The Voyage of the Gnusmobile

Home Forum Chat Forum The Voyage of the Gnusmobile

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)
  • The Voyage of the Gnusmobile
  • Premier Icon gnusmas
    Subscriber

So that’s what the car looks like, well bits of it anyway 😊

First time I have seen it!

TJ – thankyou so much for kickstarting this whole thing off and for what you have done. One day hopefully I might be able to buy you a pint. Or pastie. And cake. Possibly an irn bru too. Nice to put a face to the name too.

As I scrolled through the photos, you reminded me of wolverine! Though now Hugh jackman has moved on, we need a video of you belting out this is me from the greatest showman instead.

Looking forward to stage 2 updates now 😁

tjagain

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I’m laughing and crying in equal measure

This.

I’ve a vision of tj with tandem on the Yaris, gnumas looking like the lead character from Waking Ned and Marko with full WRC pits ready…

Full roll cage, rip the seats out?  Its quite a nippy wee thing  😉

</div>

Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

I met up with Gnusmas for a few seconds today. He was being given a lift to the other side of town, where his kids were off for some fun and a good time.

That will change soon, they will be able to go wherever, whenever. Cheers guys, TJ you have been a star today 😀

A lovely thing done by a lot of casting people. Again.

Very impressive by all involved.

ElShalimo

TJ is my new man-crush

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

This is just brilliant. Well done to all involved.

Really uplifting.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Great stuff. Does chapter 2 begin tomorrow?

Chew

Yep,

I’ll be departing from Halifax in the morning and via the power of pies, making my way down to Chepstow to drop off the car.

Blagged a lift back up North from DannybGoode on Sunday.

If anyone who lives in Bristol has a sofa to sleep on Saturday night, that would be ace?

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

Chew, you not BB200 ing?

Worth a txt to Taylor as he’s 50/50*

*edit: realise this may seem like gibberish but Chew will get it 🙂

Premier Icon kennyp
    Subscriber

Top marks to all involved.

SammyC

I hope we can get the 12v socket fixed (probably just the fuse) otherwise the DVD players will be pretty useless!

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

As I scrolled through the photos, you reminded me of wolverine!

TJ is my new man-crush

There are worse things than getting compared to Hugh Jackman, I guess!

Well done all. 🙂

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

We’ve missed a trick here.

We should’ve seen whether we could’ve wangled a sponsorship deal from Gregg’s.

andrewh

Not the fuse Sammy. Not sure what the problem is, but not it’s that easy unfortunately.

The centre console all seems to run off one fuse. Everything else works fine but when you plug something in to the 12V it blows the fuse and the rest of it goes dead. Hopefully Marko knows electircs as well as the other bits, if not anyone else any good with them? The code for the radio is in the handbook we sent down with it.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

That there overly handsome Wolverine posted by martinhutch is scarier than the “real” one!

jekkyl

Good work guys.

I propose the next crowd fund should be to buy TJ a razor!

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Chew, email in profile. The lad has a spare room in Bristol and I’m there Saturday night. We should be able to help.

(NB there will be a large friendly dog in attendance, he will want a fuss and probably to play ‘ball’).

Marko

Hi andrewh,

Electrics are no problem.

Do you have a list of the jobs that need doing?

Best PM me a list if possible

Ta

Marko

andrewh

PM sent. Surprsingly small list for an 18yr old car 🙂

Smaller list than my 14yr old van…

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I’m interested in the fixing of the issues, can you share the list and progress?

That’s a lovely thought.

But I’ll buy Gnusmas a 4 series if it avoids you stripping this car back to the chassis.

andrewh

It’s not a big list, just some wee niggles:

Front right wheel bearing needs replaced (part is about £20)

Front left wheel bearing may need replaced, difficult to tell due to the noise from the right (part is about £20)

Front exhaust section, just in front of the cat, has a hole, probably about big enough to stick a pencil in. May or may not be weldable.(new section is about £60)

Damp patch on fuel tank. No idea what’s going on, garage told this to the wife, I didn’t get chance to look. Fine at the moment, may be an MOT issue in Feb, may be fine. (New fuel tank is about £80)

Slow puncture right rear (fix for a tenner? Tyre is a bit worn, new one only £40)

Minor problems: 12v doesn’t work, plug anything in and it blows the fuse for the radio. Central locking only works from the passenger side. One broken wheel trim but Jonnyboi is sending new ones.

