Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 295 total)
  • The Suarez nearest the bull ban length game
  • binners

And given that said clubs make millions from their sponsors, I doubt many will be wanting to be seeing him with their names emblazoned across his kit

johndoh
    Free Member

I am especially glad of this outcome given all those surrounding the Uruguayan national team defending him and accusing others of having agendas and claiming pictures were Photoshopped.

muggomagic

I saw earlier that since august 2010 he’s been suspended for a total of 34 matches and not once been shown a red card.

binners

Perhaps they could all wear matching T-shirts sporting his image when they come out for the next match, as a sign of solidarity for their persecuted brother 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps you should design them 😉

binners

*fires up the Mac*

As a serious note though; that whole t-shirt ‘he’s not a racist’ business left King Kenny looking like a prize plum, and I’d imagine Brendan Rodgers is presently feeling more than a tad miffed that he’s been left looking a fool for all the support he’s given him, only to have it thrown back in his face.

With that track record, what manager is going to want him on his squad now? Goal scoring prowess or not. Given his apparently limitless potential for leaving you looking like a right tool!

muggomagic

Unfortunately they are a little like women that date playerz…. They will think they can change him.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Remember – this is the PFA player of the year we’re talking about here. I love the stunts that he pulls.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Every single manager in any league would still want him playing for them. He scores goals, goals win games. I don’t agree with the logic but this is football.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Indeed, it will all blow over eventually, although I’m pretty certain he will now go to Spain for a cut price £75m. It would have been around £90m before the bite!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

With that track record, what manager is going to want him on his squad now?

This is football you are talking about binners. There’s not a manager in the premiership that wouldn’t have him.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners his goals nearly won the PL for Liverpool, they knew he had that potential impact which is largely why they overlooked his racist / biting tendancies. They knew he was a biter when they signed him. As others have posted pretty much any club would gladly have him and try to manage the biting fall out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

they overlooked his racist / biting tendancies

Had he had previous for racism?

D0NK

I find it sad that companies are using this as an opportunity for advertisement.

Ad men thought a double leg amputee shooting his girlfriend was worthy of pisstaking/exploitation FFS, do you think they are going to show any restraint over 1 footballer with anger management issues nibbling another?

I think Bill Hicks may have had a point

D0NK

Given his apparently limitless potential for leaving you looking like a right tool!

wasn’t there a city player who kept screwing up off the pitch, did he get dropped for embarrassment or did they keep him on/sell at a profit?

Professional football doesn’t seem (as an ignorant outsider) the most moral/altruistic/shining example of businesses

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Professional football doesn’t seem (as an ignorant outsider) the most moral/altruistic/shining example of businesses

I think how outraged/apoplectic/tumescent/aroused one gets depends a lot on the team for which the offending player plays and how you feel about that team.

martinhutch

wasn’t there a city player who kept screwing up off the pitch, did he get dropped for embarrassment or did they keep him on/sell at a profit?

Which one? There are so many…

binners

You can’t compare Suarez to Super Mario. He was, and still is, a total nut job, who was pretty handy on the pitch. But he’s genuinely, naively funny, and quite charming with it, whereas Suarez is just a thoroughly unpleasant human being

Randomly giving out money to strangers in Manchester city centre, entering random pubs and buying everyone a drink, setting fire to your house while letting off fireworks from your bathroom window, then turning up on spec to ask for a tour of a women’s prison, is quite a bit different from racially abusing the opposition, then repeatedly sinking your teeth into people for no apparent reason, all while being thoroughly unapologetic for it all. If you wanted a suitable comparison, then the delightful and charming John Terry at Chelsea might be better. Another player thought of with warmth and affection throughout the land

jambalaya
    Free Member

@deadlarcy – I meant they didn’t sell him on after the Evra ban

Guardian reporting that Suarez is not allowed to train with Liverpool under the terms of the ban. Interesting that meeting between players lawyers and club is in Barcelona

Grauniad

MSP

Randomly giving out money to strangers in Manchester city centre, entering random pubs and buying everyone a drink, setting fire to your house while letting off fireworks from your bathroom window, then turning up on spec to ask for a tour of a women’s prison

And lets not forget the time his mum came to visit, and sent him out to buy some cleaning supplies, and he came back in hire van containing two mopeds and a trampoline.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Interviews with Liverpool fans on the BBC were hilarious, still supporting him like this wasn’t a big deal.

Strange people.

MSP

Interviews with Liverpool fans on the BBC were hilarious, still supporting him like this wasn’t a big deal.

Strange people.

I think there is a reasonable case to be made that while Suarez’s actions are rather pathetic and embarrassing, there were more dangerous and violent actions even in that match. There has been a lack of perspective in the screaming moral outrage being made by many and lead by the media.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fair point, well made.

But all of that angst on the pitch is normal, so is deemed normal, biting isn’t normal.

binners

Strange people.

Its the persecution complex. They can’t see past it. Alan Hanson said this morning on 5 Live that he should be told he has one absolute last chance, then thats it!

It was then pointed out to him that that was exactly what he said the last time it happened. 🙄

*sits back and awaits yet another angry response, by text or email, from Liverpool Fayns* 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

@ MSP spitting in your face is not very dangerous either
    Neither are the myriad of “headbuts” you see.
    No one is saying he endangered anyone they are saying is that he deliberately bit someone for the THIRD TIME.

I think only Urugayians and Liverpool fas are defending/minimising this.

DD is right some are using tribal football reasons to attack him but he has issues with his anger/frustration.

MSP

@ MSP spitting in your face is not very dangerous either
    Neither are the myriad of “headbuts” you see.
    No one is saying he endangered anyone they are saying is that he deliberately bit someone for the THIRD TIME.

