Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • The what do people look like thread….
  • matt_outandabout

Following @stwhannah expectation of what I look like, compared to the reality

So, here’s the game.

1. Like Hannah, make a light hearted and positive prediction of someone you’ve not met from STW. Make sure to tag them in with @ in front of their username.
    2. The tagged in user pops by to ‘correct’ the prediction.
    3. Amusement ensues.

scotroutes

True story…

Not long after I moved to Aviemore a Southern-based member of the Bearbones forum contacted me to see if I fancied a night out bivvying near to me as he was up here on holiday with family and had arranged a free night. Lets call him Taylor. We set off down Glen Feshie and, just as we passed the bothy, the rain came on. After a bit of a confab we decided just to stay there for the night. There was no one else in the bothy.

About 7:30 we heard voices, they got closer and three girls/young women came in. They’d walked from the end of the public road in the dark. We all got chatting over food and drink and I asked where they were from. One of them turned out to be based at a local outdoor education centre, the other two were just visiting the area. As we chatted, I realised than @matt_outandabout worked for the same organisation and asked if she knew him. “Yes” she said. As we chatted about him, one of her friends chimed in with “hang on, I think I know him too”. Turns out she did. The chat carried on a bit longer and then Taylor says “is that Matt XXXXXXXXXX from XXXXXXXXXX. And it was.

Yep, four folk in a room of five all knew Matt without all knowing we all knew Matt 🙂

matt_outandabout

🙈

desperatebicycle

Ok then seeing as I see the name Scotroutes on a lot of threads and have an image in my mind when I see the name…
    Wirey, about 5’8”, ginger or strawberry blond shortish hair. Weathered, bit like the farmer chap from Countryfile I suppose, but smaller 😊

tjagain

@sadexpunk

I originally read their name as Sadie Spunk which is a good punk name – but I doubt they look like Poly Styrenes sister which is how I imagine them

@perchypanther
      another misread of the name as preachy panther so a big cat in a dog collar

scotroutes

@desperatebicycle – Close, but…. Slightly overweight, 5’7″, brown but now definitely greying short hair. Currently sporting my winter beard (which will come off when we return to British Shaving Time).

The photo in my STW profile..

TBH, I don’t think I have a mental image of anyone I’ve not met. I think it’s just a lack of imagination on my part. TBF, I can barely remember the names of folk I’ve actually met when I see them.

desperatebicycle

Blimey, pretty close, but without the green farming gear 😁

Cougar

#ImNotRacistBut you lot all look the same to me, in my head.

It’s kinda weird, with a few notable exceptions I don’t really have a mental image of many posters (and what I do is probably way off). What I do find that sticks though is voices, the people I’ve met from STW I then tend to read posts in their voices.

That thing where you watch a film and go “ooh, what’s she been in before?” it’s always the voice that triggers for me. Faces, I’m useless. I went to the vet a little while ago, I was explaining that I’d visited previously with the other cat; the vet replied that it was her I saw last time, she’d remembered me and I wouldn’t have recognised her if my life depended on it.

Cougar

… we’re probably overdue a mugshot thread. 😁

ahsat

I honestly now can’t remember their user name (so sorry!) but I opened the door about a year ago to a bloke campaigning for Labour. We chatted for a bit, and he said ‘Sorry, really odd question, but do you know something called singletrack world? I think I recognise you…I’m xxx’. Truly bizarre!

jamj1974

Whenever I see a post from ‘Oscillate Wildly’ I think of indie students I encountered at or just before I went to university. About 5’ 10”, thin and wearing DM’s and a dark crew neck.

scotroutes

I honestly now can’t remember their user name (so sorry!) but I opened the door about a year ago to a bloke campaigning for Labour. We chatted for a bit, and he said ‘Sorry, really odd question, but do you know something called singletrack world? I think I recognise you…I’m xxx’. Truly bizarre!

I’ve told this one before, but…

I was in a cafe in Aviemore and a couple walked in, then sat a couple of tables away. I was pretty sure I recognised the guy from STW and eventually plucked up the courage to ask – loudly enough that most of the cafe could hear – “are you peterfile”?

rOcKeTdOg

Hannah knows what I look like and still stayed on the video link for nearly an hour!
    https://spotify.link/jNf9UjI1dyb

CountZero

I’m useless at trying to imagine what people might look like, tbh; I just don’t have that sort of imagination. I was at work once and one of the drivers dropping off a car asked me if I was CZ from STW.  I had previously mentioned where I worked, but there were several people working arrivals at the time.

thols2

I just imagine that everyone on here looks like John Lydon.

duncancallum

I’m getting closer to that every day

#buttershagger

dyna-ti

I have this mind pic of Cougar.

99% of STW

😛

Cougar

I’m not quite that grey yet, and a skinny wretch.

