Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The what bike do I need/what should I buy question
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

I have been trying to decide on a new bike for ages (hence previous threads) but I keep stalling as I really don’t know what kind of bike would suit my riding.

I currently have a Saracen Mantra and rather spend the money on upgrades (gears, dropper, tyres etc etc) I am in a position to upgrade.

I keep going between HT and FS and then over thinking things.

My riding in mainly bridle ways, red routes with plenty of roots and rocks along the way, long open fields, fast flowing downhills and pretty long climbs. I do not do any tricks, jumps (well tiny ones on small bumps lol) and do not attend (or intend to) go to any trail centres.
    The bike routes over the south downs are pretty varied – mostly red but the odd bit of black that I have not ventured on.

So my question is… FS or HT and then what kind of travel? I am thinking that anything between 120mm and 140mm is about right and anything over is overkill (especially on the climbs.

As mentioned on a FS thread, max budget is £1600.

HT in consideration are the Bird Zero TR, Whyte 905 or seeing what the new Mantra is like.
    FS in consideration are Trek Fuel, Specialized Camber and Giant Trance.

I know everyone is different and the split between HT and FS will be apparent! FS sounds good for comfort (I’m getting older) but I do enjoy my HT and low maintenance (as this is not my strong point).

stevied
    Free Member

The obvious answer is to ride a few different bikes and see if any work for you. Try and find a shop that has demo bikes or see if any of the manufacturers have demo days in your area.

TiRed

Short travel FS such as a Giant Anthem. Buy the bike for the riding you do, not the riding you think you might want to do. When the bike is holding you back, upgrade. That’s my philosophy. Trance is a nice bike (teen1 has one), but it is too much bike for the riding I tend to do, which is not dissimilar to you (i.e., middle age man can’t jump!)

jayx2a
    Free Member

Sound advice. I’m not going to be doing anymore than I do know. I really enjoy being out in the forest and speeding over the south downs!

Interesting about the Anthem – was looking at the 2016 ‘2’ version in giant the other day as it has £500 off but wasnt sure if 100mm was enough.

Tried out a Trek Fuel EX7 (2016) which was on offer at £1200 so dropper could also be bought). Seemed pretty good, but was only in the shop!

nickc

Giant Anthem would be my choice. I wouldn’t worry too much about extra maintenance TBH, keep your bike in good order and it won’t need anything more than bearings and bushes replaced and a shock service, and Giant have lots of dealers who will look after that sort of thing for you. All the rest is just the same

FS will let you ride further in more comfort and better grip, and more fun. sometimes HT are a bit better at climbing but it’ll be seconds…and a well set up FS will be loads of fun on the DH sections.

nickc

The Advanced has a carbon front frame, whereas the Anthem is all Aluminium, Advanced will be a couple hundred grammes lighter if that bothers you

For £80 I’d get the carbon version TBH (Giant make really good carbon frames)

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

it made me chuckle the other day people recommending you the 150mm suspensions, imho the max you need is 120mm, i’ve ridden reds/blacks singletrack around hebden bridge / peak district etc on 100mm and been just fine, (no jumping),

i have various bikes i like them all (29er lefty, 120 fs trail, 150mm all mountain/enduro ?? (150mm pike), if i was to chose one i’d probably go full suspension, and 650b/27.5 wheels, with the 120mm-130mm travel the reason more fun, 29 wheels for me are faster but just dont feel as fast. and it goes uphill well as lighter.

your list is spot is now spot on, go and ride a few, you’ll soon know what you like and dislike. my mate swears by his whyte 905, i’ve ridden it, wasnt blown away.

try to get a bike with the revelation 130mm or yaris fork, for that price range.

jayx2a
    Free Member

The Camber and Trek both have the Revelation. I need to ride the Trek rather than just sit on it lol!

There are specialized and giant dealers near enough to go try.

The Birds are too far away to try – but the Zero gets pretty good feedback! Just depends on price once specced up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would say Anthem too, but maybe the one with 120 fork. I have a 26″ with 100mm and there are times where the geometry with 100mm can send you too far over the front.

