers in all but the cheapest sevylor boats) are fragile and prone to puncture if they are over inflated or folded too many times. This is because they are plastic and just like say a ‘bag for life’ will eventually wear along the fold lines etc. They are easy but expensive to replace. Sevylor are mass produced in china Sevylor quality is not what it was six years ago as they have been bought out.

Gumotex boats are made of rubber and have no bladders. They hold double the pressure of a sevylor (4psi v 1.5psi) and consequently the boat is stiffer and handles better. They also last longer as there are no plastic bladders to fail and the nitrilon rubber is very tuff. There is also an over pressure valve on the floor to protect the boat from over inflation. gumotex are hand built and hand tested (every boat is blown up twice for inspection during the manufacturing process) by mad czechs in czech republic who have been designing and making inflatable boats for 60 years.

Most inflatable boats (even sevylor) will handle a larger sea than a sup unless the paddler is very skilled.

An £80 inflatable is a boat shaped object – you get what you pay for.

Disclaimer: I am associated with the site linkled above.

FuzzyWuzzy

What about the sectional rigid ones (that split into 2 or 3 pieces)? Never tried one but if you have boot space might be an alternative over an inflatable

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fuzzy

Funny you should mention those.

Was Just on the point 65 No website this morning

Looking at the tequila gtx. There’s one for sale locally on the used market at a good price and it would let me use it solo or tandem when the wife wants to not swim.

Would work well for my storage method In the van limited to 10ft in length —-have to be vertically on the back door as got solarpanels on the roof.

Are they any good. Anyone else make them apart from point 65No?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Them there those inflatable canoes/kayaks?’ is closed to new replies.