Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 197 total)
  • the thread for negative views about remembrance
  • bloodynora
    Free Member

Its ok cobrakai, he prefers his ‘trained killers’ to wear balaclavas 😉

cobrakai

As I’ve already pointed out, I don’t have a problem with people not taking part in rememberance, just don’t disrespect those who do.

Which you did with that remark. Still hiding…

Junkyard
    Free Member

This log on is actually me, or the closest I can get to being me without expressing myself the way I would like to but would be banned by folk like you,

You think STW are like me I am sure they are as surprised by that insight as I am. I dont ban anyone and would have most of the banned folk back FWIW

abusing as is so often the case by the left, the basic right of expression gifted to us by those we would remember.

Pretty sure they would be surprised to be called lefties who oppress free speech as well but hey you keep trying to endear yourself to them and sneak under the ban hammer- I cant see why this approach wont work

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rudebwoy
    Free Member

The fact that you consider criticism as abuse exactly defines you and your kind.

is that a mirror i see before me ?

why does the idea of inquiring into the futility of war so upset some people ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Its ok cobrakai, he prefers his ‘trained killers’ to wear balaclavas

Eh?

Feel free to expand on this if you’d like to.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles.
    George Jean Nathan

you can keep quoting people more intelligent than yourself to bolster your argument if you like. Would you like me to go and find some to support my thoughts?

As an internationalist i wish to see solidarity with my fellow humans, those who do not exploit others,

I would like to see that too, but I think that that begins with patriotism. If we can’t unite as a country how can we possibly hope to unite as a planet?

I’m going to stop using the word patriotism, because obviously it has a negative connotation of jingoism that cannot be overlooked by some people here, so I’ll use the word unity instead. Because if we can’t unite as a nation, we can never hope to be any better than we are now. That includes embracing the military as our defenders, and kicking all the btards out of government until we can elect people who listen to us, and want to help others.

I’m oot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Still hiding…

Nope. Still here…and happily standing by my comment. What about it do you find so “disrespectful”? Perhaps if you explain why it upsets you so much…

andyruss
    Free Member

Donk l remember them because f what we shared. Something l hope you never have to. If you read my posts l make it quite clear how l feel about war and yes your right we should remember all who have fallen.

Junkyard
    Free Member

nukeproof unity makes more sense but viewing ones country as ace make it hard to be unified – as i said earlier those most likely to be fighting are the patriotic ones on both sides “protecting” their country.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

military are the defenders of the state,not sure if you were around in the seventies with the three day week, military on stand by, or when fire fighters were in dispute– the green godesses nonsense– but the bottom line is they are the last option of the state to preserve the status quo..

stevewhyte
    Free Member

mikey3 – Member
    Wow you muppets will turn anything into a bickerfest.Funny though and a little sad tbh.

That about sums up this thread.

cobrakai

I’m not going to get into this, I genuinely have better things to do with my time but if you are honest and in no way being a keyboard warrior even you will admit there was a mocking tone to your “trained killers” comment.

If you deny it you won’t have to argue the case as everyone on this forum will see straight through you.

wayniac
    Free Member

4 pages of sh#t

CountZero

in fact a good many british soldiers have died in wars in an attempt to limit the liberty of others.

Which ones were those, then. Just curious, like. I can think of the few who joined the Nazis to fight against the Allies, but I’m really struggling to think of any conflicts where British troops have fought to limit the freedom of oppressed people.
    Oh, and the snarky ‘trained killers’ remark is so disingenuous; far more people join the Services in rôles where killing is most definitely not on the agenda. My step-brother was in the Falklands, helping to protect the islanders from an aggressive invasion. His job? Well, he was a Chief Petty Officer. In charge of catering. He also had his ship sunk underneath him by a 500lb Argentinian bomb.
    Who’s liberty was he nearly drowned trying to limit?
    A clear explanation would be nice.

dannyh
    Free Member

patriotism is a close relative of nationalism, both are used to divide and rule.

Internationalism is a close relative of communism. Not that communism has much of a track record either (that comment is as sensible or stupid as yours – depending on your point of view).

If you want to chuck around bad examples how about the ‘proleterian state’ as espoused by Mao – thirty million dead in the Great Leap Forward before a change of heart – after being hidden by censoring censuses. All because of dogma and letting theory determine practice.

The ‘system’ we currently have is an accident of history – mostly just by default, but also because of the wreckage of people who thought thew knew best (on the left and the right).

Stephen Fry goes on about religion and said on QI “s**t it all”. He’s a clever bloke, and a lot of people lap up everything he says – but how can he be sure that, overall, religion hasn’t been a brake on the excesses of humans? Just being ‘alternative’ isn’t enough – you need to actually know what you would do differently. Otherwise it’s all just talk.

crikey
    Free Member

you can keep quoting people more intelligent than yourself to bolster your argument if you like. Would you like me to go and find some to support my thoughts?

Find some people more intelligent than you? Not exactly going to take all night is it?

