Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 428 total)
  • The Tour Divide 2016 thread
  • faustus

It’s about to begin! Dot watching and general race discussion starts here. Follow the dots here:

http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide16

Lots of interesting entrants this year, including STWs Greg May, Mike Hall gunning for a record, Josh Kato, and possibly Guy Martin.

jekkyl

Greg reports a pre-start position at Banf, as does Mike Hall. No sign in from Guy Martin yet.

everyone
    Free Member

Guy might not be racing with a spot tracker. Can’t imagine why he wouldn’t do though!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Can’t imagine why he wouldn’t do though!”

He’s pretty famous you know. Perhaps he just wants to get away without a mob at every town.

The TT is a premier international event on the motorbike scene.

trail_rat
    Free Member

anyway as reported on the other thread taken over from bearbones, gregs bike was delayed and they were shuttled to banff once it arrived.

the ugly bike has started already and iirc expects to be passed on day 4 was it he said ?

andyg1966

Rob Colliver is underway, started yesterday. Hes doing it as an ITT and has done 140miles in his first day.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Do we think Mr Martin will be using a non de steed?

trail_rat
    Free Member

guys on a fargo according to twitter…. with a rohloff and minimal baggage

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m hoping Guy will switch on at the start line – what’s Terrahawks real name?

monksie
    Free Member

Trevor Hork. He has a lisp.

jekkyl

terrahawk isn’t riding.

trail_rat
    Free Member

terrahawks off to sri lanka instead to get chased by elephants and tigers.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ah – ok, ta.

& whys Rob set off on an ITT when he could do a grand depart? i’m guessing its his personal preference that just happens to coincide with the grand depart. To win – do you have to be on the Grand depart start line?

jekkyl

I think if you were planning an itt then a day or two before would be great. You’ll have the leaders coming past you for a chat.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no and no .

cant see the leaders stopping for much of a chat. if you have been caught up after a few days your moving MUCH slower than they are.

EG – day 1 Grand depart riders will do 200 miles on day 1.

how ever it has been touted by other people leaving just before grand departs that their reason is that they want to feel included in the event and not just slip to the back of trackleaders out of the minds of those watching the sharp end. Their own mini race if you will.

but i think robs had snow and fire diverts on a previous attempt and believes this is his best window of opportunity.

jekkyl

who said anything about stopping for a chat? I’d be reckoning rob might speed up a little to say hello, even if only for a minute or likewise they may slow up. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

So… if you don’t have to be on the Grand depart start line & don’t have to have a spot tracker…. could Guy Martin already be racing it???

trail_rat
    Free Member

Could be but i figure it would be at a disadvantage to do so.

the blue dot watchers that hold open the mountain top lodges etc till late into the night for a blue dot arrival etc.

depends why he is there though. personal journey it would be pretty awesome imo.

figure of speech – stop , slow down etc i just cant see it happening when they are traveling at a much faster pace and gunning for the lead.

miketually
    Free Member

Looking forward to following this again this year.

shaggy

Greg’s bike has turned up at last.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats good news. many likes Shaggy.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Just seen this pic

miketually
    Free Member

Greg’s bike has turned up at last.

Proof

miketually
    Free Member

Is the grand depart at 4pm our time?

Edit: just spotted the countdown on the tracker page: 3pm

whitestone
    Free Member
    qwerty
    Free Member

Hmmm, maybe Guys under an alias Spot Tracker… all the benefits of a tracker without the faff of fan stalking…

jekkyl

Good point qwerty. Someone with Greg’s number text him and ask if he has seen guy there.

allthepies
    Free Member

And, we’re off!

cinnamon_girl

Wow, what an experience. Good luck all. 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I assume if Guy is doing it, there will be a TV crew tagging along ?

miketually
    Free Member
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Again?

BillOddie

I think Greg has stopped for coffee and pancakes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

his tracker wont have gone bing yet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I assume if Guy is doing it, there will be a TV crew tagging along ?

Novel idea, he might just be doing it as an ordinary person for fun? It’s not exactly an expensive undertaking (compared to renting a warehouse and building a massive wall of death for example) so maybe doesn’t want/need a TV crew following him in return for footing the bill.

Also, dunno if the TD is the same but TV crews are against the rules of the HT550 as they constitute a sag waggon. I guess because you could travel light/fast and rely on them if the excrement hits the fan, so even if you never use them you’re taking less gear (or using lighter wheels, not taking a first aid kit, etc).

NOTE: A time trial completed with friends, family or media following the ride, effectively acting as a sag-wagon, is not a true self-supported effort.

jekkyl

Perhaps if Terrahawk shows up on this thread he could enlighten us as to guy’s tracker alias (if indeed he’s riding with a tracker) but you know just for us 😉 spoiling our fun if we can’t trace his progress. 🙁

epicyclo

qwerty – Member
    Hmmm, maybe Guys under an alias Spot Tracker… all the benefits of a tracker without the faff of fan stalking…

Shouldn’t take STW long to work it out. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think jekyll has a man crush .

epicyclo

Anyone got a list of the British riders?

BillOddie

Where on earth is Mike Hall going?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 428 total)

The topic ‘The Tour Divide 2016 thread’ is closed to new replies.