• This topic has 69 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by cb200.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • The Why-the-hell-did-you-buy-me-that? thread.
  • alpin
    Free Member

It’s not like I receive a lot of presents. This year I received two; a box of beers (fair enough) and a TwistFit.

It annoys me. Never asked for anything. Explicitly said buy us nothing (we’re currently in the process of selling off all our possessions), yet the GF gets a massive book (never going to be read, she doesn’t read much if at all) and I a TwistFit. Never going to be used. I’ve got various bands for that…

Just the pointless consumerism and wasted money annoys TF out of me.

Want to swap?

grum
    Free Member

#firstworldproblems

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

A bottle of Champagne to celebrate 4 months since I stopped drinking alcohol.

To be fair, she did say it was a present for everyone else who had supported me but it was still the only thing she gave me

Tom-B
    Free Member

We’re still living in a motorhome currently whilst doing a barn conversion….I stressed time and time again, no gifts as we’ve got 0 storage.

My mum got my girlfriend a **** massive build your own gingerbread campervan ffs! We’ve got an actual one, we dont need a gingerbread one!!

alpin
    Free Member

we dont need a gingerbread one!!

I don’t either, but I’ll swap.

ffati
    Free Member

I got a jumprr off the mother in law, the same jumper i got 2 years ago and never wore so put it in the charity shop when i was clearing out the other week

easily
    Free Member

5 pairs of Krusty the Clown socks. I’ve already planned who I can pass them on to.

singletrackmind

You know those metal mugs , the one that burn the backs of your fingers as they transmit heat really rather well. Yep , one of those. With my name on it. just in case I forget

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Why don’t you just I’ve them back?

Especially the duplicate jumper person.

nickc

It annoys me

It’s a gift. Some one cares enough to go a spend money on you, presumably as a token to show how much regard they hold you in.

You can choose how to react to that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I got a jumprr off the mother in law, the same jumper i got 2 years ago and never wore so put it in the charity shop when i was clearing out the other week

Is it just me imagining his mother in law seeing the same jumper at the charity shop and thinking…. Perfect for ffati……

tthew

I had to look up what a twistfit was. I used to quite like playing with them when I was a little lad. 😁

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Waste of time thread give back if you don’t need or want.

singletrackmind

Because thats really rude , maybe .

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You could keep them and re-gift to someone else? Or put them into the charity shop?

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Singletrackmind I would of thought that was just being honest.

Drac

Everything I got will be used or consumed.

clubby

It’s a gift. Some one cares enough to go a spend money on you, presumably as a token to show how much regard they hold you in.

Or more likely, someone just picks up any old crap with no thought put into it, just because they feel they have to.

Few years back I got SIX of the same Costa gift sets. FIL and partner are the worst for it. Two years ago I got a plastic mini table top drum kit. Just screamed of “that’ll do”. Don’t even get me started on the amount of novelty cycling related garbage I’ve had over the years.

alpin
    Free Member

You can choose how to react to that.

I know it makes me look a berk, so I’ll bite my tongue and express the fact I have all I need/want.

Don’t even get me started on the amount of novelty cycling related garbage I’ve had over the years

Yup… The amount of crap tyre levers, novelty bike tools and other tat over the years. Most of it ends up at the local bike kitchen.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

All the bike crap you will never use is amazing gifts for the kids on their new bikes you see riding around at the moment.

Great bike, did Father Christmas get you that? Here, have some remote control lights and indicators for it held in place with flimsy elastic bands. No use at all to me but you are 6 and will think they are fantastic*

*possibly worth checking with their responsible adult before just approaching a 6 year old in the park and offering them presents

Also good for work colleagues who get themselves bikes for their New Year ambition to ride everywhere but only need kit that will last a few weeks until they give up.

“Here Martin, have some cycling glove/mitten things for the commute to work. As mittens you have no control of your bike but the ends flip back to expose your fingers which then freeze why you are riding along. No, honestly, keep them.”

rone

You can choose how to react to

Agreed. Make them feel good about it.

Then send to charity shop when they’re not looking if that bothered.

monkeyboyjc

Does 2bottles of wine and a bottle of whiskey count?

I don’t drink and haven’t for around 8yrs – all from close family members too, who know I don’t drink…..

crispyrice

I bet there is a thread somewhere called miserable ungrateful ****…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Does 2bottles of wine and a bottle of whiskey count?

