Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 531 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season
  • toby1

@smokey_jo – just out of interest, what makes you think it’s the skis?

Genuine question as someone who also always hires and wonders about the condition of the skiset skis you get. This year I had a set of Rossignol 83AIs which seemed pretty good no idea which year they were from but didn’t seem to be too banged up.

smokey_jo

Mine were 3 year old Blizzard Brahmas – in a couple of places there were gouges out of the top sheet. When looking down the edges you could see gouges in them and the bottoms had plenty of scratches.

When I asked them to service them they said no but they would swap them for something else but they had very little in the shop other that very piste oriented stuff in my size and I was keen to try and progress my off-piste technique from falling over immediately to standing up for 30 seconds.

Found it hilarious when the shop assistant started inspecting them for damage when I returned them – I think she noted a raised eyebrow and said they were fine and shuffled off to put them away.

toby1

The best skis I’ve ever used came from a hire shop in Chamonix (south), whereas with normal hires you stop and just remain in a single place, these just wanted to keep on moving, all the time.

I’m torn on the purchase front as obviously ski tech ages quickly and they’d only get used for 1-2 weeks a year so it’s a lot to spend for something you then have to service and transport. But on the other hand you get used to those skis, know they are serviced and get to spec them to your skiing, or your intended skiing.

jimdubleyou

£40ish every time you want to fly with your skis (except on Swiss Air).

I think it’s been worth it for me – I like having my own board as you get used to it.

Hire boards, you never know what you’re going to get, or what’s available at the time.

bombjack
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about the ski tech becoming outdated, there was a quantum shift in ski tech about 15-20 years ago when carvers came in, now its very much incremental (and getting fatter). For reference I took out a 2012 pair of Movement Source skis last time I skied and they were far, far better than the rental stuff I tried which was new that year (2018)
    There is also something fundamentally cool about owning skis / boards and picking them up at baggage reclaim 😉

smokey_jo

As there’s two of us we can save 200 euro minimum per trip so in 3 years they will have paid for themselves as we tend to go twice per year and I’m not looking to buy anything spendy – just something not trashed.

TheDTs
    Free Member

With buying skis, I mostly buy used of eBay. Bought a pair new from ekosport Nordica Nrg which are great in anything soft, piste or off. They were heavily discounted season or two old model. Ski Barn (eBay) have come up good for me too. All ex hire but good condition. Possibly been through the base grinder a bit but if you are only getting a few weeks a year our of them they should be fine for a few years.

sprootlet
    Free Member

For smokey jo
    I’ve used both Glisshop and ekosport and they were both fine although my skis from ekosport didn’t arrive in time due to New Year.
    We have a pair of K2 all terrain rocker skis about 180cm long going spare. I can guarantee they have been looked after, my other half didn’t have them long before he started venturing more off piste. Let me know and I can email photos and more details about them if you’re interested.

smokey_jo

Cheers both, unfortunately.@sprootlet they would be a bit long for me, need something 165-170 ish.

Will check out ekosport and ski barn.

oldtennisshoes

I’ve bought a few pairs of skis from Ekosport and they’ve all been spot on. Just make sure you are careful with communicating the boot size if they are fitting bindings for you.

pedlad

Starting to get excited. Driving to Aosta with the family for half term (Pila, Courmayeur, La Thuile, Cervinia). Weather has been very weird this last week as already commented so hopefully going to cool down a bit and get a top up. After using my now v old carvers I’ve decided to hire skis for at least the first few days to see how much better the tech is these days so reading the above mixed experiences of hire skis, hopefully I get something that is decent and recent.

Stoner
    Free Member

A foot of snow in the PDS yesterday, temperatures below freezing again, but climbing through the weekend. Pleney has snow cover again for now.

https://www.morznet.com/webcams/portes-du-soleil

BoardinBob

Timely! I’m off to Chatel on Friday for a long weekend

andy8442
    Free Member

Does anyone have any idea how the lower areas of the PDS are looking?

