Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The War On Drugs appreciation…
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Adam Granduciel can do no wrong in my eyes right now. I loved Lost in the Dream, but the latest album (A Deeper Understanding) somehow hits even higher.

His song-craft and guitar playing are just superb. In fact, as good as it gets by any modern standard. The wall of sound the band manages to create is mind blowing at times. And they’ve even made baritone sax seem cool!

Just amazing.

Check out the full length recent concert in Amsterdam on youtube – a perfect Friday night accompaniment.

https://youtu.be/X_GHRh1mfKY

Stoner
    Free Member

Big fan here too, in fact listening to a Spotify compilation earlier today.

And lucky lucky me (and others) they’re announced as headlining Greenman this year. Woo!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Sweet.

I have a ticket for All Points East this summer. They are on between Future Islands and The National.

A line-up that we simply couldnt refuse.

Stoner
    Free Member

They are on between Future Islands and The National.

*spaff*

slimjim78
    Free Member

You seen Future Island live? Sam Herring is a hella front-man.

Stoner
    Free Member

Yes, caught them at Greenman last year. Great show man.

Check out his performance on Letterman on youtube for nuts energy.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW my “Set of the festival” from greenman 2017 was Lift to Experience.

Completely un-repeatable. They almost dont exist but put in an awesome wall of sound performance.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thanks, ill check them out.

Yes, the Letterman performance was great, it was the Later with Jools one which solidly caught my attention – one of the best I’ve ever seen on the show

Just checked the Greenman line-up – looks superb! I’d be there if it wasn’t for MrsSlim being due to drop MiniSlim that week 🙂

Be sure to check out Beak at Greenman if you haven’t heard much of them, saw them in Berlin last year supporting Arcade Fire and they had a great sound (Portishead member side project).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sweet.

I have a ticket for All Points East this summer. They are on between Future Islands and The National.

A line-up that we simply couldnt refuse.

Same here! And Green Man too. All sounds awesome till you realise I have to look at the Malvern Sasquatch every morning exiting from the temporary cave we have to dig for him. 🐻

Luckily this year, we’re allowed to have him off the long chain as his recall has improved.

cheers_drive

When I first heard TWOD I thought that they were a Springsteen tribute act but having heard more they do appear to be quite good

slimjim78
    Free Member

I have no idea what you are talking about DD, but it sounds fun.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Cheers_drive – thats the spirit! Yes, the Springsteen flavour is there but they are so much more than that. You have to get into their flow and once you do, you’re hooked.

Honestly, turn the lighting low, and soundsystem up – have a nice couple of large whisky’s or brandy’s, and maybe a special cigarette or two and give that concert I linked a good go. I’ve transcended to it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have no idea what you are talking about DD, but it sounds fun.

Ah, my bad.

The Malvern Sasquatch is what everybody in real life knows Stoner as. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I love how he dances as he signs. That’s how I do it when drunk.

Esp the “weighing my heavy balls” one.

Stoner
    Free Member

This is Lift to Experience at Greenman.

Mobile phone video just cant do it justice.

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNlvLcxtdw8</span&gt;

the-muffin-man

You have to get into their flow and once you do, you’re hooked.

^This!

On the surface all the songs sound a little bland and samey. But after a while it just seeps under your skin.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yup.

Its something to do with the ever-present synth notes, and the sound of Adam’s guitar is so very lush – plus the way they draw out the breaks for ages. They turn good 3:30 songs into 6 to 7 min epics.

Sometimes they remind me of how great comedians can start a good joke, then go off on a complete tangent, only to come back to the original punchline minutes later, and have you in stitches because you’d forgotten how funny the start of the story was. It’s a musical equivalent of that. Or something.

I’m rambling.

binners

A Deeper Understading waaa the best album of last year by a country mile IMHO

Springstein-esque gorgeousness

Garry_Lager

slimjim78

Adam Granduciel can do no wrong in my eyes right now. I loved Lost in the Dream, but the latest album (A Deeper Understanding) somehow hits even higher.

His song-craft and guitar playing are just superb. In fact, as good as it gets by any modern standard. The wall of sound the band manages to create is mind blowing at times. And they’ve even made baritone sax seem cool!

