Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • The word 'B*tch' get's past the swear filter. Why?
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

Why does the word ‘Bitch’ get past the swear filter yet others don’t?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shit happens

5thElefant
    Free Member

It would be hard to discuss my bitch and dog without being able to say bitch.

Scunthorpe is more of a concern.

aracer
    Free Member

Give us examples?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Er because it’s not a swear word. I bet cow gets past it too, it does, the swines.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The made-up-word ‘get’s’ gets past the spelling and grammar filter too. Odd. Sorry, couldn’t resist 🙂

I suspect the serious answer is that, unlike most swear words, bitch has alternative (non-sweary) meanings.

ThePinkster

Used to do IT support for a major building company and the firewalls blocked any internet searches containing the word ‘cock’ which made it interesting for the plumbers….

scotroutes

It is if you’re the BBC (Pink – Just Like a Pill)

**** though (the Father Ted version) – can’t understand why that’s banned and frack (the Battlestar Galactica version ) isn’t.

A quick scan on Mumsnet shows this site up 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

I read that as….

😳

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Female dog, innit.

mrsfry
    Free Member

The word is used as a derogatory term for women. Would like to know STWs answer as to why it get’s a free pass to be continued to be used.

Writing the word ‘Female dog’ to describe your four legged pet aint that hard 🙄

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

If a man calls another man a bitch, is that derogatory to women?

Gary_M
    Free Member

The word is used as a derogatory term for women. Would like to know STWs answer as to why it get’s a free pass to be continued to be used.

As is cow, dog, pig, slut, whore, etc, etc none of which are banned.

Writing the word ‘Female dog’ to describe your four legged pet aint that hard

Do you realise how stupid that sounds?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think the term is trying really hard to be offended.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m assuming that I’m the cause of this post for using the term “Bitch Tits” – sorry for that Mrs Fry.

ThePinkster

Why should we stop using the word in it’s original sense just because at some time in the past it has got bastardised?

It’s hard to determine context in a text string.

scotroutes

Oops! Do you mean it’s been filed down a bit?

bruneep

The word BITCH troubles you Mrs fry yet you openly wanted to cut the limbs of a fellow forum member.

slowoldman

How about arse?

EDIT Yep, seems OK.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Don’t be a cock

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Oops! Do you mean it’s been filed down a bit?

*polite clap*

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Come on guys, I’m an uncouth braggart sometimes but Mrs Fry is kind of right – there are female members on here, so I should have used a different term for propecia induced gynecomastia. :mrgreen:

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Used to do IT support for a major building company

Jewsons ?

GrahamS

The word is used as a derogatory term for women.

Really?

As noted on the other long rambling thread that somehow became about the word “bitch” Bastard is used as a derogatory term for men and gets past. So does cock and nob and quite a few other male-specific swear words that I won’t test the swear filter or the mods patience with.

Or are you suggesting that women should get special treatment in the name of equality?

eddie11
    Free Member

Bastard rasp. Best tool name ever.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s hard to determine context in a text string.

You can’t tell if it’s being used to insult a woman, or to refer to a female dog?

Drac

The word is used as a derogatory term for women.

Only if used in that context.

soobalias
    Free Member

stop fishing for insults?

ransos
    Free Member

Only if used in that context.

Quite a regular occurrence on this forum, judging by the search I just did.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The word is can be used as a derogatory term for women

As can many others, and many words can be used as derogatory terms for lots of different types of people.

I completely agree bitch shouldn’t be used in that context, but derogatory terms shouldn’t be used towards anyone, doesn’t mean those words get filtered out. That’s just silly.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m assuming that I’m the cause of this post for using the term “Bitch Tits” – sorry for that Mrs Fry.

But that’s a term for gynecomastia, where men develop breast tissue that look like tits on a bitch. That’s a female dog in case anyone was wondering.

slowoldman

propecia induced gynecomastia

How come THAT got through? Looks really dirty.

GrahamS
    bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Quite a regular occurrence on this forum, judging by the search I just did.

Please show your working.

ransos
    Free Member

Looks like a non-problem to me!

You think 1900 hits is a non-problem because some other insults have been used more frequently?

I’m not sure you’ve thought this through.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

GrahamS

You think 1900 hits is a non-problem because some other insults have been used more frequently?

I just note that “bastard”, which is pretty much the male gender equivalent of “bitch”, is used more than three times as often here.

So just focussing on a word that can, in some contexts, be used as a derogatory word for a woman seems a bit bizarre.

prawny

I’d say bitch used as a derogatory term at a man is more offensive because your basically inferring that females are inferior, calling a woman a bitch is just being offensive, which on occasion is called for. I have no issue with a woman calling me a prick if I deserve it. I also have no issue anyone being called a prick.

Bunch of pricks 😛

BoardinBob

Some men can accurately be described as bastards

Some women can accurately be described as bitches

bigyinn
    Free Member

If Graham’s working is correct, can I get all upset about the use of bastard in relation to men?
    Im pretty sure that its not being used in the context of a child born from an unknown father, but in reference to an unpleasant male.

Or we could just stop looking for things to get mildly upset about for the sake of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘The word 'B*tch' get's past the swear filter. Why?’ is closed to new replies.