Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)
  • The Weekly N Korea Thread
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Obviously no sane person would want a war. But with two bristling high-tech forces rubbing against each other, and firing decisions taken by computer, there is a risk that war may be sparked unintentionally.

piemonster

I’d wager Chinese mobilisation has more to do with securing there Korean border than anything else, with some sabre rattling thrown in.

In general, people don’t go to war if they think they have nothing to gain. Why would China eliminate exports to its biggest single trading partner, with the EU probably following suit. Kind of knocks the stuffing out of there economy.

A buffer state against US influence is handy, but is it really that handy?

zippykona

China would be better off invading N.K

piemonster

I wonder what the odds are on a Chinese driven Coup against the NK leadership?

Edit, beaten to it.

piemonster

It’s an interesting idea, seemingly most NK guns are pointing south.

footflaps

China could just shut the railway line and starve them all to death. NK is pretty much dependant on China for food, fuel and raw materials.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Not forgetting the concept of ‘face’. China couldn’t be seen to be being pushed around by the US over Korea. No doubt stabilisation and control of the border is the prime motivation. It’s true that everyone has more to lose than to gain from a war, and you’d expect rationality to triumph. But it doesn’t always happen that way…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“But with two bristling high-tech forces”

Think you’ve over estimated China there.

More a numbers game for them

thekingisdead
    Free Member

China could just shut the railway line and starve them all to death

To be fair I think the NK government have already started doing that…. 🙄

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Not as advanced as the US, but good enough, and more of them closer to home.

So where does this eventually lead? once this hiatus is past? What is the long-term solution to the Korean problem? I’d imagine that there will be a renewed ‘sunshine’ policy, with the DPRK being slowly integrated into the world economy, and the grudging acceptance that the DPRK is, and will remain a de-facto nuclear power, with the responsibilites that entails. In the long term exposure to even a very limited form of consumerism will have more of a destabilising effect on the CP-DPRK than military and diplomatic pressure. Think how China has evolved in the last forty years. I suspect the solution will be some form of the same opening and reforms. The DPRK leadership will have to evolve or be surplanted.

thx1138
    Free Member

Oh well, looking forward to watching videos of F-18’s wiping out armored columns and the yanks generally bulldozing everyone with high explosives north of the border.

So, you’re ‘looking forward’ to witness the senseless slaughter of countless numbers of young people (forced into military service by their government) simply for entertainment? Personally, I find such a comment as sick and morally reprehensible as fundamentalist nutters rejoicing in the death of UK service personell.

It’s war, it’s not some cosy tv show. Maybe you need to engage a bit more with the notion of empathy, and consider your views somewhat more carefully.

“But with two bristling high-tech forces”

Think you’ve over estimated China there.

Where do most of the World’s electronics come from? Including those in the computer you posted that from?

It’s a common tactic used by one side against another, to denigrate and belittle their capabilities. It’s all part of the propaganda game. Make your enemy seem inferior to you.

China may not parade it’s technology on the world stage in the way that the US does, but rest assured, they are more than capable when it comes to ‘hi-tech’.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

China has already started urgent talks with NK and US. I suspect this maybe more talking to NK to avoid being drawn in to anything that could damage its reputation. An aggressive move by NK would bring universal condemnation and would put China in a difficult position of trying to support an ally. Its more likely that NK will try a quick land grab around the disputed islands or a air/sea incident. Thus starting the reactor can be seen as safe move by NK in terms of prestige.

maxtorque

Side question: “Why, in the entire history of the world, are countries with the words “Democratic Peoples Republic” in their name, always nothing of the sort” ???

rossi46
    Free Member

rossi46
    Free Member

Take away- American’s eh? 😆

rossi46
    Free Member

So, you’re ‘looking forward’ to witness the senseless slaughter of countless numbers of young people (forced into military service by their government) simply for entertainment?

