Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • The Ukraine – where will it all end?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

This has the potential to turn even uglier than it has at the moment. What else can we expect apart from streams of refugees and an undeclared conflict between Russia and the EU/NATO?

alpin
    Free Member

i don’t know where it’ll end but it seems to be getting uglier the longer it continues…. 25 dead due to protesting :/

kimbers

a big concrete wall dividing east from west?

woody2000

Is it the beginning of a “spring” in the former USSR states? It looks to have a similar “shape” to the Arab protests.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s looking like a war zone

BBC News

shermer75
    Free Member

BLOG 10:35
    BBC Monitoring’s Vitaliy Schevchenko says a key member of Ukraine’s ruling party, Serhiy Tyhypko, has criticised both sides in the crisis. On his Facebook page Tyhypko says “the president, parliament speaker, acting prime minister and opposition leaders have totally lost control of the situation”.

shermer75
    Free Member

This as also interesting, if true

emails: I am receiving information all the time, from friends in Kiev… and talk about an east-west split is complete nonsense. I have friends from Lugansk and Rivne who are in Kiev. All of Ukraine is together, to fight for a common cause… to see an end to the dictatorship.

kimbers

vs

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I suspect that if Yanukovych doesn’t get a grip, Russia will invade.

Some “spring”…

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, overt Russian involvement can’t be that far away. Obama has also talked about ‘consequences’

jools182
    Free Member

I know some Ukrainians

I’m being told travelling between cities is becoming more and more impossible

They have also told me travel to Poland has been blocked

I’m concerned

binners

Its just a good job that Russia has always been reluctant to interfere directly, militarily in the affairs of its neighbouring countries, when its perceives a threat to its interests. Especially so with a cool, non-aggressive head like Putin at the helm.

Oh… wait…. hang on a minute…..

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, no historical precedents set there

shermer75
    Free Member

The rumours are true, the government has brought in snipers

Thirteen of the protesters killed in Independence Square on Thursday morning died from single gunshot wounds fired by a sniper, a medic in Independence Square tells Interfax-Ukraine news agency.

shermer75
    Free Member

TWEET 10:51
    Kateryna Kruk, The Guardian
    tweets: “Snipers are shooting from from Hotel Ukraina and Instytutsjka, more dead around”

popstar
    Free Member

Interestingly after Georgia affairs after few years, Georgians themselves hold their heads in shame and fancy coming back as friends with MotherLand. Guess west stopped hand outs, while Russian market was closed for them.

They realised who was the daddy.

Same will be with Ukraine.

zippykona

The more dependant we become on The Bear’s oil and gas the more chance we have of being the next Ukraine.
    Every windmill and solar panel is a **** off to Putin.

jools182
    Free Member

there’s talk now of a state of emergency and internet and mobile phone networks going offline

bowglie

Yeah, once one knows about the er…’troubled history’ between the Ukraine and other parts of the former USSR, it seems like it has all the potential to really kick off (i.e. Russia going in). I think it helps understand the current situation if one has some historical perspective on what’s going on. IMO, a lot of the trouble in these former Soviet states and Balkans countries (and much of the Middle East) has roots in what happened during WW2. I think in the West, we have shorter memories than in other parts of the World.

I’m not sure how many people in the West are aware, but a lot of Ukrainians sided with the Nazis in WW2, and the atrocities carried out by Ukrainians on other Soviets and ‘undesirables’ was so extreme that it even shocked the SS soldiers (not too shocked to stop the s**ts filming it though!!) – I’ve seen some of the footage shot by the Nazis and it’s so bad, I had to switch it off. Apparently, the Ukrainians who volunteered for the SS were so extreme that they were formed into ‘special units’ to eradicate any potential opposition to Nazi rule.

I don’t know what Russians think of the Ukrainians now, but given their past record, I can’t think there’d be much opposition to military intervention.

I feel very sorry for the ordinary folk who are inevitably going
    to end up getting caught up in the fall-out from this trouble. Just goes to show how unresolved political issues can grow into ugly situations.

kimbers

the ukranians I know, young educated etc are much more liberal and westernized than the ss volunteers above! however a girl I know despite being very anti yanyukovich was negative about many of her fellow ukranians and what the eventual outcome would be

shermer75
    Free Member

12:01:

About 50 opposition activists are blocking the tracks in front of a train carrying paratroopers from Dnepropetrovsk to Kiev, the Interfax-Ukraine news agency reports, quoting a head of a local branch of the opposition Fatherland party. The 10-carriage train carrying 500 servicemen is being held up at a small station outside Dnepropetrovsk, in eastern Ukraine.

