Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The vet
  • Merak

We took Rory to the vet today. It was a one way trip for him, I knew it but couldn’t bring myself to accept it.

His health was good throughout his life but he’s been to the vets a couple of times over the last months. Amongst other ailments a heart murmur and latterly/today after a weight loss and lack of interest in eating and a strong suspicion of a tumor in his kidney after a blood test, we took the decision that euthanasia would be the best option.

I looked right in his eyes at the end. he was still wagging is tail in the waiting room.

Im broken hearted.

ji
    Free Member

Tough for you. Still miss mine nearly two years on (and the one before that 11 years ago)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

🙁

“His health was good throughout his life”

So he had a happy life, no one can ask for more.

The fact that you are broken hearted shows that he must have been cared for throughout his life, he was very lucky.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sorry dude. 🙁

I’m sure you know you did the right thing but it doesn’t make it any easier. Soon, you will just have happy memories of him. He looks like a fair old character.

Drac

Hardest part about owning a dog is the day we have to make that decision.

theotherjonv

Sad for you. How can dogs* do this to us? Our 7mo old puppy went in to be spayed yesterday. She was so groggy last night I could hardly sleep, and in the end pulled the inflatable mattress out and slept next to her basket. They’re not ‘just’ dogs are they?

* pets – broken hearted at saying goodbye to two cats in the last couple of years.

eskay

Feel for you man. Got this coming at some point soon, I have two fourteen year old dogs.

Done it once before and it ripped me to shreds.

busydog
    Free Member

So sorry to hear that–from experience, I think it is an unbelievably hard decision to make, no matter how necessary you know it is.
    Keep the good memories alive!!

CheesybeanZ

Having done this twice I know how your feeling 😥 try not to dwell on today you’ve got years of good times with him to remember .

imnotamused
    Free Member

I feel your pain. I had our cat Mia put down yesterday morning after 24 hrs on a drip. She stopped eating suddenly and they diagnosed kidney diease. Absolutely gutted 😥

The same cat that was was responsible for this…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-little-welcome-home-present-from-my-cat-aargh

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

🙁
    As other already have said, from experience, I found this is possibly one of the hardest things to do.

samuri
    Free Member

So sorry to hear this.
    It is a horrible thing to go through but it is something we must all accept when we take a pet into our homes.

Remember he had a good life and you made that for him.

PePPeR

Another person who knows that feeling, I still miss my border terrier 4 years on.

samuri
    Free Member

Oh ffs. Eyes leaking now.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Do you have kids Merak? I have to tell our 6 year old tomorrow. She said yesterday she misses Mia who as far as she knows is at the hospital (which makes people better in all her books). Man. 😥

footflaps

Tough call.

Remember he had a good life and you made that for him.

+1

porter_jamie

poor little boy, I feel your pain. rip rory

Northwind

Doing the right thing should feel better 🙁

imnotamused
    Free Member

And remember, for every friend that falls another one rises

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/puppy-help-please

toppers3933
    Free Member

i’m real sorry to hear that. he looks a bobby dazzler.
    just having a little cry.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

🙁

mintsauce5
    Free Member

Gutted for you 😥

mightymule
    Free Member

Feeling for you 🙂

Muke
    Free Member

RIP Rory 🙁

Check out the My Dog a Paradox on this thread..http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/if-you-have-ever-owned-loved-or-lost-a-dog

muddodger
    Free Member

I hate these damn threads, always goes very dusty 🙁
    Thoughts go out to you and your family.

I still haven’t got over losing my springer, and that’s nearly 4 years ago. Certainly can’t replace her.

Going for a cry.

anagallis_arvensis

Sat on the sofa with my mutt. She’s chasing a rabbit in her sleep. When the time comes I hope I have your strength.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

This is the day I dread with my mutt. no consolation but think of the good times.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Ahh ignored this all day as I had a suspicion if it’s content, just gave my ten month old springer a space on the settee after reading this.

All the best mate, as everyone else said, you made his good life.

eskay

Sat on the sofa with my mutt. She’s chasing a rabbit in her sleep.

Raised a smile when I read that. They do make you laugh, they give you so much joy during their short lives (and some grief sometimes as well!).

I can remember nearly impaling myself on a fence one Christmas morning trying to retrieve one of my dogs who had chased a squirrel!

As mentioned above, remember the good times and the good life you gave Rory.

Merak

Thank you all for the replies and sentiments.

I’m not sure why I posted this other than a cathartic vent. I feel better today, didnt get much sleep last night, the image of yesterday will be with me forever. He was a big part of my life.

There’s never a good time to make that particular visit, but as the vet said, better a week early than a week late. In retrospect he was on a downward spiral and he was just about able to walk in there rather than me carrying him.

Those of you with a dog, give him/her a shout, and give them a big kiss or a biscuit because one day you won’t be able to.

zippykona

There’s nothing that fills the void of a dearly missed hound like a new puppy.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – you did what was best for him. As your vet said, many owners wait too long and their pet suffers needlessly. I know what you’re feeling; at one point I had to put down 3 cats in 3 years!

This may not be right for you, but I always got another one the next day. The new one is never the same; they all have their own personality. But getting another kept me busy and took my mind off of the one that I lost. And it made a spot available in the shelter for another…

jamj1974

Merak and imnotamused. I am so sorry for your losses.

Merak in particular – Rory was wagging his tail because he has happy to be be with you. He trusted you and knew you would do the best by him – which you did. No one can do anything more than that.

imnotamused, we have got this coming to us too soon. Douglas is 15 now and although in brilliant health right now this could all change so quickly because of his age. The children all adore him…

Thinking of you both…

khani
    Free Member

🙁 sympathies op, as said above ^^^ you gave him a loving home and a good life
    When you’re ready get a puppy and do it again, there’s plenty of pooches out there that don’t get that chance..

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘The vet’ is closed to new replies.