Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • The white man in that photo
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fascinating. And perhaps not what you were expecting from the title.

Definitely one of those ‘I did not know that ‘ moments.

robdob
    Free Member

That was a great read, really glad I read it. Thanks.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Fascinating, thanks.

I confess though that it came with a small side-order of shame that I didn’t know a fat lot about the whole incident. Without going all Tumblr, I just footnote that I’ve just read about an important bit of what might usefully be termed “black history” because someone pointed out that there was a white man in it.

🙂

racefaceec90

that was very interesting. i didn’t really know much about that photo,other than the anti racism/black power salute.

peter norman definitely was a remarkable and brave man for standing up for his beliefs against major racism,prejudice and vitriol.

stumpy01

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. Seen the photo, but didn’t know the story/context. Very moving.

cheviots
    Free Member

Remarkable strength but what a price he paid!

Daffy

Thanks for that, remarkable story.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thanks, sent to an Australian friend who never heard of him and hopefully spread the word/story of this mans sacrifice.

Pigface
    Free Member

Great story, top work for sharing

fadda

Thanks, CFH – educational, for a privileged, ignorant white bloke…

Andy

Yeah amazing story and I didn’t know until I read that! And surprising that only relatively recently the attitudes of the Aussi govt changed…

Sandwich

Todays bit of learning. Thanks CFH

Coyote
    Free Member

Thanks for the share. Just put it on Faceache as I think it’s a story more people need to be aware of. Can’t believe that the Australian government were still unforgiving until so recently. Shame on them!

MoreCashThanDash

Wow! I had no idea. Will show this to my son tonight.

Think there is a space on that statue that needs filling?

ads678

Great read that. Very uplifting and sad at the same time. I knew of the black power story but never even noticed the ‘white guy’.

The bit at the end nearly brought me to tears, what a selfless bloke.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Think there is a space on that statue that needs filling?

Read the footnotes.

ads678

Reckon they should add a plinth with his story on it, or at least his name to the empty step.

toby1

Cool story bro!

But in the non-sarcastic way, that was actually very interesting.

I hope his record stands for 100+ years so this story can be remembered.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Every day is a school day – cheers

martymac

wow, like many, i had seen the photo, but im ashamed to say i had never thought of the white guy in it.
    great read, thanks for sharing.

fasthaggis

Fantastic story.
    What a price to pay for being a quiet hero.
    Thanks for posting that CFH.

edlong
    Free Member

Very timely Flashy – a good reminder (among other things) that bullying isn’t just something that kids do to each other in the playground (it’s anti-bullying week, don’tcha know?), and a powerful example of a choice we can all make. In memory of someone who very much decided not to be a bystander, in the most literal way I can imagine, I’ll just leave this here…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agLrVvCUkzI[/video]

lunge

Great read that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

gypsumfantastic – Member
    Every day is a school day – cheers

Indeed.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Great post! My days reflection……
    I saw the televised black power salute but didn’t realise the added dimension. What a brave, selfless man.

oldnpastit

That is pretty amazing.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Thank you for that. I never knew this story and I am sure glad I do now. He is a true hero IMHO.

scotroutes

I guessed the photo from the post title. Agree that it’s terrible he has never been recognised for his part.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

Knew that story and it should be wider known

epicyclo

Many people don’t realise how bad racism was in Australia.

When I got there in the 1970s, many Aborigines in Queensland were restricted to reserves and had to have a permission to be out of it – usually granted only if it was for work eg on a cattle station. They were also paid a fraction of the white wage, and most of the wage was deducted and paid to the Dept of Aboriginal and Island Affairs.

The last massacre was not that far in the past then, about 50 years.

Peter Norman’s moral courage was of a high order and he paid a high price.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

just shows what a deep forward thinking man he was even down to the detail of the plinth. I think the equality movement is more than just race but it is the one with the loudest voice.
    Peter Norman, I salute you

avdave2

San Jose State University need to update their statue I think, it would be a fitting tribute and bring the whole story to a new audience.

MSP

The statue has been covered in a footnote

There has been a great deal of discussion about the article since then, and one of the themes that emerged concerned the statue in San Jose (pictured in the article). In the statue the spot where Peter Norman stood is empty, prompting many to call for him to be added. It transpires that this was not something Norman wanted. In an interview on Democracy Now, John Carlos explains that Norman wanted his spot empty so that anyone visiting the statue could stand on it and have their photo taken on the plinth, standing in solidarity with Smith and Carlos, as he had done. Peter Norman, we salute you.

ourmaninthenorth

Excellent share, CFH.

I’ve learned a lot from that. Most of all that selflessness is one of the great attributes for which we should all reach just a little bit more.

zilog6128

Great read, never heard that story. What a bloke – wonder if he had any idea just what he was letting himself in for. Had no idea Australians were such arseholes.

edlong
    Free Member

Had no idea Australians were such arseholes.

How fabulous that the learning you’ve taken from that story is to label and generalise about a whole nation like that. Did you spot the bit about Peter Norman being Australian? Yep, he was a total arsehole… 🙄

igm

The struggle for equality always needs people from both “sides” – otherwise there can be no equality.

Chapeau, as some on here sometimes say.

richmars

Great read. I remember the fuss when it happened, but not the story posted above.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What an amazing story, all the more so that, when things were bad, he had the chance to back down but stood by his principles. Hero, no question

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘The white man in that photo’ is closed to new replies.