Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • The word 'B*tch' get's past the swear filter. Why?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A few years back my IT dept used to hate emails talking about

Wankie Colliery cum dividend

Double fail apparently?!? Bitches…. 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

For reference, here’s a complete list of words in the swear filter:

I’ve got about 6 so far can’t think how there could be so many four letter swear words.

I’m amazed *********** isn’t in there. Oh it is, not the complete list then?

aracer
    Free Member

It’s strange how there aren’t any swear words with more letters like **** in the list

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve got about 6 so far can’t think how there could be so many four letter swear words.

Exactly. Anyone with basic knowledge of expletive generous narratives knows that only 2 really count. The rest are just wussy words.

ThePinkster

So is it OK to use ‘dog’ instead of ‘bitch’?

I’m confused now…….. 😕

Drac

aracer
    Free Member

As in “that woman is a bit of a dog”? I’m not sure…

D0NK

Dear Drac, we at WebPlod work on behalf of Patrick Stewart, we find you are in breach of copyright for hotlinking images of him in unflattering situations, please cease and desist.
    Ta muchly,
    Xx

Edric64
    Free Member

My wife is my pit bitch on Sunday for the Newbury Road Club 12hr

tillydog
    Free Member

Can we get back to talking about having gay times on our bikes?

finbar
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK24DnWQaIk[/video]

scotroutes

This predates me but I believe it was simply due to overuse.

In that case, I would (again) like to nominate ad hominem and straw man for addition to the swear filter. Actually, add whataboutery too

Junkyard
    Free Member

so basically you want to be able to spout pish without anyone pointing it out 😉

Cougar

…and all 4 letters long. What are the chances.

That’s actually the way the swear filter works. Anything in the blacklist is transposed as “****” by default regardless of how many letters are in the original word / phrase, unless an actual substitution is specified (which I didn’t copy as the replacements wouldn’t be filtered).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Really?

Edit: Well **** me you’re **** right.

scotroutes

Dammit, I forgot logical fallacy

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ve posted one somewhere

DrJ

If this was a Hollywood movie, GrahamS and Ransos would fall into each other’s arms and kiss right about now.

So who would be who’s bitch?

mrsfry
    Free Member

Rather tragic bunch of replies to why ‘Bit*ch’ gets past the swear filter.
    Shocking as it may be, there are people who find the word disgusting when used to degrade woman.

So STWs views is that it isn’t that important? half the population (and a bit more) could be put off from joining a forum, paying for membership of buying a magazine because they see posts where the term is used to degrade women shakes head

So all this having women in the magazines, women writers photographers. Not being like all the other knuckle dragging 70’s mentality other cycling magazines and forums have when it comes to women is just for show!?

I can’t agree with having to moderate peoples posts myself becuase some silly folk want to use the term to slate women.

Rather disappointed with this as STW mods and members go to great lengths in defending religions, and minority’s against the haters that just post to hate.

I can’t condone the actions that STW chooses to take as to what it blocks in it’s filters and i will miss the Singletrack Magazine and Grit.CX as i love the story’s (love Grit.CX more) but it would be like slating Donald Trump for his views then booking a stay in a Trump hotel.

STW and Grit.CX can keep my payments, just don’t send me anymore magazines and cancel my membership.

Thank you

scotroutes

Don’t slam the door on your way out, there’s a love.

legend
    Free Member

**** me that **** can flounce!

km79
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w1TzLR2tYc[/video]

Northwind

I really don’t understand how you get from “it’s not in the swear filter” to “it’s approved for use and STW doesn’t take it seriously”. It’s as if the swear filter is the only moderation tool.

You can get banned for inappropriate use of words that aren’t in the filter. Right Scotroutes?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

10/10 flounce.

I’d give extra marks for miscomprehension, but I don’t want to go overboard.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m struggling with Poe’s law here, but just in case mrsfry has gone completely out of character:

because they see posts where the term is used to degrade women shakes head

I can’t agree with having to moderate peoples posts myself becuase some silly folk want to use the term to slate women.

Go on then…

scotroutes

You can even get banned for appropriate use of words that aren’t in the swear filter 😆

legend
    Free Member

You can get banned for inappropriate use of words that aren’t in the filter.

