Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • The winter hack bike thread…
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Post up your winter hack bikes!

When its 100% gloop out there I fallback to my Schwinn Moab, bought in circa 1995, cost me around £400, probably looks a bit dated by todays standards, but still puts a smile on my face 🙂

I’ll try and get a recent pic, but it now has Kona On One rigid front fork and a shorter stem/wider bars.

Just found the original advert for added LOL

Anymore winter hacks?

will
    Free Member

Road bike count?

davidjey
    Free Member

Novel approach to reducing chain wear there…

letmetalktomark

Genesis Fortitude.

Go to bike for winter.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe out training with the guru?

Edit: Will, liking the saddle to bar height differential 🙂

Double edit: The winter road bike…

soma_rich
    Free Member

SS CX great fun for the New Forest

Mbnut
    Free Member

Love the ‘Hammer’ for winter and alpine use.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

david jey – Member

I heard chainless singlespeed flows better on the downhill, with enough momentum to get up the other side 😆 Some Guru chap told me its the new trend for 2014

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@mbnut that is some serious gloop!

quite a bit of road bike love for the winter and that fortitude is great too 8)

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

62” SS for CX, 69” fixed for winter clubruns, just waiting for a few canti bits and a seatclamp.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I only have 1 mtb

I do have a Langster Monaco fitted with raceblades to save the Carbon roadbike from winter.
    But this winter I shall be mostly riding my Kona MinUte cargo bike

Northwind

I can’t decide if chainless singlespeed is more or less beardy than regular singlespeed. It’s certainly not much worse 🙂

When I want an extra bike, I just buy one, I don’t make up excuses for my N+1 and therefore I don’t have a winter-specific bike, I just have bikes.

D0NK

day one disc for xc commuting all year round so I guess that’ll be my “winter hack bike”. Otherwise I think it’ll be a 50/50 mix between my recently resurrected ’03 heckler and c456 SS. Heckler drivechain is on it’s last legs, pivot bearings are cheap and coil shock refuses to die so shouldn’t cost much. I do like SSing but after mincing around in the mud the last umpteen winters I’m thinking of padding up and going for it this winter. Embrace the slideyness.

Shreddin the max gnar innit.

Saccades
    Free Member

5 years old in Novemenber – cup and cones are shot due to being ignored but it’s a brilliant bike for shite weather, although not really a hackbike as it was built with winter in mind.

core

I’m in the middle of an inbred winter/hack build, will try to put some pics up

hooli

The same as my summer hack, just gets hosed off and chain oiled every now and then.

camo16
    Free Member

That a comfy ride, umop3pisdn? You must have buns of steel. 😉

DanW
    Free Member

When I want an extra bike, I just buy one, I don’t make up excuses for my N+1 and therefore I don’t have a winter-specific bike, I just have bikes.

Definitely. The thought of building and maintaining an additional bike just because it is a bit muddy seems like false economy. The cost of a few chains and cassettes is much less than building up a new bike. However if you want a rigid SS or whatever just buy it and admit you just like the change 😀

Personally, I have invested in one bike that suits my riding perfectly and would want to compromise anything in function/ performance just because it has got a bit muddier. Mountain bikes are meant for riding and being abused whether it is a fancy carbon or heavy, reliable steel frame 😀

jameso

I’m getting on a bit so now subscribe to the ‘no such thing as a winter bike’ idea. My road bike always has guards and lights fitted and my main MTB is a rigid SS that has different tyres at different times of year.

oldgit
    Free Member

Without guards and lights

devs
    Free Member

accu
    Free Member

my winter bike…first gen. preorder frame..still lots of fun..

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ll have you knowing, I am 2011, chainless dh singlespeed champion. 😀
    Waves willy.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks good will, do they still make a single speed? I want one as a winter bike! Currently my CAAD8 is nackered so its my winter bike to run into the ground til I can afford new wheels if/when the weather gets better again.

Alpha1653

This was meant to become a winter hack bike but turned out a bit nicer than expected! First ride out was a very wet welsh coast to coast and it’s now being used as a commuter.

eThirteen chain guide now fitted with exotic carbon forks to be cut and fitted this weekend. Not bad for a 16 year old frame!

Vortexracing

My MTB

P1050024 by eastham_david, on Flickr

my road bike

P1040343 by eastham_david, on Flickr

cp

Winter mtb, somewhat less ‘bodged hack’ than it used to be, now it’s got some nice bits on it but all designed to last well in crappy weather – on one stainless chainring, sqaure taper bb, hope xc hubs, sintered pads etc…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The standard Ribble Tank.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

keep em coming! some great winter scenic background too :mrgreen:

Northwind
    plus-one

Foul weather big mile machine

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Northwind I want some snow now.. what a great vista!

cp

How do you find that back light plus one?

singlespeedstu

Depending on what mood i’m in.
    This.

2013_0323quarterhorse0026 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Or this.

2013_0414Fatback0008 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

slackalice
    Free Member

Looking forward to my winter riding… I’m a lucky boy 🙂

takisawa2

No winter bike here.
    It’s just a fork change these days.

IMAG0002 by pten2106, on Flickr

Lifer
    Free Member

Winter bike

Summer bike

Pfffffffffft

shermer75
    Free Member

plus-one

All rosy on the rear light front cp 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The winter hack bike thread…’ is closed to new replies.