Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The urge to merge…..mortgages
  • peanutcracknell
    Free Member

Hi Mrs PeanutCracknell here.
    The Hubby and I are looking to get ourselves down to one mortgage. When we got married we both owned our own houses, now we are living together and my mother is in my place. If we want to move house we will struggle having 2 separate mortgages, particularly if we are pushing ourselves more financially with the next place.
    Does anyone know if Mr PeanutCracknells mortgage lender would allow us to take out more on his mortgage to pay off mine or do we just keep the reason for taking out more on his mortgage quiet and use a cover story? (There is plenty of equity in the house)

matt_outandabout

If someone else is in your house then that mortgage needs to be a buy to let.

You can borrow what you like, up to limits set by the Loan to Value or your ability to repay.

I have main house mortgage and a buy to let.

fadda

Be honest with your chosen lender – you’re not doing anything wrong by wanting to consolidate!

If they’re not happy for some reason, then just shop around – you might even save some money if your current mortgage(s) has/have been in the same place for a while.

ads678

or ‘consent to let’ which is what I changed my mortgage to when I moved out of my old house and started to rent it out.

Although I suppose this depends on if the mother is renting the property….

Dickyboy

MOAB – If you have a member of your family living in a mortgaged house and not charging them “rent” you don’t have to have a buy to let mortgage.

But yeah, contact your lenders and ask them, I paid off the second mortgage on my wife’s house by increasing my mortgage last year.

zilog6128

not necessarily… also my BTL specifically prohibits a relative living there!

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

Cheers all, mother is living the high life rent free so that side of things is no issue! Think it’s time to have a chat with our mortgage lenders!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘The urge to merge…..mortgages’ is closed to new replies.