Stoner
    Free Member

What would you call the lower areas Andy? All the areas have snow, just not always all the way down to the road or valley bottom. At the moment even pleney is white.

Even st Jean d’aulps looks good on the webcams right now. Might not last long but I’m heading out tomorrow so will update at the weekend.

Keep an eye on morznet webcams for conditions

Stoner
    Free Member

Bob we should see if we can grab a beer this weekend

andy8442
    Free Member

Cheers Stoner. We’ll be spending time on the Grande Terche and Avoriaz from the Ardent lift. We’re not going until half term, so hopefully it gets colder and a bit more snow please.

Stoner
    Free Member

You wont have any problems at Ardent and up to Avoriaz (That’s my main way up).
    La Grande Terche is usually OK, but limited if the tour of the Domaine du Roc d’Enfer is not open because of poor snow off the back.
    https://www.rocdenfer.com/fr/webcam.php

“Plateau” is the top of the Terche, but bottom of the upper slopes.
    “Tetes” is the top of the first area above Plateau and runs back down to plateau, but also links to the Col du Graydon and into the tour route
    “Follys” is the col on the way basck from the tour, if there’s no snow there, the tour is a problem.

cobrakai

By the way Stoner, my cousin lives in the Essert Romand area across from Montriond. He’s lived across the Alps for the best part of 30 years but for the past 2 years he’s been managing/setting up/God knows what a company in Morzine.

On the chefs night off we all went to Alba bar in st Jean d’aulps. Haggis bon bons with an Indian twist is my new favourite mountain food.

nbt

Not good news from the 4th valley in the 3 Valleys – Orelle gondola is closed for a fortnight

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151420&highlight=

Stoner
    Free Member

I like essert rommand

Mrs S and I will be doing the tour of the roc denfer at St J d’a either this weekend or Monday if the conditions are right so might have to track down haggis bon bons

Stoner
    Free Member

IMG-20200207-103056728-HDR

@boardinbob
    Ht Chatel looking good this morning. Fresh snow this week is v hard packed but not icy. Pistes are running v fast. Slack is tracked out. Day of carving in the sunshine. Low temps so should stay OK for the a good while yet.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

How was the snow? Yes not bad, although I caught a stinking cold on the flight

😷

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51425702

julians
    Free Member

I’m looking to get away with the boy on a cheap long weekend from 20th feb to 23rd feb ( i know , the back end of school hols), flights to geneva are looking cheap, but I cant find any cheap accomodation in any of the ski resorts, its either mega bucks or I have to book a whole week.

Anyone got any suggestions of where we can go for a bit of cheap ,easy skiing? doesnt have to be a mega resort as he’s only 8 years old and is only confident on easy blues, so somewhere small off the usual brit ski resort radar might suit as long as there is snow.

vinnyeh

I’m looking to get away with the boy on a cheap long weekend from 20th feb to 23rd feb ( i know , the back end of school hols), flights to geneva are looking cheap, but I cant find any cheap accomodation in any of the ski resorts, its either mega bucks or I have to book a whole week

put a wanted ad in the chalets direct solution room?

julians
    Free Member

Vinneyeh – nice one, didn’t know about that, have put something up, will see what comes back.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Going to Monterosa in a couple of weeks, staying near Gressoney. First time in the area, any tips?

We just arrived in gressoney- two hours ago. Are you here now, and are you interested in meeting up for some good off piste?

Will be mainly skiing with the family but quite fancy a day where I can ski some moderate gnarr without having to worry about anyone I deeply love.

Assuming you have Pieps etc ….

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Just back from a week in Les Arcs, where conditions were a bit mixed

Sunday started with snow, but the temperature soon rose and it turned to rain. It poured down for the whole day, had to stop at around 11:30 as we were saturated

Monday was a bit moody, high lifts were all closed, but managed to get a full day in. Given the rain the day before conditions were better than expected

Tuesday brought a good dump of snow and very strong winds, high lifts were closed and as the wind got stronger more and more lifts closed. They briefly opened a couple up again, but soon closed all but one lift until the end of the day.

