Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • The working day & school closures
  • oldgit
    Free Member

JUst curious to see how many other people that went to work have had to re arrrange their working day because of the closures.

I’m not having a pop, but why do schools seem so ready to close for the day when it snows. I did mean to ask a usic teacher I know that attends eleven schools in the area, but today only one is open.

sofatester
    Free Member

Everyone here is making a fuss.

Schools shuting because most teachers hate there job. They will look for any excuse to not be there.

#opens can of worms and stands back#

uplink
    Free Member

Most other public services seem to be able to stay open

They’ve opened up OK here though

djglover
    Free Member

If the staff can’t get in, what will the kids do?

Public transport is effectivley cancelled in london, so how are schools meant to open?

CHB

You see, this wouldn’t happen in Florida!

wwaswas

My wife’s a teacher so child care rather sorted itself out today 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

If that can of worms ever needed opening it was now.

flip
    Free Member

It’s now stopped snowing here and only now has my step daughter been sent home 🙄

Don’t get it, it’s only 2″ of snow.

nickc

It’s a combination of things. Teachers not getting in is one, there are various regulations about teacher pupil ratios, another is what happens at the end of a school day if parents can’t get to the school to collect the child, another is infrastructure, heating breaks down…also injuries, who’s fault is it if a child slips. It’s just a massive PITA really, so best thing all round is to close

oldgit
    Free Member

Surely if you live in the catchment area you can walk in.
    Public transport grinds to a halt, and yet everyone I know that drives to work got in on time.
    Blimey I think I’ve sat on the same toilet seat as Jeremy Clarkson.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

It’s just a massive PITA really, so best thing all round is to close

Yes thats maybe the case

But hospitals, libraries, shops, etc etc etc all have the same ‘PITA’ and stay open so why dont schools?

sofatester
    Free Member

I doubt it oldgit. He doesnt need a seat, as all his #### comes out of his mouth.

nickc

Surely if you live in the catchment area you can walk in.

True if you’re a parent, some of our teachers drive in from 20 miles away, some of our parents work further away than that.

Because Hospitals have too, and libraries, shops etc don’t have the same constant populations of children in them.

T’was ever so, chaps schools have pretty much always closed during heavy snowfall

oldgit
    Free Member

Hmmmm I wonder then how many private schools close for the day.

nukeproof
    Free Member

School use to close when I was a kid and I’m sure they did when most of you were kids so now I’m a Dad its nice to see my children getting a great excuse to spend the day messing about in the snow which, given we’ve not had decent snow in the South East for years, is something I’m glad they can experience.

However, if they’re still off by about Thursday, I’ll be pulling my hair out and phoning the council demanding they re-open 😉

geoffj

Stop being such a miserable oldgit and get them outside and build a snowman! 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Cheese and rice geoffj can’t you see I’ve the hump. I’m bloomin self employed with staff and I still can’t have the day off to ride in the snow.
    Hence the teachers are getting it today.

kevonakona
    Free Member

AFAIK in scotland you are, as a teacher meant to report to your nearest school if you cannot make it to yours.
    I’m in today but then we have serfs to clear the paths 😯

geoffj

B0ll0x to the private school – get yerself a governess.

mt
    Free Member

Hey Nuke, your right give the kids time out to play while we have the white stuff they all grow up pretty quick these days, not more than as day though. Bit of snow brings out the child in us all (for at least 5 mins). Was getting me paper this morning and there was a teacher moaning that today was a training so the kids would not have been in anyway, she felt cheated. Lazy cow.
    Don’t remember having days of school because it snowed, remember having to walk to school even when the snow was above our front door, this was some time ago and people were not so soft (born in the 50’s). Few of the folks at this place walked in today, not just the older ones either. There is some hope at least.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good advice geoffj.

And I’ve been such a bad bad boy miss.

uplink
    Free Member

Because Hospitals have too

so it’s possible then?

andym
    Free Member

Hmm.

They were saying on the news that something like one in five people are ‘working at home today’. In central London ambulances are going out for life-threatening emergencies only. So it seems a bit unfair to single out teachers. And anyway what sort of miserable git would begrudge kids a once in a blue moon chance to play in the snow?

Mind you I can remember in the winter of ’63 (now that was a proper winter) going to school when I was knee-high to a grasshopper and the snow was up to my waist (blah di blah di blah)…..

geoffj

Some of them returns from Google image search were a bit interesting 😆

uplink
    Free Member

Mind you I can remember in the winter of ’63

me too – I was 5
    I remember them digging out the school gates so we could get in
    That’s when teachers had a bit of commitment 😉

Polly
    Free Member

our school is open, but we do get a bit nervous when it snows, as a couple of years ago the staff that did make it in ended up stranded (our school is at the bottom of an ungritted hill) and another time Staff had to volunteer to sleep in school and care for some children overnight whose parents couldn’t get to them until the very early hours.