£200ish to fix, plus Marko’s time and effort, and good as new.

Nice thought Mr Necesseties but the whole reason this began (back story from the other thread) was MrsH trying to find a way for Little Yaris, aka the Gnusmobile, to live on and find a new purpose in life, and then thepurist suggested Gnusmas, Marko offered to fix it, MrsH agreed, thepurist sent up the crowd funder, TJ got us all organised and then he, Chew and Ambrose have set up some sort of relay and everyone else got really enthusiastic and mucked in and here we all are. Just buying a car may not have captured the imagination in quite the same way. However, if you are offering a spare 4-Series…

Premier Icon gnusmas
    Subscriber

But if a 4 series is being offered, we could morph it with the gnusmobile and that could be stage 4 onwards?

Been looking at car seat widths online. Really hoping to be able to shoehorn everyone into it without too many issues. How many can fit comfortably in the back of a Yaris?

andrewh

We’ve had four adults comfortably, five uncomfortably. Two and two bikes comfortably, two and one bike with the rear wheel still on uncomfortably.

Two adults, one baby, a pushchair and a bike was more problematic.

Don’t know what hppens if you merge a Yaris and a 440i, probably end up a bit like this

Premier Icon Ambrose
    Subscriber

It’s a blummin’ Tardis.

csb

If you need a car seat for a preschooler to 5 year old we have a mint maxi cosi isofix or belt one going free very soon. Suspect two car seats across the back seat would be the max.

andrewh

Middle one would be pushing it! There’s no isofix mounts but ours was fine with the seatbelts. Rear centre is a lap belt which also doesn’t help with the third one…

Tinners

Thread of the year. In a world where there seems to be more angst and intolerance than I can ever remember, this thread – and the contributers in particulat – are like a breath of fresh air. There are some very good people out there. Hats off to you, gentlemen. Chapeau.

bigsurfer

This thread is awesome and I have chipped in to all the Gnusmas threads. That said I can’t help but feeling that Gnusmas is really going to struggle to get 3 kids in the back of a Yaris though especially if the high back booster seats are required. I might have missed it but how old are Gnusmas’s kids roughly so we can try and work out a way. I think I am right that he has 4 kids.

tjagain

Oops = that never really occurred to me.  I do hope a way can be found.  Its got 3 seatbelts in the back

Premier Icon gnusmas
    Subscriber

Yes 4 kids. Oldest is 15 next week and is 5’10” so I don’t think he needs a booster seat. 10 year old is on a booster, 5 year old is in a high back booster and 3 year old is in a proper seat, need to check how far off a high back booster he is.

Fitting them all in is worrying me a bit, if we all go out together. I think being offered a car slightly took over from thinking about this properly. That’s why I asked how many can fit in the back comfortably.

Insurance was the other factor. I have spoken to a few companies yesterday and explained the situation and they have all said they cannot use my no claims as they have lapsed. So definitely needed to be an insurance friendly car.

nosedive

Gnusmas you might find the 10 year old is ok without a booster and could sit in the middle? My youngest is 10 and we havent used a booster for a while now

Edit : needs to be 135 cm tall apparently

Premier Icon gnusmas
    Subscriber

Just checked and he is 130cm. Not far off but not quite there yet. I had thought of doing what nosedive said, but not sure how easy/comfortable it would be the more I think about it. I can only try.

nosedive

Failing that maybe putting the proper seat in the front would free up enough space in the back for 2 boosters and the youth

Chew

Right

all systems go for Stage 2.

a bit windy up here so may need to find a lorry to draft to get over the hill to Manchester…..

Premier Icon stevie750
    Subscriber

Failing that maybe putting the proper seat in the front would free up enough space in the back for 2 boosters and the youth

+1. Put the widest seat in the front

I have a fabia so probably a similar size. With two kids seats in the back only slim child could fit inbetween and it pretty uncomfortable for them on a long journey.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

all systems go for Stage 2.

Fire up the satellite.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

This place is just amazing sometimes.

Uncle Jezza…. you’re a legend! We knew this anyway, but thanks for confirming 😃

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.