The back end on an Anthem is fantastic and feels way more than 100mm of travel.

Oh they climb blooming well too.

Edit: it’s the Anthem SX I would be looking at

br
    Free Member

I’d go for a 29er FS, perfect for the South Downs.

And don’t think that it won’t be good enough for elsewhere, mine (Camber evo) will be ‘thrown’ down some of the King&Queen enduro stages tonight.

jayx2a
    Free Member

The SX is the 120mm version… and the SX 2… I just dont like those colours!

The Specialized Camber 29er is £1500 at the moment.

Trance 2 still a good shout based on advice?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p6920/GIANT-TRANCE-27-5-2-2016

warns74
    Free Member

IMO the Camber is perfect for what you want and easily capable if you ever decide to take it to some more testing locations, (Alps, etc)

jayx2a
    Free Member

The 650b or 29er Camber?

Anyone ridden/tried the new Boardman Pro FS?

nickc

TBH, I’ve ridden a Anthem and thought it would make the perfect mild mile muncher, but I wouldn’t get hung up on it. The Camber and Trance are both equally excellent bikes, I don’t think you’d be able to hold a fag paper between them in terms of performance. Pick the colour scheme you prefer and best components at your price point, and enjoy!!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Trance is £1599 and has a dropper already so its right on the money. Going to go try one at weekend I think, along with the Anthem.

Then if time the Camber (which is in opposite direction!).

mark90
    Free Member

I ride an Anthem 27.5 with 120mm forks, so essentially an SX, except I bought an standard Anthem with 100mm Reba’s and changed the air shaft to a 120mm one (easy job). I find it plenty of bike for my riding, which sounds similar to yours, except a bit of trail center use and mincing down the steep off piste in the local woods, for which the 120mm forks make a good improvement. It climbs and descends better than me. Run the shock about 28% sag just under the 30% marker and only bottomed it once or twice. Forks at 85psi with one token and have also only bottomed once or twice. Not sure I need more bike, unless my riding gets a lot more gnar and/or I go to the Alps.

jayx2a
    Free Member

2017 Anthem is 120mm front 110mm rear, but will probably be out of price range and be getting lower spec for the money.

jayx2a
    Free Member

These 2 look good for the price, leaves change for a dropper!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291834730656

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182245294745

warns74
    Free Member

The 650b or 29er Camber?

Personal choice but having owned 2 Stumpjumper FSR 29ers I go for the waggon wheels.

jayx2a
    Free Member

The stuntjumper longer travel I take it?

leythervegas
    Free Member

Canyon Nerve

warns74
    Free Member

Yes 135/140 but geometry pretty similar as both in the “trail” category.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Specced up a Bird Zero today and it came in at over £1600 with 1×11 and a dropper. Are they worth the ££ if I went HT? The AM looks great but 150mm might be a bit of a mare on the hills!

jimdubleyou

Canyon Nerve

It’s what I got for almost the exact same type of riding.

Depending on spec, can go a fair bit over £1500 though.

Not sure if they’ve cured their logistics disaster yet either.

NormalMan

In typical STW tradition of recommend what you ride: 29er HT, in steel, with 120mm forks 🙂

jayx2a
    Free Member

I did look in to the genesis Latitude and high Latitude when I was sure I wanted a HT!

And the Bird zero.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

In the STW tradition, may I recommend a 120mm 26er carbon FS. Something like my 2008 Trance Advanced. That’s what I would ride on those trails.

It’s got to bestest for you too… 😆

Anything more gnarly than that and I might be reaching for my 2012 26er Yeti ASR5c (135mm), or 2011 26er Ibis Mojo SL (140mm).

This is all you need. These bikes are teh awesums, cos they are what I ride.. 😆

Wookster

Seems exactly what you need…

jayx2a
    Free Member

Spot on!! Price?!

NormalMan

^ on reflection I should have recommended my fatbike 😉

Wookster

Only £2.5k plus import…….

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘The what bike do I need/what should I buy question’ is closed to new replies.