Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • The Wire…………first series
  • Alek
    Free Member

Just finished watching the first series box set. Superb viewing – seek I missed it when released.

Best scene was McNulty+Bunk looking into an old case when the only vocabulary used was 'F' this and 'MF' that…..class. Noticed my language is shocking now too 😕

Bring on the next FOUR!!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

It is truly brilliant Alek.

Season two is even better, I thought. It's Greek Tragedy staged in the streets and ports of Baltimore.

I'm currently on Season 4, though I've stalled a bit (not that it has faded, just been busy with other stuff)

Dr_Bakes

Just back from a night ride and watched Episode 1 of Series 2. We managed to get through Series 1 last week and this one is simering nicely like a dark soup liberally sprinkled with expletive croutons.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Only series on tv ive made a point of watching or recording each episode. Both dialouge and cinematography are awesome.

McNulty comes to the fore in series 5 – you just wait!

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I on season 3. loving it. Also check out THE SHIELD. IMO the best ever TV show

Watch the first episode and I promise you'll be hooked.

JxL
    Free Member

The Wire is my favourite TV show of all time.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Literally just finished watching the last episode of season 5, Sheeeeit, I want more, such a good show.

chewkw
    Free Member

I like they want they express dissatisfaction this way …

"SSSSShhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt".

d:-)

LsD
    Free Member

Oh, Indeed………….

Best thing I've seen in years, it is- Simon's books are well worth reading too.

And Andre Royo is a damnedly fine actor. 8)

patriot_matt
    Free Member

True dat, fo shore.

I keep referring to the missus as 'Shorty', and I must stop calling the dog a mother f*****,

Mackem

Excellent show, series 3 was my fqavourite, where they concentrated on the school kids and "Hamsterdam".

uplink
    Free Member

I thought the Wire was great – an outstanding bit of TV
    For me though – The Sopranos just has the edge

ji
    Free Member

Watch it through to the end. The final episode is amazing…

anagallis_arvensis

the wire is good but I liked deadwood more

Stoner
    Free Member

I havent even owned a TV for the last 3 or 4 years because the vast majority of TV output is such a waste of time and energy but on someone's recommendation watched the Wire on my PC on DVD and got hooked. Mrs S and I tore through 4 series in about 6 months (Thats a lot of TV time for us!)

Series 5 is sitting waiting for the winter nights when we'll watch it on DVD later this year.

I remember Mrs S first watching it about 2 or 3 episodes into the first series but was having trouble understanding the dialogue. By then though, I was fully fluent in Baltimore patois so was translating. Fo'sho.

I think I should be a linguist 😉

warton
    Free Member

I'm on season 2, but lovefilm seem to getting worse and worse, so I may end up buying the whole thing from amazon. after I watched the first season I found myself shouting "5 0, 5 0" again and again…

backhander
    Free Member

I adored the wire and recommend watching generation kill.
    As for the best TV show ever, I'd like to volunteer band of brothers. There's not many TV programmes that I'd describe as important; but I believe it's important that people watch that series.

noteeth
    Free Member

Series 5 is sitting waiting for the winter nights

In many ways, S5 is the weakest… but still fantastic, nonetheless. And as moving as it ever was.

"How do you get from here to the rest of the world?"

"I wish I knew"

Now that the run on BBC2 has finished, my evenings are that much emptier… and the last American TV had that kind of effect on me was Twin Peaks! But as one measure of its success, when the Tories recently (and ill-advisedly) boasted of taking control of the Met, the first thing I thought was "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit…." 😀

warton
    Free Member

I've got generation kill on order at lovefilm, I may well get band of brothers too, heard lots about it, but never got into it

noteeth
    Free Member

heard lots about it

The episode focusing on the medic (in Bastogne)… blimey.

st3v3
    Free Member

band of brothers is awesome – must get back to the wire, watched the first episode but found it a bit dull to be honest

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I finished watching series 5 this week. Gutted I've watched them all now. Not really a massive TV person, but this was truly an excellent show. looks like there wont ever be a series 6, nevermind.

alfabus
    Free Member

Series 4 was the best, 5 disappointed me a bit.

Just started watching Spiral on telly (bbc4?)… supposed to be like a French version of the Wire. Only watched one episode (season 2 ep 1), but so far so good!

Dave

Mackem

The same people have done another show called "The corner" which focuses on the drug dealers rather than the police. Havent seen it yet but apparently it's very grim.

binners

I watched the first 4, then kept series 5 for a bit. Rationing myself like an addict.

Utter unbridled genious. I've got Generation Kill lined up next

Stoner
    Free Member

does anyone know whether BBC4 will finish off the last 3 episodes of the Swedish Wallander?

Ive been enjoying it on the iPlayer but theyve stopped at episode ten grrrrrr.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I've watched a few episodes of the corner – disapointing to be honest. Familiar settings and a lot of the same actors, but it seemed a lot more contrived (it has fake documentary scenes with actors talking to the camera)

It feels like a warm up for the wire

noteeth
    Free Member

It feels like a warm up for the wire

It was, iirc.

amosridl
    Free Member

Loved The Wire. Truly great tv.

Generation Kill was equally as impressive and immersive.

I'm off for a "re-up" back in 5.

ART

Only 4 episodes of the Wire season 5 left to watch… we are eeking it out cause there is nothing else that comes close to this that is worth watching. Ooh although Spiral was not bad the other night – may look up the first series.

andy_hamgreen

also just finished the last episode of Series 5 as supplied by BBC2 (thank you the beeb!) – going to be hard to fill the evening slot after having watched all five series in a row……excellent stuff – hopefully some of the suggestions above will help – thanks!

AB
    Free Member

So it seems that Spiral is where to go next – assuming you've seen the rest of Simon's stuff?

fennesz
    Free Member

As mentioned, Generation Kill is excellent. Also check out Mad Men – another slow burner.

nicko74

That crime scene scene was definitely the best part of Season 1; series 2 to me was more of a slow burner, I think. Still epic, though, with some fantastic moments ("the bunk doesn't float"). I'm currently on season 3, which is looking pretty interesting, I hafta say.

Knocko!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yes, I feel a definite loss now it's finished 🙁 I still prefer to watch scheduled programmes rather than recordings…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘The Wire…………first series’ is closed to new replies.