Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • The Suarez Evra thing rumbling on.
  • davidjones15
    Free Member

Suarez’s defence was that in his culture, the word “negro” has no racist connotations

Do you believe that there is no racism in his culture? If it does, how do you think it manifests itself?

DaddyPig
    Free Member

Again. “I kicked you because you are black”…

That’s it isn’t it??

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Suarez and Evra are well known best of buddies, you could see it written all over their faces in the intial incident. So obviously it was a term of endearment. Keep up warton.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    voodoo_chile

IT MEANS….. MAN UTD GET TREATED DIFFERENT WHEN IN FRONT OF THE FA AND SUAREZ AS RIGHT NOT TO SHAKE HIS HAND
    IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH

warton
    Free Member

Voodoo chile, why was he right not to shake his hand?

rudedog
    Free Member

DaddyPig – Member
    Again. “I kicked you because you are black”…

That’s it isn’t it??

Thats was Evra’s version, not Suarez’s.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Erm – because Suarez does not believe that he did anything wrong, was unjustly banned and has had his reputation ruined.

warton
    Free Member

How is that Evras fault?
    He complained about being abused racially by Saurez, Saurez admitted it and he got banned.

So you think he shouldn’t shake Evras hand because he racially abused him, and Evra had the cheek to complain about it? Interesting view.

beagle
    Free Member

I am flabbergasted people are actually attempting to defend Suarez in any way. Despite not particularly liking Liverpool, I’ve always admired the history, tradition of a big club. That’s slowly eroding away and I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking that.

KK and a fair amout of the support who are blindly following his lead are behaving distinctly small time. Perhaps A Galtieri/thatcheresque diversion from Kenny to distract people from problems on the home front? If so, it’s working.

voodoo_chile

Evra is trouble, remember chelsea groundstaff,french national squad loves to be in the middle of aggro all the time

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The simple thing that people are missing is that Suarez did not admit racially abusing Evra. There is no evidence to support it other than one mans word against another.

For example – Warton – you just emailed me calling me p****. Try and disprove it.

warton
    Free Member

Warton – you just emailed me calling me p****. Try and disprove it.

No problem, I’ll get my email records from my ISP. simple…

The simple thing that people are missing is that Suarez did not admit racially abusing Evra

He did though, you said so a few posts back.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Go on then – get your email records from your isp. But then again you might have used another connection, only a fool would send abusive email from their own connection right….

No I did not say that he admitted racially abusing Evra – he used the spanish word “negro” in a conversation in spanish. That is not racist abuse.

warton
    Free Member

No I did not say that he admitted racially abusing Evra – he used the spanish word “negro” in a conversation in spanish. That is not racist abuse.

In an argument, not a conversation. Big difference IMO. I understand that it may not be a racial insult in his country, but his country has massive racism ingrained in the culture, so I take that with a pinch of salt.
    Also, because he doesn’t deem it to be racist doesn’t mean other people don’t, and won’t take offence to it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

In an argument, not a conversation. Big difference IMO. I understand that it may not be a racial insult in his country, but his country has massive racism ingrained in the culture, so I take that with a pinch of salt.
    Also, because he doesn’t deem it to be racist doesn’t mean other people don’t, and won’t take offence to it.

So does England.

Also – you still sent me an email calling me a p****. Why did you do that? 😉

warton
    Free Member

because you are 😀

davidjones15
    Free Member

When would you consider a Spanish speaker using the word negro as being racist?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nah mate – I’m certainly not a prude. 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

When would you consider a Spanish speaker using the word negro as being racist?

Dunno. Probably when they were being racist.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Something like “I kicked you because you are black”… might be considered as using the word black/negro/negrito in a racist way then?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is your knowledge of uruguayan culture and language good enough to make that judgement?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Probably better than yours having lived among Spanish and South Americans, I would say yes. It’s more likely that Suarez sees racism as acceptable as he has been a victim of it in the past.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I didnt ask if it was better than mine. I asked if you were qualified to make a judgement on this issue. I have lived amongst South Americans also, doesnt mean that I speak any of the language though.

As a Liverpool fan, I wish Suarez would just let his football do the talking. All this controversy that’s following him around is bad for him, and more importantly, bad for one of the world’s greatest clubs.

As for the racism – only Suarez can say what cultural meaning he applied when he called Suarez a negro. Not defending him at all, but if it’s OK for rappers to repeatedly call each other “niggaz” and it not be deemed racist, then there’s obviously an argument that cultural differences can be relevant.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Hablo Español, comprendo perfectamente bien que significa negrito, macho.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

He didnt say negrito though now did he….

But please tell me what negrito means anyway.

davidjones15
    Free Member

What an odd thing to say, I guess I understand how the Spanish word negro is used and how racism appears in Spanish day to day life, but if you don’t wish to learn from other’s experiences, I can’t do any more.

aracer
    Free Member

Looking forward to tonights MOTD to be fair.