Nearly a third of our class didn’t show up today anyway… they can’t all have had flu! ;0)

miketually
    Free Member

As said above, it’s due to staff:student ratios. If you work in a office shuffling paper, the paper can look after itself until 11:00, or whenever the deskjockey turns up.

If your kid had to stand in the playground till their teacher showed up, you’d be pretty unghappy.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

The private school I work for is still open 🙁 I’ve got a 30min drive to work and managed it. We have about 150 boarding students so as such the school can’t close although there is enough on-site staff to keep them sorted.

Although we had about 300 kids with blue hands after massive snow ball fights at break time trying to write with pens afterwards!! Was great though to see the kids playing and I did think it would be cool for them to be at home and able to play in it all day (nothing about having the day off so I can go riding).

nicholasnismo
    Free Member

Well my youngest is at private school and it’s closed today.

Mind you it is out in the sticks a bit so no complaints just meant the missus had to have the day off as well.

Just found out just found out my company is sending us home at 4 today as more snow is expected……..happy days.

miketually
    Free Member

In the three lessons I’ve had today, I had 13/20, 9/21 and 8/20. Might as well have closed the college, to be honest, as there was no point teaching anything to less than half a class.

uplink
    Free Member

Why Mike? – I’m sure they benefited

miketually
    Free Member

We were introducing a new topic, after completing some coursework last Friday. I’d have just had to go through it all again next lesson.

dr_death
    Free Member

Why FFS, just tell the idle **** that couldn’t be arsed to turn up to catch up in their own time!

Everyone at my place turned up for work today and some of them live in the arse end of Northumberland, half way up a Cheviot (and some of them live in Darlo Mike and they made it to the toon so your students have no bleeding excuse). All this ‘we couldn’t get there’ bollocks from teachers and others is just laziness as far as I can see. I just looked at the **** weather forecast last night and got out of my pit earlier this morning – and lo, I was at **** work on time, even though the council had been ‘Caught by surprise’ and neglected to grit any of the roads.

Jeez it really winds me up, we get a couple of inches of snow and everyone uses it as an excuse to either not bother or skive off. Tell you what, me and my colleagues will all skive tomorrow, see how you like that!!

and breath……

Ed2001
    Free Member

Teachers don’t close schools, it’s their bosses- headteachers . I don’t think teachers are any lazier than any other group of workers its just that when a school closes it probably impacts on more people, in the form of parents. For many places of work a few staff down is an inconvenience a few staff off school means childrens safety can be at risk through lack of supervision. As I understand it Teachers must make every effort to get to work or they run the risk of not being paid and then in theory should offer themselves to the nearest school that is open.

djglover
    Free Member

I took the day off, so all you essential workers could have a trouble free commute to work today. you ungrateful feckers

boxelder

I made it to work at school on time – 16 mile commute, abandoned car and walked last half mile, to find school shut. I’m chuffed they shut.
    Whose kids are they again?
    Not one mention of their EDUCATION suffering – just the usual moans that the free ‘childcare’ service let you down.
    There’s a thread here somewhere about schools not allowing kids to go on holiday in term time……….. ??
    I came home (via two lifts) and emailed work to my sixth form. The younger ones can go and play in the (all too uncommon) snow, learning all sorts in the process.
    Sorry if its inconvenient because folk are self employed.
    To late to suggest:

…………recorks fuel and stands back………..

uplink
    Free Member

ust the usual moans that the free ‘childcare’ service let you down.

Free? – Have you seen how much tax/NI most of us have to pay?

pennine
    Free Member

Got home from work and my kids told me (gleefully) that school is closed again tomorrow. Apparently, all Bradford Met schools are closed on Tuesday. Thankfully, my 3 are old enough to look after themselves.

bruneep

Free childcare Its your job FFS!! Your choice of profession.

…and what would happen if I couldn’t get to work(fire & rescue service) and there was a fire at your home or you were involved in a RTC???????????

“sorry someone will be to deal with your request for assistance once the snow has stopped”

Ed2001
    Free Member

Get off your high horse bruneep you didnt seem to care too much about our house fires or RTC when you when on strike in 2002 and 2003.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘The working day & school closures’ is closed to new replies.