The dirty commies don’t like dialects either

bearnecessities

Shit bugger bollocks piss nob fart.

Edit: I am going to have a field day tomorrow.

Cougar

So STWs views is that it isn’t that important?

Hang on. Few things here.

1) It’s absolutely important, it’s critical even. The site wants to be as inclusive as it can be.

2) For context, I present my personal view / interpretation as one Moderator, I’m not the official STW spokesman. Nor is any other Moderator for that matter, we’re just the few daft enough to be vocal.

3) The swear filter is a blunt instrument, a last resort. Honestly, it’s not useful for this kind of filtering, that has to be done manually for reasons as I tried to explain. There are as you say “people who find the word disgusting when used to degrade woman,” I’m one of those people. But what happens when it’s not being used in that manner?

4) You don’t have to “moderate posts yourself,” but it’s incredibly helpful if you bring potentially offensive posts to our attention. We encourage everyone to do that then we can look at all complaints individually and personally. We don’t always see every problem post in our own browsing, and in any case a report add weight to what the userbase deems acceptable is or not. Policies and moderation can (and indeed, has) changed on the back of this.

Surely, the best way to tell what posts and comments people find unacceptable is to give those people a mechanism whereby they can tell us what they think is acceptable, rather than the Moderation team guessing and laying down the law?

5) FWIW, the moderation team aren’t all male.

6) I’d hate to see you leave through a misunderstanding. Please don’t.

DrJ

So, if I get this right, if I want to curse someone, I have to do so in a way that does not offend them? Riiiight.

grahamt1980

imnotverygood

if I get this right, if I want to curse someone,

No no no. This thread is about B*tch, not W*tch.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oooh! A flouncing! A flouncing!

Suspect it isn’t the first time the OP has left the forum…..

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Can I have the OP’s P if they don’t want it?

bearnecessities

That would be taking the P.

GrahamS

Shocking as it may be, there are people who find the word disgusting when used to degrade woman.

Ummm I don’t think any of us like that word when it is used to degrade women.

Because generally this isn’t a place where people like degrading women.

But that’s not a good reason to impose a blanket ban on a word that has many other meanings and, from what I’ve seen, nine times out of ten is being used with those other meanings.

In fact, outside of the skate park thread (where it was discussed specifically because the lad in the video said it), I can’t recall ever seeing a thread on here where it was used to degrade women. If I had then I’d fully expect the thread to be modded and I might well report it myself.

I see scotroutes responded to your flounce by using the word “love” as a little sarcy insult – so should “love” also be banned too even though it is mostly used innocently?

How about potentially insulting words like “tart”, “cow”, “dog”, “mare” etc?

Context is everything, which is why swear filters can only really catch unambiguous swear words and why mods and community policing are needed.

garage-dweller

To my mind is this not about different but equivalent insults for different genders? The gender informs the choice of word not the context or underlying meaning. So there is a need to moderate not ban/filter.

Taking a non insulting example.

Nigel Incubator-Jones is handsome
    Elizabeth Incubator-Jones is beautiful

Both mean they are attractive but the choice of adjective is gender based (it could have been Hunk / Beauty (sorry rubbish choice of specific words but it’s late and I’m a bit tired)).

Edit…I think there’s a difference between insult/describe antisocial conduct/behaviours and degrade based on or as a result of their gender and here context is vital in understanding which applies and where there is doubt I would expect the community to report/moderators to act.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Our female ‘dog’ died last year, which was a bitch.

Good thread this!

CountZero

In fact, outside of the skate park thread (where it was discussed specifically because the lad in the video said it), I can’t recall ever seeing a thread on here where it was used to degrade women. If I had then I’d fully expect the thread to be modded and I might well report it myself.

This.
    It’s just not a word that I recall seeing used as a derogatory term, although, while I spend more time than some might consider reasonable, I still don’t follow every thread.
    Which makes mrsfry’ rather spectacular flounce even more inexplicable, it just seems so completely out of character.

DrJ

G-d – good explanation

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘The word 'B*tch' get's past the swear filter. Why?’ is closed to new replies.