• This topic has 81 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by otsdr.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • The Ultimate Weight Weenie
  • egb81
    Free Member

He’s definitely a man who could do with having someone sit him down and explain that just because you can do something it doesn’t mean you should/it’s a good idea. Where/what does he actually ride that makes all this effort (madness) worthwhile?

amedias
    Free Member

DT Swiss carbon fork with steerer cut

Carbon fibre steerer extension (made by myself)

er…I can only assume that the original carbon steerer just wasn’t light enough or something

njee20
    Free Member

I saw that, mildly terrifying.

Good to see our own DanW asking sensible questions and playing at mediator!

Dark-Side

I won’t mention what the guys on G+ think of you but to put it lightly they hate you

😀

lankystreakofpee

Believe me guys I wouldn’t have spent over £12000 and spent tine machining parts and waiting for parts to be made for me without thinking it through . The bike is unique and that in itself is what I love about it too .

😯 😯 How much??

DanW
    Free Member

Good to see our own DanW asking sensible questions and playing at mediator!

Ta 🙂

The curious Weenie in me wanted to try and eek out something positive and I am a little ashamed to say got constantly suckered in against my better judgement. Nevertheless I did try to be civil and bring out the good bits in what this chap does, but alas there was no helping the dude

Part Deux

swanny853

That thread was…. different.

As someone who has briefly considered trying a rigid fork on a softail or short travel full suss, just ‘because’ really, I was interested at first but, well, 😯

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Reminds me of that thread the Katec bearings guy started. The STW world masses struggling to get their heads round anything outside of their very normal lives.

I think this sums it up.

molgrips – Member
    Yes. He’s not really out to impress anyone much – just doing it for the hell of it. Obsessive behaviour? Or just a hobby? No different to building ships in bottles or collecting something stupid. Just what people do.

faustus

I think he might have voided the warranty on those forks…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Looking at those two threads i don’t know who is worse, those trying to explain. Or those encouraging him.

Both are going to end up with him in a hospital somewhere.

The STW world masses struggling to get their heads round anything outside of their very normal lives.

Hardly. He’s taking stuff that works, and making it not work in a way he simply can’t grasp. Then “testing” it.

njee20
    Free Member

Reminds me of that thread the Katec bearings guy started. The STW world masses struggling to get their heads round anything outside of their very normal lives.

I think it’d be fine if he said that, but he makes all sorts of mental assertions about his frankenbike being better then everyone else’s for x y and z reasons, which are total and utter bollocks!

stevenk4563
    Free Member

This made me laugh 😀

Well to put simply I don’t trust carbon frames . Too many issues for surface strength and if you crash hard the likely hood of a write off is high .

otsdr
    Free Member

And he’s not done yet with the forks…

njee20
    Free Member

Tried to post that last night, mental!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I don’t know what’s more tragic, that that guy posts the stuff or that I just wasted half an hour reading it.

He’s either a very elaborate troll or a total fruitloop.

That fork… just… but…. ???!?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You know what i said about him ending up in hospital.

Thats it. Right there.
    First time he hits a bump or pulls on the brakes the fork will collapse.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My Physics teacher did that.

Took a drill to his steel frame and made it look like Swiss cheese.

We all thought he was nuts too. His brother used to work in F1 and carbon fibre.

Who needs over engineering anyway?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

You know what i said about him ending up in hospital.

Thats it. Right there.
    First time he hits a bump or pulls on the brakes the fork will collapse.

No-one who actually rides would do that to a fork. Bet he never actually rides any of those creations in anger.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and more confusing whats that thing hanging on the door behind the forks

DanW
    Free Member

The threads showed that

A) He is not an engineer (bad)

B) The bikes this stuff goes on don’t get ridden (good)

Tis all for internetz pointz

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Mild Aspergers. Narcasistic personality disorder. Probably.

Quite sad, but oddly compelling to watch in a car crash type way.

zippykona

He reminds of a bloke in Bizarre magazine who built a guillotine and was fond of chopping bits of his body off.
    When I read about him he was down to one arm minus a few fingers.
    I guess it makes WW man quite normal.
    He just seems oblivious to the flack he is receiving. Maybe this is some sort of self harming . Odd.

bigrich

eccentric man makes odd contraptions

we should be applauding him.

AlexSimon

bigrich – Member

eccentric man makes odd contraptions

we should be applauding him. +1

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

All the way to casualty i guess……

swanny853
    steve_b77
    Free Member

He’s frikkin nuts

legend
    Free Member

I assume this is Seb Kemp? Same guy that stripped the paint off his 222 to save weight back in the day? For a while he stopped bein mental, realised his setups were terrible and became a normal, and bloomin’ quick, rider!

mattyfez

Holy thread resurrection!

njee20
    Free Member

For a while he stopped bein mental, realised his setups were terrible and became a normal, and bloomin’ quick, rider!

He’s regressed…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Think this might be a different person.

SamB
    Free Member

I bet that rides like absolute dogshit 😯

downhiller

I assume this is Seb Kemp? Same guy that stripped the paint off his 222 to save weight back in the day? For a while he stopped bein mental, realised his setups were terrible and became a normal, and bloomin’ quick, rider!

I think there’s at least three different Sebs in this sentence. Me, the main subject “SebK”, and lastly Whistler-based Seb Kemp.

It’s probably my 222 you’re thinking of, <36lb in 2002. A time when the average DH bike was 44lb or so, and 40lb was considered light.

Mainly just from carefully choosing proven light-weight parts (CX-Ray spokes, X-lite seatpost, foam grips, ea70 carbon bar, for example). Tyres, chain device and rims were heavy items though – durability and reliability is more important than weight saving on some items! I had a minimal 6-cog reduced cassette on it, which you’ll note all the top DH bikes are coming with these days!

The best thing about that bike was the floating brake, I’m not sure hardly anyone makes those anymore. Annoyingly noisy once the rose joints started to wear, but it worked stunningly well.

opusone
    Free Member

Those brakes… Running front and rear brakes off a single lever – is that a thing that other people have done and works or are they an(other) likely cause for an A&E attendance?

njee20
    Free Member

Who knew Seb was Such a common weight weenie name!

Two brakes one lever can work, but I’d not want to do any serious riding with it set up like that. Not to say that one couldn’t adapt to it though.

onandon
    Free Member

Seb, common German name – German and rides a bike, probably a weight weenie.

downhiller

<checks Germanness>

Nope, I’m not German.

andyl
    Free Member

Is that the 2017 Orange Five?

qtip

That 222 is a thing of beauty compared to the Coyote DH2 abomination with longer-than-designed-for shock that you used to ride Seb!

downhiller

What do you mean, that was a thing of beauty. Ah, the Risse Jupiter 5, that takes me back 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘The Ultimate Weight Weenie’ is closed to new replies.