The Sufferfest….Ow…Ow…

Home Forum Bike Forum The Sufferfest….Ow…Ow…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • The Sufferfest….Ow…Ow…
  • Crell

I wanted to bring some structure to my MM10 training so I just downloaded the Sufferfest (the spiraling down) training vid. I remember reading about it last year on here so what the hell I thought.

Jesus do I feel sick and battered. I could only manage the first 30 minute cycle but it's very well put together. Although painful it's the most interesting way I've ever spent 30 minutes on the trainer, and for me 30 mins on the trainer is normally an eternity.

However if I ever see a number "16" plate on a rider's back I think I'd be likely to kill them. I just need to MTFU / FTFU is suppose now and build up to the full hour. Anyway, Β£6 well spent…I think

trail_rat

welcome – entirely normal for folk to only last 30 mins on them – just wait till your doing them back to back …. whole new level of pain !
    (something ive only done once – and not likely to repeat often)

Premier Icon Dougal
    Subscriber

If you're only managing half of one, you're going too hard. No workout should drive you to exhaustion or quitting.

TheSwede

I've just downloaded an done the CTS Train Right Citerium dvd. Jelly legs. Did the hour all though the last 8 mins is a warm down.

CaptJon

Dougal – Member
    If you're only managing half of one, you're going too hard. No workout should drive you to exhaustion or quitting.

Never done a VO2 max test?

trail_rat

i meant for the first one dougal – obviously you have no idea what to expect the first time

next time he will adjust

Crell

Well, the effort on the intervals is at 9.5/10 or 10/10 …so to me that's flat pretty close to flat out (for 1m 45 aaaaaargh!!!) or am I misunderstanding it?

In a sick way I kinda enjoyed it πŸ™‚

Am I better off trying to guage it with a HRM?

trail_rat

if your not doing with hrm – wasting time

percieved effort and actual effort are 2 different things …

last race for example – thought i was taking it easyy – checking HR data after turns out id averaged 188bpm for the last hour n half …..

Crell

off to buy a new battery for the HRM then…

So should I be doing 95% of max HR in the "9.5 / 10" effort zones?

I hope that one day I too can think I'm taking it easy at 188 BPM 😯

Cheers!

Always a tough one! I do the intervals on downward spiral as hard as I can and the HRM will follow the curve up, although the fight club is just AWESOME and I enjoy that and the music a lot more. 95% of max heart rate for those intervals is hard to do – I tend to get up to 90% of max tops, which is my case us 185bpm. Then again, if you feel up to it, there's always the sufferfest double πŸ˜‰

surfer

Thats just brought on a flashback!

Premier Icon NZCol
    Subscriber

More blackout than flashback for me !

karnali

same problem first time outo n fight club, 2nd tiem no problem adjusted effort levels accordingly, maybe too low then third time upped them to just about spot on. love the work out previoslut i think 20 mins on the turbo was thelongest i could stand.

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

+1 for both Downward Spiral and Fight Club

Former better for crit racing – short bursts of power; latter better for longer efforts.

I shall be doing one on Thursday night (outdoor intervals tonight).

dickydutch

I love both the sufferfest films. Have also done them back to back (only the once) and very nearly saw my lunch again.
    I do think the Spinervals sessions are as tough, if not tougher though! And their session for technique and recovery is also worth a pop.
    New sufferfest out soon by the way!

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

+1, Downward Spiral is awesome, haven't downloaded Fight Club yet.

MTFU, I always feel destroyed after the first set of intervals, but there's a good long recovery after them and I'm always surprised that I'm able to pick myself up and get on with the second set. 😈

RHSno2

Is it not a little early in the year to be doing such intensive workouts? (Unless you race right now/coming months)

kevonakona

Try and get you hands on the earlier ones. "Breakaway, climb and sprint" is worse than either downward spiral or fight club IMHO. I really enjoy downward spiral.

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

Anyone got any links for the earlier ones? Not available from the site (I know they only went "commercial" from The Downward Spiral onwards).

Subscriber

Is it not a little early in the year to be doing such intensive workouts? (Unless you race right now/coming months)

It is, if the sole focus is MM (which is in June..!), but I had my first road (well, circuit) race last Sat, and I need to MTFU and do some more training if I don't want a similar kicking next week.

kevonakona

The early ones were free and i guess have been taken offline i still have them and use 'em. I think sufferfest 8 is revisiting at least one of them. Music was better in teh old ones but i think there was an issue with what music was being used.

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

if your not doing with hrm – wasting time

I'd agree with that for longer/steadier efforts, but The Downward Spiral is "go hard as you can until you puke or they tell you to stop" short intervals. HRM not so relevant for that. TBH, I think I'd struggle to be able to focus well enough to read the display!

Premier Icon Dougal
    Subscriber

Several, but they drive you to exhaustion as a testing measure, not for training.

Premier Icon dot
    Subscriber

ourmaninthenorth as you are now on my team for MM I want you to start doing the Sufferfests back to back from Thursday please πŸ™‚

trail_rat

Breakaway, climb and sprint

glad i wasnt the only one that thought that was tougher than the new ones !

kevonakona

Steve drop me a line i might be able to help you out. 😈

daveh

Did sufferfest on Sat followed immediately by a 3 mile run. Lets just say it was somewhat of a struggle, I think it was getting on for 11 minute miling!

CaptJon

Dougal – Member
    Several, but they drive you to exhaustion as a testing measure, not for training.

Is the test not part of training?

trail_rat

woooooah – a bus just pulled up , destination pedantsville

CaptJon

Single, please.

Crell

I'm not a serious racer by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought (wrongly?) that intervals would bring a bit of structure to my time on the trainer. I'll do a couple of road sportives, and possibly D2D as well this year but I'm a weekend warrior at best.

So are you (collectively) suggesting that I shouldn't even bother with this type of training, or that I'm just way too early for it?

If nothing else, won't it help me MTFU and build some pain tollerance as well as the ability to put in bursts of sustained effort on my normal riding?

Cheers!

MikeWW

The sufferfest vids are perfect for this time of year. Just make sure you get some endurance work in alongside it

uponthedowns

Nothing wrong with getting a bit of intensity done over the winter. That's what I'm doing and my goals are much the same as yours. Traditionalists would say that you should be doing long slow rides this time of year to build an aerobic base but, come on, with the winter we've had is that really an option? I get bored easily on the turbo so long slow sessions are not an option. This winter I've been doing interval sessions to build up my functional threshold power. Its worked and out on the road I feel stronger that I ever have at this time of year- just need to build up distance now.

Coaches like Chris Carmichael have training programmes built on 6 hrs riding a week concentrating on interval training and its as effective as traditional training but the periods of peak performance peaks are shorter.

trail_rat

winter was fine this year – would like to think i got a good base in me

ive started sufferfesting(did i ever really stop – i just toned them down a bit) – seasons only a couple weeks away from starting – need some speed in the legs to build on …

Subscriber

dot – yes boss..! πŸ˜€

If it's any consolation, I did a hard 2 hour interval session on the road tonight and just managed to keep down the bread roll I ate before I went out. Obviously not trying hard enough..! πŸ˜‰

RHSno2

Sick Puppies! πŸ˜‰

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘The Sufferfest….Ow…Ow…’ is closed to new replies.