Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • The Tories have done a jobby on me.
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Their quest to ruin the country has now hit too close to home.

This xenophobic right wing BNP-esque nonsense about immigration caps has now left me with a girlfriend in tears. She’s american, here on a student visa which will expire when she graduates in a few months. She’s fallen in love with the country, doesn’t enjoy living in the States and the UK is now where she calls home, and has previously welcomed her with open arms.

Now they’ve dredged up this “they’ll take our jobs” nonsense that will be the scurge of our country. The UK is what it is because of its multi cultural society with people from all over the world being allowed to pass in relatively easily. They do jobs we can’t, but some of them just want to call it home.

I hate this government.

I hate all the misguided, foolish, ignorant people who voted for them.

I hate the closed mindedness that has led to this situation.

I’m rapidly starting to hate the whole country for suddenly becoming so unpleasant a place to live in the last 6 months.

They will ruin everything. The NHS, the Forests, the Industry, the Railways, the country’s safety (anyone notice the cuts to flood defences today) and destroy the poor whilst allowing the rich to carry on as normal.

Has anyone got any advice on what options there are for her being allowed to stay? She’s considering a master’s which would give another year but beyond that we’re not sure how employable she is. I know when I was in Australia my housemate found himself in the situation of being left no option to marry his girlfriend of 3 years because he apparently lacked any “useful” skills and the relationship til it was under holy matrimony was not a good enough excuse.

(I’m loathe to use the words end rant because I don’t really find it funny enough…)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Will marrying her fix it?

druidh
    Free Member

Seriously? Have you been going around with your eyes closed for the past 20 years? The UK hasn’t changed that much in 6 months.

You want an idea? Canvass for the SNP and independence – they’ve already said that the immigration cap is stupid and will affect economic recovery in Scotland.

Meanwhile, what job was she planning to do that can’t be done by someone already living here?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Druidh, this isn’t an open discussion. Advise or get stuffed.

She’ll be a linguist which is obviously a job someone British could do.

Charlie- marriage couldn’t be an option til we’ve got savings.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

That’s a bit of a rant!

It’s a **** of a lot harder for Brits to get visas or permission to reside in the United States than vice versa.

You seem to think that this is a new phenomenon, it isn’t.
    A friend of mine experienced similar heartbreak when the Labour government refused to let his pregnant girlfriend (white Zimbabwean) into the UK.

Their argument was that he had spent too much time outside of the UK over the preceding five years. Fair enough right?

Well, not really. He had been outside of the UK for extended periods of time due to the fact that he was an officer in a British Army infantry battalion.

I voted Tory and will do so again. I’m genuinely sorry to hear about your girlfriend and I hope that matters will be resolved, but your rant is way off the mark.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A touch melodramatic.

This is not new in the last few months but has been building for decades due to the xenophobia of the press.

My advise – relax and wait for the detail of the immigration cap. It will not be any major change I bet.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

??

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Furthermore, like practically any policy that British governments of whatever flavour attempt to introduce, they’ll delay it, make a hash of it, then shelve it when the next eye-catching initiative comes along.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Aye, probably a bit too OTT. Just a bit of a vent that’s been building up for a while and having a woman cry at you when things are so very much beyond your control isn’t nice.

I’m aware it’s nothing new, like I say I witnessed my housemate having the same issues and battling with the government for many months.

Charlie- we’d have to get some real money together before doing marriage.

khani
    Free Member

I remember the last time the torys were in, a leopard dos’nt change it’s spots, but give it enough time and people forget what one looks like….and get eaten, again.
    In a few years people will forget how incompetent labour were, and they’ll get another go at F Messing it up

druidh
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member
    Druidh, this isn’t an open discussion. Advise or get stuffed.

You posted it on an internet forum, so it’s actually completely open. The comments following mine back mine up.

I’ll not expect an apology though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

You love the girl but won’t get married as you have no savings? What a load of bull! If you love her propose, otherwise stop pretending.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I am sorry I got a bit shirty, and I know you’re on their side, but for me it’s been a fairly big change having this new government and it seems like one bit of bad news after another and I think I’ve snapped.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, for advice, i’d say marry her. On the cheap, just the legal formality. You don’t nee pots of moeny for that.

rs
    Free Member

Charlie- we’d have to get some real money together before doing marriage.

registry office, pizza hut for dinner, if its your only option…

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

We could. It’s floating around anyway and we could always do it properly later. Not sure if we’re there yet but if it’s what we have to do we may.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

……refused to let his pregnant girlfriend (white Zimbabwean) into the UK.