I don’t drink and haven’t for around 8yrs – all from close family members too, who know I don’t drink…

Oh great, I thought it was a novelty for this year and no-one would be so thoughtless or dumb to do it again 🙁

thepodge
    Free Member

Amongst other stuff my wife gave me a book and before I’d even opened it she said “I don’t think you’ll like it”.

jimmy

Is it just me imagining his mother in law seeing the same jumper at the charity shop and thinking…. Perfect for ffati……

Was about to say the same! Hopefully to troll him as well.

alanl
    Free Member

A ‘The Proclaimers’ CD.
    Why did you buy me this?
    ‘Because they are Scottish’.
    It wont be coming out of its plastic wrapper.

sirromj

Everything I got will be used or consumed.

Before or after it was given to you?

My 5yo boy received a baby crocodile head.

qwerty
    Free Member

I got given 3 large bottles of Stella Artois for my birthday, just before Christmas. I don’t like Stella so I told my brother in law this & gave them to him as a Christmas gift when he dropped off the mother in law for Christmas, along with a bunch of pressies for us. He & his wife had got me 1 large bottle of Stella Artois…

trail_rat
    Free Member

got given 3 large bottles of Stella Artois for my birthday, just before Christmas. I don’t like Stella so I told my brother in law this & gave them to him as a Christmas gift when he dropped off the mother in law for Christmas, along with a bunch of pressies for us. He & his wife had got me 1 large bottle of Stella Artois…

The real question is….does the brother in law have 2 large bottles or 4 large bottles now ?

sillyoldman

The booze gifts for those that are known to not booze are unthinkably mean.

roger_mellie

I thought everyone knew that Laphroaig is the devil’s cough syrup, but I didn’t have the heart to tell Mrs Mellie as I unwrapped it. I’ll probably end up decanting something more palatable into the bottle. But then she’ll think I like it and I’ll get another next Christmas… 😄

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ll have the Laphroaig! Pretty sure I like it.

Try a drop of water in it. Literally a drop, or two. Don’t drown it.

The booze gifts for those that are known to not booze are unthinkably mean.

Quite. Unless it’s a rare bottle for putting away then what’s the point?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Coke works really well in Laphroaig

CountZero

I was given a hardcover copy of Robert Macfarlane’s book ‘Underland’, by my sister-in-law. She gave me a copy of the same book last year. That one I gave to a mate for his birthday as I’d bought a copy that was signed by the author when it came out.
    I hope she’s kept the receipt, I’m sure there’s a bunch of books it could be exchanged for, as I love books.         Difficult call when it’s someone who you’re really close to and fond of…😕

I had another book from friends which I was rather hoping they’d get me, because they’re good friends with the artist who illustrated it, Jackie Morris, who’s signed it; It’s also signed by the author, Robert Macfarlane!

Its called ‘The Lost Spells’, and it’s continuing the theme of their first book, ‘The Lost Words’, and there’s been musical tie-ins as well.

Tom-B
    Free Member

@clubby I got that plastic mini drum kit a few years ago ffs….total landfill!

My ex wife once bought me a copy of the book that I was 2/3 of the way through reading.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

MiL buys random presents all year, gradually filling up the spare room. Literally hundreds upon hundreds of them, with no plan as to who to give them to. Then wraps them and divvies them out to whoever. No thought process behind it except for “must buy stuff, cannot resist…”.
    Rolson tyre lever set, magnifying plastic book mark, magnetic bookmarks, little bottles of showr gel, etc etc. The consumerism and amount of single use plastics is shocking. I wonder whether one day people will look back at that in the same way as buying somebody 200 fags would be seen these days.
    Merry Christmas though, ehh.

crazy-legs

My ex wife once bought me a copy of the book that I was 2/3 of the way through reading.

My Dad bought me a book I’d already got on Kindle. It’s very much related to this comment from earlier:

Don’t even get me started on the amount of novelty cycling related garbage I’ve had over the years

Oh it’s a cycling book, we’ll get him that cos he likes cycling… And maybe these nice tyre levers with it.

tjagain

MY sister and I have just about managed to stop the rest of the family from giving pointless tat.  Over the years much that I have been given ends up in the charity shop – usually untouched.

Numerous kitchen gadgets, strange joke toys etc.  Why?

Speshpaul

“The booze gifts for those that are known to not booze are unthinkably mean.”
    Its the thought that counts

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘The Why-the-hell-did-you-buy-me-that? thread.’ is closed to new replies.