“That’s it me lad….get in there and give Tubby what for…..” 😆

Also, let’s not forget that the first world war was started by stupidity. Not the assasination of Franz Ferdinand but the chaos that followed. This current situation could turn out to be equally as stupid. It’s looking that way right now.

rossi46
    Free Member

Just found this rocket test

Brilliant! 😆

footflaps

Just found this rocket test

Those Patriot missile defence systems will never stop such a powerful rocket!

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I did wee a little when i saw this 😆

rossi46
    Free Member

I did wee a little when i saw this

😆

It has begun

rossi46
    Free Member

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

“To be fair to Kim Jong-un, if I was given a haircut like that, I’d go nuclear.”

– Rory Bremner.

😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surely MSNBC have got that wrong ?

It’s the Yanks who are usually keen to surrender in the Far East.

As when North Vietnam, a poor Third World nation, “whipped their ass”.

The last American helicopter out of Saigon before it was surrendered to North Vietnam and renamed
    Ho Chi Minh City :

piemonster

Vietnam also whipped the Frenchies arses. Eventually.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

and then China invaded north vietnam

stewartc
    Free Member

Vietnam also put up a good show against the Chinese in 1984.

piemonster

Anyway, I’ve just seen the news.

Apparently these NK types have had the audacity to show some activity within there own borders. The bloody cheek of it.

I take it a Submarine leaving Faslane is also outrageous?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not sure but guessing his immediate neighbour should be a tad concerned.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Dobbo

The other news is so boring at the moment now the Philpots have been banged up, that to be honest I hope we have a nuclear war to liven things up a bit.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Vietnam also put up a good show against the Chinese in 1984.

In 1979 when the Chinese attacked Vietnam they barely penetrated inside Vietnamese territory before retreating back into China. The ability of the Vietnamese to hold back the Chinese invasion was all the more remarkable as unlike the Chinese, Vietnam’s front line troops were elsewhere in Cambodia fighting the Khmer Rouge who’s government they had mercifully overthrown.

The Chinese failed in their objectives and the Khmer Rouge never regained control (despite also receiving support from Britain and the US)

rossi46
    Free Member

Wise words from Vladimir Putin -blimey, never thought i’d see that!

dannybgoode

Looks much better like this

Cheers

Danny B

rossi46
    Free Member

North Korea: Next Seven Days Could Be Critical

It will go like this:

|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
    |…TOP SECRET….|
    |…..Launch Site……|
    |……..2 miles………..|
    |_______________|
    …………..?………..???
    …………..?………./????…..?????????
    …………..?…..????????????????????……??????
    …………..?…..?(@)??????????(@).(@)??””????
    …..
    ………………………….’?
    ………………………….??
    ………………………….??
    ………………………….??
    ……???……………??
    …../????………….???
    ????????????????????
    ?(@)??????????(@).(@)??””
    …..
    ………………………….’?
    ………………………….??
    ………………………….??
    ………………………….??
    ………………………….??
    …………………………???
    …………………………??????
    ……???……………????
    …../????
    ????????????????????
    ?(@)??????????(@).(@)??””

😆

rossi46
    Free Member

No wonder the North is at war with the South

They’re all mad!

😆

deluded
    Free Member

The US have upped the anti.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 ernie_lynch

I cycled the border last year. Its very much changed now lots of Chinese holiday makers. The locals took more photos of us than we did of them. Also visited the Hanoi war museum. The Vietnam war with the US is covered very honestly but its interesting to note that North Vietnams interventions in Cambodia and China’s attack receive just 4 very poor black and white photos. Their so bad its impossible to tell what’s even in the photos. No names or locations. The descriptions don’t even name China despite it being a victory (or more accurately a Chinese failure). Simply says Northern and Western Border 1979. It’s a sensitive period for them something I think they genuinely want to see firmly in the past.

Just my views

rossi46
    Free Member

The US have upped the anti.

So has Karl Pilkington 😆

retro83
    Free Member

rossi46
    Free Member

^^^ Brilliant! 😆

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Is Fat Boy the only one allowed binoculars?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘The Weekly N Korea Thread’ is closed to new replies.