Exactly other rather unpleasant and pathetic but ultimately harmless actions that get moral outrage frothing over the top. Even when Roy Keane admitted deliberately breaking another players leg (although he later retracted his admission when he realised how stupid he had been in making it) there was far less outrage displayed.

D0NK

You can’t compare Suarez to Super Mario.

Yeah I think that was the guy, wasn’t directly comparing their acts merely pointing out the high embarrassment factor not (afaik) leading to getting rid of a “handy” player.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

There has been a lack of perspective in the screaming moral outrage being made by many and lead by the media.

He’s a repeat offender of a particularly heinous form of assault – I don’t know why you can’t understand this?

I say assault but you know what I mean. The point is he’s got previous for biting – 3 times now & there’s no place for that in sport. PERIOD.

binners

Even when Roy Keane admitted deliberately breaking another players leg (although he later retracted his admission when he realised how stupid he had been in making it) there was far less outrage displayed.

While theres no way I’d endorse Keane’s behaviour (who’s also a pretty unpleasant individual), his actions involved what he considered revenge, in a spat that had history going back some time between the two of them. Also… he didn’t repeat it three times.

The mystifying thing about the racist chompers behaviour is that its not like it was targeting someone who’d been rattling in heavy challenges on him all game. Or like Keane, someone who’d injured him in a previous game. His victim/lunch appeared to be selected entirely at random. Same as last time. And thats just weird!

Junkyard
    Free Member

MSP I am not agreeing with you 🙄
    I dont think anyone can call being bitten or spat at “ultimately harmless” and well done for managing to have a go at a Man U player when we are discussing Suarez.

FWIW he should have done time for that IMHO

Offers pathetic defence because he played for a team i support

His behaviour is indefensible unless you support one of the teams he plays for …even then you need to have a word with yourself as your “loyalty” has broken your moral compass.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners – I think he just get’s wound up and cracks. He was getting the (to be expected) rough treatment from the Italian defenders all match and Uruguay where going out at 0-0 and they couldn’t make the 11 vs 10 men pay. He was getting the normal jostle for position and he just flipped out.

I also imagine Liverpool told him “absolutely last chance” last time.

I wonder what his contract says about being paid his wages if he’s banned.

dragon
    Free Member

But Suarez isn’t an embarrassment to Liverpool he is a disgrace. Liverpool’s defence of him was awful last time, but then they do have a weird persecution complex.

Suarez and Gerrard both leave the world cup with their reputations ruined.

Still there are always winners in these situations and I bet Rickie Lambert is enjoying a celebratory drink tonight.

theotherjonv

It’s a tricky one. As has been said, on here and elsewhere (by no less of a paragon of virtue than joey Barton for one), biting someone is nowhere near as dangerous as some of the other stuff that happens such as over the ball leg breaking tackles. However, there’s something so deeply taboo / disgusting about it, and spitting, that really causes such a response.

I mean you could call verbal abuse the same – doesn’t cause any physical harm, and most players will have seen and experienced it enough times that they are relatively immune to it – but when racist abuse arises, then it again stirs a huge outrage.

The problem is not that biting, and spitting, and abuse are overpunished in comparison to physical offences; it’s that the physical offences are underpunished. To many people there’s a fine dividing line between an ‘honest’ British / PL style challenge that causes serious injury, and a malicious one. That’s where i think we need a review panel of ex-players who are far more likely to know that a tackle was deliberate in its attempt to cause injury, and start handing out bans like the Suarez one for those offences too. 3 games is far too short for someone who has deliberately set out to injure a fellow professional in a way that has the potential make them lose their livelihood and all they’ve ever known and worked for in an instant.

theocb
    Free Member

I agree with MSP’s point.

Completely over the top moral outrage.
    Sportsman gets frustrated and reacts in a silly childish manner while playing a silly childish game with lot’s of other silly childish sportsman. End of.

The ban seems fair.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sportsman gets frustrated and reacts in a silly childish manner….

Good point.

…while playing a silly childish game with lot’s of other silly childish sportsman. End of.

Oh. It was going so well 😥

theocb
    Free Member

To clarify. All sports are silly and childish (doesn’t stop me loving many of them :oops:)

DrJ

According to the Grauniad, Liverpool are consulting their lawyers with a view to an appeal. FFS, he has got off pretty lightly. If you insist on employing such a deplorable specimen, at least take your punishment without whining!

binners

Amen to that theotherjonv

Could we get you running the FA please?

Sportsman gets frustrated and reacts in a silly childish manner while playing a silly childish game with lot’s of other silly childish sportsman. End of.

Perhaps if certain individuals hadn’t been indulged like spoilt children in the past, and constantly allowed to do whatever they like without criticism from their doting parents manager, their behaviour might have changed by now…

MSP

I am not defending Suarez, and I don’t support Liverpool or Uruguay, I am questioning the legitimacy of the outrage being displayed. It reminds me of the rugbyists taking the moral high ground while ignoring the stomping, raking and eye gouging in their own sport.

He’s a repeat offender of a particularly heinous form of assault

What is so particularly heinous about it? It is pretty minor, just rather pathetic and unexpected. Honestly please explain it to me, what makes this so much worse than anything else?

martinhutch

According to the Grauniad, Liverpool are consulting their lawyers with a view to an appeal. FFS, he has got off pretty lightly. If you insist on employing such a deplorable specimen, at least take your punishment without whining!

It’s probably the reverse of what you say. If the deplorable specimen is free to play domestic football, they can de-employ him for considerably more. If a successful appeal could be worth £20-30m extra in transfer fees, it’s worth a stab, isn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 295 total)

The topic ‘The Suarez nearest the bull ban length game’ is closed to new replies.