You’re the one who brought up the idea that we should be valuing patriotism. You did it without really thinking it through, perhaps, as noted, because this current internet persona hasn’t quite bedded in yet.

Who knows.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you deny it you won’t have to argue the case as everyone on this forum will see straight through you.

I see what you’re doing there. Tell you what, you’ve backed me right into a corner now – where I can’t hide behind my keyboard anymore. I’m well and truly stuffed.

However, no mocking at all. Provocation? Yes, for sure – it’s a thread for dissenters to air their views. You’re still not explaining why you’re so upset about it though. But, don’t worry, there’s no need to answer.

cobrakai

I won’t. Nite.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Crikey, i’ve got better things to do than argue with you and your inexhaustable collection of pseudo intellectual quotes all night lol.

grum
    Free Member

Which ones were those, then. Just curious, like. I can think of the few who joined the Nazis to fight against the Allies, but I’m really struggling to think of any conflicts where British troops have fought to limit the freedom of oppressed people.

Apart from our several hundred years of colonialism you mean?

Anyone wonder why Iran might be a bit paranoid about being attacked?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Soviet_invasion_of_Iran

crikey
    Free Member

I’m oot.

Then:

Crikey, i’ve got better things to do than argue with you and your inexhaustable collection of pseudo intellectual quotes all night lol.

So one can only presume that you actually haven’t got anything better to do…

LOL.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

This thread really does lower the tone of stw forum. It serves no purpose and really needs pulling.

crikey
    Free Member

It serves no purpose

Um, STW?

The whole bloody place isn’t exactly a paragon of mental productivity is it?

tazzymtb

It serves no purpose and really needs pulling.

+1

it’s like the days of pointless big s hitter arguments, ban ’em for making the forum a negative and unwelcoming place to new comers.

You lot make TJ and Elfin seen like rather fey poets!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This thread really does lower the tone of stw forum. It serves no purpose and really needs pulling.

Why?

This thread is what’s great about stw.

RichPenny
    Free Member

There are quite a few historically. Have a look at this wiki page:

History of the British Army

crikey
    Free Member

It’s important because it allows people to say things that otherwise would seem to provoke people to …shall we say extreme grumpiness…

It allows people to get what they think out in the open in a relatively safe way.

Junkyard
    Free Member

This thread really does lower the tone of stw forum. It serves no purpose and really needs pulling

I really cant ever remember you saying anything positive about stw threads or what folk say. Why do you keep coming back as you dont seem to enjoy it and you just moan and complain about it.

You lot make TJ and Elfin seen like rather fey poets!

Mr YardTazzy- you do seen excessively given to histrionics recently. is everything ok? (genuine question)

😉

rudebwoy
    Free Member

seems like an invasion of patriot ultras in the last hour or so– determined to close down something they disagree with….how noble, if you have nothing to add, go look on the threads that are more your level..

tazzymtb

cheers junky, nice to see you being a smug Charlie uniform …..again

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Woo, tazzy, I know it’s a cold Sunday but no need to be so miserable. And easy with the ad hominems. (Unless its an in joke between you)

grum
    Free Member

Let’s show how much we love freedom by silencing/banning people who don’t agree with us. 🙄

tazzy why did you even open this thread, pretty obvious what it was about and that discussion might be ‘lively’ no? It’s actually been pretty level-headed IMO, apart from a load of right-wing flag wavers calling for people to be beaten up, or made to shut up for daring not to tow the correct nationalistic tone as approved by The Sun.

bencooper
    Free Member

I come from a long line of pacifists, no-one in my family has ever fought (apart from possibly an ancestor who came over with William the Conqueror) but I think of my grandfather who was a medial orderly in North Africa and other places during WWII. He never talked about what he saw, but you can imagine.

So no, I don’t wear a poppy. I don’t want to remember British soldiers in particular, I want to remember the poor sods of any nation who died in war, military or civilian.

noteeth
    Free Member

Okay, own up – which one of you pulled this stunt? 😈

Pretty sure I’ve seen this cross-dressing skater a few times in Brizzle.

The ****.

cobrakai

I actually agree with Darcy. It’s the whole point of forums. It’s like downtown abbey. If you don’t like it, there’s always homeland on the other side. 😛

yunki
    Free Member

An emotive subject that has brought out strong feelings in all of us..

Quite why it managed to stay civilised all day and then turned sour in the evening I couldn’t say.. alcohol perhaps.. people coming home from an afternoon in the boozer..?

I’m off now.. going on holiday in the morning and need ma beauty sleep..I’ll leave you all with a final thought..

andyruss
    Free Member

Was a good op with a interesting if not questioning point of view,alas has gone down hill rapid .l’m out

wayniac
    Free Member

5 pages of sh#t

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From noteeth’s article…

As he was bundled into a police car, officers had to forcefully remove several people at the parade, who were shouting “death’s too good for you”.

You have to laugh really…

crikey
    Free Member

Where you going on holiday yunki?

I’m sure we could argue about that! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘the thread for negative views about remembrance’ is closed to new replies.