The rest is fairly on point though. I’m probably not that well dressed. I’d have had socks on, and the very idea of button-down shirts…!

Northwind

One time I was fiddling with the gears on a new bike at glentress, and this guy passed me, suddenly the STW senses tingled and I thought, that’s GW. No idea why, think the only clue was he’d taken his helmet off for climbing. Later that day he messaged me and said, did I pass you at glentress today? And I’ve no idea how he knew, either. Pretty weird!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I was in a cafe in Aviemore and a couple walked in, then sat a couple of tables away. I was pretty sure I recognised the guy from STW and eventually plucked up the courage to ask – loudly enough that most of the cafe could hear – “are you peterfile”?

I believe the next post then pointed out it was actually his other half you recognised…

BoardinBob

I believe the next post then pointed out it was actually his other half you recognised…

😂

I would recognise her if I saw her on the street

nbt

Other way round but just a few days ago while sitting on an 8 man ski lift in Flaine with Mrs NBT and just one other random couple, the better half of the other couple turned to me and asked if i was Julian from STW.

Turns out it was @sprootlet who i knew was in the area and vice versa, but we hadn’t got round to arranging to meet as Mrs NBT was not feeling great. I and guessing the snowheads stickers on my helmet may have helped, or maybe it was just a lucky guess…

ahsat

Hannah did shout out in the middle of Kendal base camp last year ‘that’s Tasha’! We’d never met but with enough IG interactions, plus I’m one of the few woman, means I’m probably recognisable. Having ridden with Amanda the month before on the Reyt Good ride in this months issue, p20 got all ‘Ooh check you out knowing all the singletrack staff’ 😂😂😂

ton

i always imagine Captain Flash to look like the british actor Simon MacCorkindale, in his 40’s.
    cool and suave and well turned out.

dudeofdoom

@perchypanther another misread of the name as preachy panther so a big cat in a dog collar

TBH I always misread it as Peachy Panther, I’ve never really imaginated an image other than some sort of pink panther and kept away from the peachy part.

I suppose there’s an idea for stw name stickers for the bikes 🙂

fasthaggis

I used to look like the stunt double for Charlie from Casualty,at the moment, with the winter beard,I have a couple of weeks left doing my Harold Shipman impression 😆 🤣

arrpee
    Free Member

😂

I would recognise her if I saw her on the street

I reckon I could draw her from memory.

BoardinBob

😆

Kryton57

Before I met AA I imagined him as Welsh Eddie Hitler. I wasn’t far off.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I’ve met matt_oab at Laggan (at a Cotic demo).

I don’t have an interesting/amusing anecdote associated with this as it was in the dim and distant past (i.e. pre-COVID) and I’ve absolutely no recollection of how we established identities… al age, disna come itsel.

In my minds eye I think I might look like Warren Ellis (the Bad Seed) but in reality I’m a (FF) mix of St Nicholas (i.e. Sunty), Bill Bailey and Theodore Kandinsky (the Unabomber)…

Harry_the_Spider

I imagine that Binners, Cougar, TJ, DazH, Duncancallum, Chipps, RustySpanners and STWHannah all look like Henry Cavill, not unlike myself.

Ton looks like Henry Cavill too, but taller.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Just imagine any white, middle aged man with thinning hair (clipped to a grade 2) in a flannel shirt. You’ve probably got most of the forum covered.

tjagain

*flick luxurious locks*

desperatebicycle

*flicks er, Ion t-shirt*

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

When I read a certain someone has posted and I’m feeling a bit silly…

redmex
    Free Member

white, middle aged man with thinning hair (clipped to a grade 2) in a flannel shirt. You’ve probably got most of the

Black t-shirt , jeans with tan DeWalt steel toe caps and a full head of hair actionman length no satellite dish on top and almost forgot Oakley Crosslinks

anagallis_arvensis

Before I met AA I imagined him as Welsh Eddie Hitler. I wasn’t far off.

I can’t still recall the horror on you face as I handed you a beer!! What the night before a race 😄😄😄

jamj1974

I understand I look like this…

Gruhttps://static.miraheze.org/greatcharacterswiki/b/ba/Gru.jpg

I want to point out that true to STW convention.

– I am middle-aged
    – Male
    – Wear selvedge denim jeans
    – Drink coffee made with an Aeropress

docrobster
    Free Member

Everywhere I go people tell me I look like Dave Gilmour. Last place this happened was in the Coventry music museum. Now I’ve never been in to the Floyd so had to look him up on the internet the first time this happened. Turns out it’s true.
    I always thought I looked more like Jason Donovan but you can’t always get what you want as they say.

funkmasterp

Whenever I meet someone out on the trails I wonder if they’re on here. Never asked in case they’ve never heard of STW and I end up coming across a bit unhinged. We need a secret code word or expression for such situations.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.