Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The Welsh Don't Cycle
  • plyphon
    Free Member

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#8/-2.40215/52.21309/blue/bike

Or so the data would show!

I think this has been posted before. Either way, it’s great for data visualisation, and for finding cheeky trails near you (Zoom in on Lordwood Southampton and you can see each trail clear as day).

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, it gives an idea of how sparsely populated the middle bit is.

Oh and a mysterious corner of North Cardiff glows almost as brightly as BPW…

ads678

IMO, the laziest bit is Birmingham as most of it just shows population really, but there’s not much light blue for the population around that part of the country!!

globalti
    Free Member

Been looking at thet map for a few months now and wondering where it will all lead – quite soon every single cycleable road and trail in the world will have been recorded and we really will see who does all the cycling.

Take a look at Africa.

northernmatt

Strava hasn’t quite made it to Antur Stiniog it would seem

njee20
    Free Member

The thing that map shows is how popular Strava is in the UK! I know we have a high population density, but it’s interesting quite how many users we obviously have!

ads678

When you pan out to view the whole world, it’s basically just us the Dutch and the Belgians!!

LoCo
    Free Member

They just don’t turn it on for cheeky trails, so you lot can’t find them 😉

40mpg

Bit of a hotspot at QECP too, and funny to see how many have left Strava on for the Isle of Wight ferry crossing!

Deveron53
    Free Member

A few lonely but keen bikers way off in Siberia it seems!

unklebuck
    Free Member

IMO, the laziest bit is Birmingham as most of it just shows population really, but there’s not much light blue for the population around that part of the country!!

They just all drive to Cannock instead…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

never use any slava or equivalent device -just ride in wales…

aracer
    Free Member

I wonder whether it’s possible to scale the results by local population density, which would show the popularity of cycling in a location more accurately (for some definitions of “more accurately”)?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

This is something I appear to have to explain VERY SLOWLY to an increasing number of people these days…

JUST BECAUSE I RIDE A BIKE DOESN’T MEAN I USE CHUFFING STRAVA

gwaelod
    Free Member

survivorship bias

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and a mysterious corner of North Cardiff glows almost as brightly as BPW…

Where?

JUST BECAUSE I RIDE A BIKE DOESN’T MEAN I USE CHUFFING STRAVA

Of course, but if the percentage of riders using it is consistent country-wide then it gives a good indication.

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

What LoCo said 😀

crazy-legs

You can see the trails centres very clearly.

Same with popular road climbs like Box Hill. Big Sportive routes show up quite well, have a look just north of Perth for the Etape Caledonia route.

IdleJon

Not much evidence of fat bikes being used on beaches 😈 – the only one I can see is at Pembrey, probably because of Battle on the Beach.

Btw it’s not so much that no-one rides in Wales, just that the middle bit is relatively empty. Compare it to Dumfries and Galloway, a similar sort of landscape (ish!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The Welsh Don't Cycle’ is closed to new replies.