I suspect you might not enjoy it quite as much as you’re expecting, trolling. On the intro to the news they just showed a clip from the angle of the photo which you seem to claim proves your version of events – the first video I’ve seen from that angle. As a complete neutral (I’m very definitely not a MU fan), I’d suggest it’s quite clear from that who’s avoiding shaking who’s hand.

DaddyPig
    Free Member

Shall we start a new thread for Terry or tag on to the end of this one!?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What an odd thing to say, I guess I understand how the Spanish word negro is used and how racism appears in Spanish day to day life, but if you don’t wish to learn from other’s experiences, I can’t do any more.

But spain isnt uruguay…

mashiehood
    Free Member

Yet we all watch blazing saddles and have a good chuckle 🙄

davidjones15
    Free Member

But spain isnt uruguay…

It is considerably closer in terms of experience having had friends from Uruguay than you’ve had, yet you appear to want to demonstrate that you know all about using the Spanish word negro in a non racist way.
    Is this an example of an STWer trying to sound smart while talking crap. You are a queer little chap.

Junkyard
    Free Member

. I have lived amongst South Americans also

Did you visit a zoo with them ?
    BS be BS 🙄
    LOL

If you really wish to argue that Suarez called him a negro whilst nipping him in an attempt to calm him down and defuse a hostile situation then obviously a well reasoned argument wont persuade you. FFS a child can tell a better lie that that

ps

215. It was accepted by both Mr Greaney and Mr McCormick in closing submissions that this is
    not simply a case of one person’s word against another.
    the actual report and Suarez’s legal team accepting it is not just one person word against another

FWIW he displayed exemplary self restraint today in the face of Evras taunts at the end

Sad incident off which the constant apologists and non acceptance has shamed a trully great club

cheburashka
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw[/video]

muggomagic

if Suarez genuinely feels he’s done nothing wrong (then IMO he’s a racist tool) then I can understand him not wanting to shake his accusers hand, but he has left Liverpool and in particular Dalglish with egg on his face after the statements earlier in the week.. Got that wrong then Kenny

I think the worst thing that happened in the game today was Suarez reaction at half time when he got all worked up and kicked the ball into the dug out, Valencia tapped him on the shoulder to say what do you think you’re doing and Suarez starts wiping away at his shirt where Valencia had touched him.

imnotverygood

I can’t help but feel that despite the fact that SBZ’s arguments are cogent, rational & compelling they are just slightly undermined by the fact that we can all see the video for ourselves. (and read the however many pages it was report which comprehensively demolished the defence that it was all a cultural misunderstanding)

Bregante

I think the worst thing that happened in the game today was Suarez reaction at half time when he got all worked up and kicked the ball into the dug out, Valencia tapped him on the shoulder to say what do you think you’re doing and Suarez starts wiping away at his shirt where Valencia had touched him.

I spotted that on MOTD and was surprised it wasn’t commented on.

surfer
    Free Member

I think many people feel Suarez was treated at least shabbily by the FA panel regarding this and Suarez himself feels that Evra lied and as a consequence didnt want to shake his hand.
    In many ways this is at least consistent with a man who feels he is not a racist but has been portrayed as one. Evra and the media have put a mark on his career that will never go away.
    I think the media are pleased that this can now continue even though the absence of a handshake is hardly a significant event.
    What disappointed me the most was Ferguson’s reaction and I am also disappointed that it is headline news on the BBC site.
    Ferguson has presided over several similar non handshake events as well as supporting a player who assaulted a fan during a game, another who deliberately ended another players career and one who has avoided drugs tests. For Ferguson to continue to vilify Suarez simply because he refused to shake someones hand is beyond the pale.
    What next ? Manchester United make offer for Suarez ?

surfer
    Free Member

Valencia tapped him on the shoulder to say what do you think you’re doing and Suarez starts wiping away at his shirt where Valencia had touched him.

Mmm… not sure about that. I watched it over and over. Not sure if Suarez thought something had been thrown, I dont think we can tell from the pictures, he certainly did what you said but I don’t think we should look for things that aren’t there.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I’m from Scotland, so my exposure to fans of English clubs was slightly limited when I was growing up. So when I used to hear sweeping statements along the lines of “Liverpool fans whine constantly”, I never believed it. However, some of their responses to the whole Evra / Suarez thing have been UNREAL.
    Suarez is openly racist – Liverpool fans deny it, concoting weired conspiracy theories, when the FA, a QC, and pretty much the whole rest of the world can see he was plainly being racist. Liverpool fans blame Evra.
    Suarez rejects handshake – I saw the game, saw the million replays on Sky afterwards, Saurez is the one who refuses to shake hands, it’s as plain as day.
    Denying this is utterly bizarre.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘The Suarez Evra thing rumbling on.’ is closed to new replies.