Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The Ultimate STW Recommendation Thread (coffee, woodburner content)
  • AdamW
    Free Member

Folks

It is my 20th birthday this year (I count in base 25, by the way 🙂 ). To celebrate I would like to treat myself to a nice coffee machine. I have a Nespresso Pixie which is nice (pods are expensive) but I was thinking of an espresso maker, but I hear the Gaggia Classic has gone downhill of late. Unless the hive mind can think of better?

Also since the rear lounge gas fire died MrAdamW has mentioned he would very much like a woodburner to replace it. I was thinking of a Yeoman CL5. Can people recommend this burner? I want something contemporary and not twiddly victorian style.

And before anyone asks I own two singlespeeds.

burko73

I’ve had a DeLonghi esam for a few yrs now. Bean to cup. Great coffee and super reliable. Easy to clean. Cheap (£300?) on amazon. I might have paid less.

jam-bo

I have a yeoman CL3. its great.

senorj

pods are expensive

& not so good for the environment!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Seek out an old Gaggia Classic on eBay, restore it yourself (easy to strip and rebuild) and do the OPV mod. Or get a Rancilio Silvia. Get a good grinder too, usual STW recommendation is Iberital mc2 (though not brilliant if you want to do a bunch of different grinds.)

willard

Don’t forget the hipster coffee beans. I have a delivery of them every 9/10 days from Pact and it’s nice having a that variety of flavours in my morning cuppa.

If you live near Cambridge, there are a couple of local roasters that you can buy from.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I have a delivery of them every 9/10 days from Pact and it’s nice having a that variety of flavours in my morning cuppa.

Nice idea but a PITA in practice as you have to tune the grind for completely different beans every time you get a new batch. At least if it’s the same beans then it’s only a bit of fine tuning generally. I get mine from Rave.

AdamW
    Free Member

@senor j

I tried to sent them back but it was a PITA so I bought one of these:

and I push out the coffee which goes onto the compost heap and the caps go into general recycling.

But I just ordered 200 caps and it came to £60.

senorj

Nice one Adam.
    You are Dave Angel & I claim my £5. 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘The Ultimate STW Recommendation Thread (coffee, woodburner content)’ is closed to new replies.