Spot on slimjim.

Some heavy shit on A deeper understanding, but I reckon the back half is a bit weak [save the last track] compared to Requim, which is really even all through.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Definitely with you on TWOD, big fan here.

Still struggling with Future Islands. I get close at times and then something pushes me away.

BigJohn

Sounds like there will be quite a few STWers at Green Man.  We bought our tickets last Thursday knowing nothing about it, except we went to Beautiful Days last year and fancied something similar but without the electric fiddles.  Might be interested in some hips and tints, sorry, tips and hints. ( Where’s the strikethrough gone) nearer the time

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

That Future Islands clip above – wow!!!!!!

Not come across them before, but I’ll definitely be checking more of their stuff out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Might be interested in some hips and tints, sorry, tips and hints. ( Where’s the strikethrough gone) nearer the time

Which car park are you in?

BigJohn

Orange.  The blue was fully booked an hour after general release tickets went on sale.  I guess blue is better.

We’ll have a van and I’ll make a trolley.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, you’ll be in for a bit of a walk but it’s worth it. Really good festival. Anyway, don’t want to derail slimjim’s thread – start a thread in August and plenty of us here will chip in. (I’ve only been once!)

davosaurusrex

Been loving the WOD and FI last year, hadn’t seen that Jools Holland performance before. Bloody hell he’s got some charisma! Watched it three times now

codybrennan
    Free Member

He certainly has charisma, no dispute there. Its the vocal style that seems to push me away.

I think its a West of Scotland thing, where I’m from. Reminds me too much of:

Its probably just me.

ART

I’m in! I properly love these albums & Slave Ambient, would be very happy with just TWOD albums on my desert island if forced to choose 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I like them…

but…they sound like

The Waterboys….

slimjim78
    Free Member

I thought they (FI)were possibly a Scottish band when I first heard them 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

I have tickets to see WoD in Brooklyn next week! Get in!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Sorry for dragging up a tired thread, but I have to add, WoD in Brooklyn was easily one of the best shows I have ever attended.

If you are on the fence over seeing them anytime soon, I strongly advise that you do!.

I even got to chat with Adam’s mom & dad, who were right in front of me in the VIP area (perks of a pregnant OH).

I was struck by how they sounded even better live than on recordings, Adams vocals are much clearer and more distinct, and watching him own the guitar breaks whilst he wrings impossible tones out of it really is something to behold. A sublime band.

Also some of the best lighting I’ve ever witnessed at a show. To the point where I felt obliged to thanks the mixing guys after the show. Good feels all round.

slimjim78
    Free Member

A wee video I took from Saturdays show in Victoria Park.

Euphoric atmosphere. So glad to see so many like minded folk singing/dancing along. (and yes thats me whooping in the background)

scandal42
    Free Member

I’ve seen TWOD and Future Islands live twice now.

Future Islands are on another level live, simply fantastic from start to finish.

I found the lead singer of TWOD a bit up himself, might be wrong but that’s how I remember feeling. I love their music though.

If you get a chance to see Future Islands then take it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Given your view jamj, I reckon I was stood only a matter of yards away. I really enjoyed the set. I think the weather and a nice all day beer buzz helped. 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

I saw Future Island in Brighton last year, and about an hour before TWoD played last week 🙂

Definitely excellent, but even better in a smaller arena.

I think TWoD lead singer/guitarist (Adam Granduciel) is just perma-happy (it’s been a long road to success), which can come across a bit ‘why’s he always smiling?..’ From other footage I’ve seen and comments at shows I reckon he’s a dude.

DD – glad you enjoyed the atmosphere! I got chatting to a bunch of really nice lads who can’t have been over 20yo – all completely into the music and knowing of the lyrics – one even had an Arcade Fire tattoo (in response to my Arcade Fire t-shirt), and he asked me which was my favourite Radiohead album.. he wasn’t even born when it was produced (!).

Gives me hope for the sustained future of decent music when I come across young lads like them with such passion for the music.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘The War On Drugs appreciation…’ is closed to new replies.