It doesn’t look like a Kiev only, or even western Ukraine only, protest then..

seosamh77
    Free Member

woody2000 – Member
    Is it the beginning of a “spring” in the former USSR states? It looks to have a similar “shape” to the Arab protests.

looks more like the beginning of a civil war.

shermer75
    Free Member

looks more like the beginning of a civil war.

With this many people dying and a high level of Putin involvement it does feel more like a Syria rather than a Tunisia, unfortunately….

sobriety
    Free Member

The reason for the Ukrainian hatred of the rest of the USSR has a lot to do with how Stalin treated them…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

bowglie

the ukranians I know, young educated etc are much more liberal and westernized than the ss volunteers above!

Yes, that’s what I’ve found. I didn’t intend to paint every Ukrainian as a Nazi sympathiser, just give some idea of the recent history that might well influence some people in parts of the former Soviet states.

I don’t think we have to travel very far to see how these past historical events can fester away and influence current politics (Northern Ireland). Sadly, I dunno what the answer is.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bowglie – Member
    Yeah, once one knows about the er…’troubled history’ between the Ukraine and other parts of the former USSR, it seems like it has all the potential to really kick off (i.e. Russia going in). I think it helps understand the current situation if one has some historical perspective on what’s going on. IMO, a lot of the trouble in these former Soviet states and Balkans countries (and much of the Middle East) has roots in what happened during WW2. I think in the West, we have shorter memories than in other parts of the World.

I’m not sure how many people in the West are aware, but a lot of Ukrainians sided with the Nazis in WW2, and the atrocities carried out by Ukrainians on other Soviets and ‘undesirables’ was so extreme that it even shocked the SS soldiers (not too shocked to stop the s**ts filming it though!!) – I’ve seen some of the footage shot by the Nazis and it’s so bad, I had to switch it off. Apparently, the Ukrainians who volunteered for the SS were so extreme that they were formed into ‘special units’ to eradicate any potential opposition to Nazi rule.

I don’t know what Russians think of the Ukrainians now, but given their past record, I can’t think there’d be much opposition to military intervention.

I feel very sorry for the ordinary folk who are inevitably going
    to end up getting caught up in the fall-out from this trouble. Just goes to show how unresolved political issues can grow into ugly situations.

in fairness, there was the ukrainian genocide/”famine”, pre WW2, so I guess you could understand why they weren’t particularly fond of stalin.

spacemonkey

That famine reminds me of Mao’s Great Leap Forward that was always doomed to failure, with something like 20-40 million people dying from starvation and forced labour. Genocide of an impossibly epic scale.

shermer75
    Free Member

Chairman Meow

kimbers

Councillors in Ukraine’s western Transcarpathia Region have voted to declare the region “free of Yanukovych rule” – UNIAN news agency via BBC Monitoring.
    13:33: Irena Taranyuk from the BBC’s Ukrainian Service says the authorities have “lost control” of the west of the country.
    “Local protestors have not only taken control of local authorities but they have torched security services headquarters,” she told the BBC World Service’s Newshour programme.
    13:32: Trains running from opposition-minded western Ukraine to Kiev are either badly delayed or cancelled – due urgent engineering works, says Ukraine’s state-owned railway operator Ukrzaliznytsya.
    Unconfirmed reports also say extra train services are being put in place to bring government supporters to Kiev from the country’s Russian-speaking east – BBC Monitoring.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like the Ivano-Frankisvk region might be joining the Transcarpathian oblast on rejecting Yanukovych’s rule. All news reports subject to heresay and rumour, obvs

shermer75
    Free Member

Ivano-Frankivsk regional council in western Ukraine passes a vote of no-confidence in President Yanukovych designating him an “illegitimate head of state”, the UNIAN news agency reports.

porter_jamie

it is all looking very grim, poor sods

re when will The Ukraine end, officially in 1993.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in Venezuela;

See also Bangkok which is looking equally dodgy.

Coverage of both Venezuela and Thai riots is much lower in the UK, though.

binners

Everyone knows that stuff like this gets reported in a sliding scale of importance directly linked to the skin tone of the people involved

See also: the importance of death league table

Junkyard
    Free Member

how much gas and oil have they got Cpt

Just trying to work out how much to care

shermer75
    Free Member

See also Bangkok which is looking equally dodgy.
    Coverage of both Venezuela and Thai riots is much lower in the UK, though.

I imagine that’s a result of the European involvement with this one.

shermer75
    Free Member

how much gas and oil have they got Cpt

Just trying to work out how much to care

Venezuela has one of the largest oil reserves in the world

binners

I thought they were all commies in Venezuela?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFS6cP9auDc&src_vid=rw7xT_HsEKc&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_1375755733[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘The Ukraine – where will it all end?’ is closed to new replies.