Wednesday was a mostly clear day and following the snow on Tuesday off piste was (mostly on). Ice could be found underneath the powder, so some sections were very tricky with the snow having drifted lots. I got caught out coming back onto the piste on my first run down the hill and hit a small solid block of ice. This sent me down onto my front and twisted my knee. Carried on until lunch, but that was the end of my week due to my knee injury.

Thursday and Friday were both clear sunny days and the only days when the highest lifts opened. Hopefully some better luck next year.

BoardinBob

@boardinbob
    Ht Chatel looking good this morning. Fresh snow this week is v hard packed but not icy. Pistes are running v fast. Slack is tracked out. Day of carving in the sunshine. Low temps so should stay OK for the a good while yet.

Hi mate. Headed straight to Les Gets yesterday and did Les Gets, Morzine and Avoriaz yesterday then headed to Chatel to the hotel.

Up early today and did Morgins, Champoussin, Les Crosets, Avoriaz, Lindarets and finished back in Chatel.

Think we’re heading to Ardent tomorrow. Ride until 3 then down to Geneva for the flight home.

Snow and weather has been fantastic. My mates first time riding here and he’s now a total PDS convert.

bensongd
    Free Member

Slightly snow related….
    Anybody tried datawax polar x on their dry slope board or ski’s?

Applied some to my board today, wondering if it’ll be a revelation or hardly noticeable.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Just wondered if anyone has giro goggles in particular lenses by Zeiss? What do you think of them?
    I have Smith i/os at the moment and whilst they are a lovely lens they do not seem to be the most robust and get scratched very easily.
    Tried on Oakley flight decks and they are huge on my pinhead, tried Cairn Magnetik and they seemed to be low on my nose.
    Ideally want a quality lens that is a bit more robust than my Smith, open to suggestions but they need to be a smaller goggle

nbt

I’ve been using Summit Goggles for the past few yars and they now do a smaller range – worth checking them out. Mrs NBT has a smaller head and uses child-szed Oakley o-frames

smokey_jo

I have a pair of the magnetic Summits – the normal ones are fairly tall so definitely go for the smaller size. Lenses have held up well over the last 3 seasons.

Bought the new skis at the weekend following 2 years of poor ski hire quality, now need ot find a bag.

Usually fly with Jet2 so we have a 22KG limit so it will only be skis and some gear that go in, not boots.

Any recommendations for a bag that will take 2 pairs of skis/poles and jackets and salopettes?

sprootlet
    Free Member

Thanks Julian, I’ll have a look at Summit goggles

For smokey jo – Ellis Brigham have a couple of sale EVOC ski roller bags at the moment – blue in colour and £87 instead of £145…..

We have a dakine roller that has been great if you can find one going cheap. We manage to get 2 pairs of skis in by having 1 pair flat then the other pair along the edges of the bag with the ski brakes in the up position

Stoner
    Free Member

Looking good @boardinbob !

But no one’s going very far today thanks to #stormciara
    All but Les Gets/Ranfoilly/Nyon closed today, and they’ll be busy, windy and wet in places.

So Im off for a swim now 😉

Back again in a few weeks anyway, so no loss.

jimdubleyou

Usually fly with Jet2 so we have a 22KG limit so it will only be skis and some gear that go in, not boots.

Don’t you have to pay extra for oversize anyway?

smokey_jo

With Jet2 (as I understand it) we have to pay for Sports Equipment which is £35 each way. Going to try and get down to 1 hold bag, 2 hand luggage and 1 ski bag next year.

bikerevivesheffield

Anyone in the grand massif area?

sprootlet
    Free Member

I was there for all of Jan, currently UK then back in March.

If you want up to date weather we found that snowforecast.com was pretty accurate this year.

BoardinBob

Biblical rain overnight and this morning in the PDS

Pleney back to green grass. 150km/h winds up in avoriaz. A huge change from the past 2 days!

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 531 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2019-2020 season’ is closed to new replies.