……he was an officer in a British Army infantry battalion.

Is he white British ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member

I am sorry I got a bit shirty, and I know you’re on their side, but for me it’s been a fairly big change having this new government and it seems like one bit of bad news after another and I think I’ve snapped.

Ah what its like to be young 🙂 – isn’t there some quote about youth and feeling tragedies – or am I just old and cynical?

Seriously just chill – it won’t be so bad as all that I bet.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

– or am I just old and cynical?

If you are Cynic-al, then that’s some serious Schizophrenia you’ve got going on there!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Aye TJ is right, it might seem like a lot right now, but in a couple of years, you’ll have forgotten all about her. Either that or you’ll spend your life lost and lonely.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

white Zimbabwean

WTF has her colour got to do with owt? She’s a Zimbabwean. White Black Brown or purple with orange spots, colour is irrelevant in this context.

Yeah I don’t get that either. Surely it’s only a few quid to have a Registry Office do.

druidh
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Aye TJ is right, it might seem like a lot right now, but in a couple of years, you’ll have forgotten all about her. Either that or you’ll spend your life lost and lonely.

Ouch!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it won’t be so bad as all that I bet.

So you’ve been lying about the Tories then ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats not what I meant to either of you
    * mutters*

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Aye. Hopefully it’ll work out.

Had a look at the numbers and it’s cut the chances of staying on a work visa by 2/3s.

Hairychested
    Free Member

We were skint so got married at the RO, went for a meal at a pancake place and got royally drunk at a local pub. Cheap, fun, properly bonkers. Why would you want to spend a lot? You’ll need money when a sprog or two pop out but that’s another story.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

……refused to let his pregnant girlfriend (white Zimbabwean) into the UK.

……he was an officer in a British Army infantry battalion.

Is he white British ?

Saffa, dual citizenship though.

Took 3 years to resolve.

NZCol

You’re shirking your responsibilities in not marrying her if it that means that much to you.

I’d also throw in the angle that the state is ‘all-watching’ and she has to dress up in that funky bedroom gear and do some despiciable acts for you to support her immigration application.

Just saying like.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

We DO really like pizza hut stuffed crusts. Heck, if we were to get married we could splash out and have one each…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

May I be the first to ask for pics?

andy7t2
    Free Member

i’ll marry your girlfriend for a small fee or your bike, i don’t mind a low cost wedding

email in profile and available this weekend

ps is she fit

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member
    khani
    Free Member

Tj is cynic-al 😯 the old double login ploy eh, good persona bad persona, but which is which?
    In a perverse way it explains a lot
    Igmc

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Bike or woman is not a fair call.

(As an aside, I have a mate who was doing the rude things with his woman and she asked “who do you love?” and he said his bike)

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ll do you a massive discount on wedding photography IF you get married on a tandem / any other BSO.

Joking apart ( I wasn’t, and I will) I very nearly married a lovely American girl when her student visa ran out many years ago – she’s now happily married to someone else, as am I.

Sorry, not helpful (unless you get married on a tandem).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Saffa, dual citizenship though.

Took 3 years to resolve.

I’m still wondering what relevance his GFs colour has…

wheelz
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    I’m still wondering what relevance his GFs colour has…

Nobody asked his girlfriend’s colour.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sham wedding is no solution.

And I have to warn you, there is a special hotline which concerned citizens can phone if they suspect dodgy nuptials.

……..it’s all part of Dave’s “Big Society/let’s all get involved/grass people up” extravaganza

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I think if I even suggested something bike related at the wedding I would get thrown across the Atlantic myself…

Ernie- it’d not be a sham, it’s something we’ve talked about anyway, it’d just be a bit sooner than expected.

pitduck
    Free Member

khani,nail,head,again,how soon we forget 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘The Tories have done a jobby on me.’ is closed to new replies.